"We'll continue to participate in CES as a great place to connect with partners and customers across the PC, phone and entertainment industries, but we won't have a keynote or booth after this year because our product news milestones generally don't align with the show's January timing," Microsoft said in a statement.
Ballmer is scheduled to take the stage at CES in Las Vegas on Jan. 9 at 6:30pm. It will be the Microsoft CEO's third keynote appearance; he took over in 2009 after Bill Gates retired in 2008 to focus on philanthropic efforts.
In recent years, however, the Microsoft CES keynotes have not included anything particularly spectacular or unexpected.
It's the beginning of a new year, and in the technology world, that means it's time for CES. We'll be hitting Vegas this week to cover the biggest consumar electronics show in these here United States later this week, where we expect to bring you a ton of breaking news. CES is where consumer electronics manufacturers shows off their upcoming wares for the year, and it gives a general idea of where the industry is going (for the records, we expect tablets to be pretty big this year.)
For CES, we'll be part of the Sears Blue Blogger Crew, and we'll be working as part of a team of other technology experts as we aim to give you an in-depth look at the sights and sounds of the event:
- Jenna Hatfield, lead blogger at Stop, Drop and Blog; newspaper photographer and BlogHer contributing editor.
- Kris Cain, Kris Cain, lead blogger for LittleTechGirl, Tech Editor on Mom Blog Magazine, Host of Tech Talk After Dark on MomTV, editor and writer for the National Apple Gear and Chicago Tech Gear sections on Examiner.com.
- Andru Edwards, Editor-in-Chief of Gear Live (that's me!)
- Kelly Clay, a veteran blogger, works for Lockergnome, where she breaks news and analyzes trends in the tech industry. She currently lives in Seattle.
- Barbara Rozgonyi, founder of the Chicago chapter of the Social Media Club, reports on ways to grow business and build brands through her blog, WiredPRWorks.
Big thank you to Sears for covering our travel costs and expenses for this years Consumer Electronics Show.
© Gear Live Inc. – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.