Since a lot of people were curious about if the WWE Network would be available on Apple TV, and how it would look compared to the other platforms out there, I went ahead and put together this video walkthrough and review. There are a bunch of pros to using an Apple TV for the Network, but one caveat that can be seen as a con.
In this video I cover:
- How to subscribe to the WWE Network on Apple TV and skip the signup issues plaguing other devices
- How to link your Apple TV purchase to your WWE.com account so you can access the Network everywhere
- How to link your Apple TV purchase to other Apple TVs
- How to use AirPlay to send WWE Network content from your iOS device to an Apple TV wirelessly
I also give an interface tour and my overall thoughts on how the WWE Network looks and feels on Apple's set-top box. I'll be doing more videos focusing on other devices as well, so if there's one you'd like me to focus on, feel free to contact me on Facebook or Twitter and let me know. Keep an eye on our YouTube channel (you can subscribe here!) to see the new stuff as it drops.
If you like what you see from the Apple TV, you can pick one up here from Apple.
Don't forget to subscribe to Gear Live's YouTube channel!
Well, the rumors were correct on the mysterious device that momentarily showed up on Google's support page. The Chromecast is a media dongle that allows you to sling web content the web and cloud-stored content, using a smartphone or Chrome browser as a remote control. It's a bummer that it still doesn't have the ability to stream or mirror content stored on the device like Apple's AirPlay, but hey, for $35, we can't complain.
Read More | Google
A few eagle-eyed Google support page visitors spotted a mysteriously unknown device dubbed Chromecast. It has since been removed from the site, as if it never existed. Luckily, someone took a screenshot for posterity. There are no concrete details of what it actually is. However, there is some speculation of it being an HDMI dongle streaming device for TVs, while websites like Droid Life say it might be a Apple AirPlay-like feature to sling content from a Cromebook to the TV. Hopefully, the mystery will be solved at today's Google event. In the meantime, let the speculation continue.
Read More | Droid Life
- Wi-Fi Upload - Allows users to upload files directly to the iOS version of VLC through a web browser on the PC or Mac.
- Dropbox Integration - Play media directly from Dropbox or download it for offline playback.
- Download from Web - Download files from any web server for offline playback
- Network Streams - Play any network streams support by VLC media player for desktop operating systems
- 3rd-Party App Integration - Any app with a 'share' dialog can use VLC for iOS for media playback
- Video Filters - Video playback can be modified for brightness, contrast, hue, saturation or gamma in real time.
HBO went along and updated its content streaming app and is making good use of the iOS multitasking API when using AirPlay. So, users can venture off into other apps such as Tweetbot to tweet about their favorite Game of Thrones moments as they stream it to their Apple TV. Speaking of Game of Thrones, HBO has added more enhancements to its interactive experience when watching the show on iOS.
What's New in Version 2.1
- Includes AirPlay multitasking capability -- other apps can be used while video continues to stream via AirPlay.
- Enhancements to the interactive features experience for Game of Thrones
- General performance enhancements
Read More | HBO Go
Apple has released OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 build 12D68, about a week after the release of OS X 10.8.3 12D65. The company asks developers to focus on AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, graphics drivers, and Safari. OS X 10.8.3 has seemed to be stuck in developer builds for quite a while, but as the timeframe between dev releases is getting shorter and shorter, that means that there is less and less to fix. If we find anything new, we'll let you know. Developers--grab this update in the Mac App Store.
Apple has seeded OS X 10.8.3 build 12D65 to developers just a week after releasing the 12D61 build. Apple is asking developers to focus on AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, graphics drivers, and Safari in 12D65. The update also appears to fix the "File:///" bug that currently plagues OS X, where by typing that into a text field, you immediately crash the app you are working in. If you're a Mac dev, you can grab the update through the Mac App Store right now.
Apple has released an update to iTunes 11 that fixes a few bugs and reintroduces some essential functionality. In iTunes 11.0.1, you'll discover that duplicate item finding has been brought back, making it easy to purge duplicate items from your iTunes library. Additionally, iCloud items are now appearing like they're supposed to, and the AirPlay button now behaves and shouldn't disappear anymore. You can get the latest update now.
Saying "finally" never gets old, especially when used appropriately: the YouTube for iOS app from Google is now, finally, updated to handle iPhone 5 4-inch display, as well as the two size flavors of iPad. The update fixes a head scratcher with AirPlay: Google for "reasons unknown" deciding to limit AirPlay functionality when the app first launched, even though AirPlay is on by default whenever you code an app that has any video functionally. Here is a list of more features of version 1.1.04126. Hopefully I didn't misplace a decimal point.
- Optimized for iPad and iPhone 5
- Stream videos with AirPlay
- Tap logo to open your Guide of channels
- Add and remove videos from your playlists
Read More | YouTube for iOS
Along with arrival of iTunes 11, Apple has released version 3.0 of its popular univeral Remote app for iOS. The updates has iTunes 11 support and is said to be simpler and easier to use. Plus, Apple included a redesigned experience for the iPad version which has better search and album expanded views. More after the break.