- STICKY POST
- I'm done, close this
Check out our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide, win some awesome gadgets!
Our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide is in full swing - we are adding our recommendations daily, aimed at men, women, teens, families, techies, and more. If you need help figuring out what to get the people in your life, head on over to our Guide for some ideas. We’ll even be giving away some of the items featured this year!
Thursday July 5, 2007 8:17 pm
How To: Use IRC On The iPhone With Colloquy
Since the iPhone launched, we have been on the lookout for all the cool web apps that we were sure would begin to show up. We have had quite a few come along, but just a few minutes ago we were able to log in to IRC on our iPhone, and thought that was pretty nifty. So much so, in fact, that I thought we’d share the process on how to do it yourself. Do note, though, that we used Colloquy to help us out here - that is an OS X application, so you do need a Mac to use this method.
So, here are the steps you want to take:
- First, be sure you already have Colloquy installed. You can pick it up free at the Colloquy site. One you have that done, go ahead and download the Colloquy Web Interface Add-on plugin.
- Install the plugin in ~/Library/Application Support/Colloquy/PlugIns by dragging it to that directory.
- Now you need to fire up Terminal. Set a password with this command: defaults write info.colloquy WebInterfacePassword yourpassword
- Open or relaunch Colloquy.
- Visit http://YourIP:6667 on your iPhone.
- Enter the password that you created in the Terminal command.
From there, you get a look at the available IRC channels. Log in, and let the fun ensue!
Give it a shot, and let us know how it goes or if you run in to any trouble. Check out our full iPhone IRC walkthrough gallery for a few more images of the setup process.
© Gear Live Inc. – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.