The Worst SEO Mistakes
Posted: 19 March 2010 04:11 AM     [ Ignore ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-03-19

Everyone wants their websites to be search engine optimized, or SEO-friendly. However, there are some common errors that people make when they’re doing SEO work on their site, and these errors can actually cost them that highly coveted top ten ranking that everyone wants. Here are some things to avoid when doing SEO work on your website.

Remember the ALT tags! Almost every image on your website (not including the background and any images that serve as buttons and the like) needs to have ALT text. This is the text that shows up if the image doesn’t load. More importantly, however, it’s the text that tells search engines
what the image is since the programs can’t actually see the picture. A good ALT tag will include two or three of your keywords, and it’s a great place to stick in extra keywords that the viewer will (hopefully, unless your image is missing) never see.

Don’t use the same title tag on every page of your site. While it may be easy to simply write one title for your homepage and then leave it on every page, this is another place where you’re losing out on a place to stick keywords. Vary the title for each page so that search engines will notice the difference, and try to include different keywords for different pages.

Avoid scripts! While Flash and the like are becoming more compatible with search engines, it’s still difficult for more search engines to see inside Flash objects. This means you’re losing places to put meta tags, ALT tags, and more.

Don’t just write for robots. While writing articles with a high keyword density might get your page ranked higher by the search engine, it’s going to send actual human readers away. They don’t want to read anything redundant or clumsy. “Our furniture store in London provides great furniture for London residents looking for furniture designed specifically for London” is going to either annoy readers or make them laugh at the horrible writing. Be sure your SEO phrases and such can be integrated into the text seamlessly so they don’t stand out and don’t over-use them.

Also, actually write your website text yourself (or hire someone to write it). Don’t plagiarize - don’t copy and paste text off of one website and put it on yours without making it clear where the text came from. Too much duplicate text on your page will be flagged by search engines.

Posted: 22 March 2010 09:25 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-22

This is good. It is partial all what one needs for seo. But to me the most important thins are the off-page seo, i.e the links you get to your site.

Posted: 26 March 2010 02:25 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2010-03-24

very useful information for seo. It is very funny to read “Our furniture store in London provides great furniture for London residents looking for furniture designed specifically for London” LOL

Posted: 01 April 2010 04:42 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-04-01

Only one word to describe such a post “Excellent”.

Posted: 02 April 2010 02:22 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2009-08-31

While it may be easy to simply write one title for your homepage and then leave it on every page,But to me the most important thins are the off-page seo,

Posted: 06 April 2010 11:52 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-04-06

Thanks for the information and its been amazing to read so from the next time it will not to be happened again.
Also the small things have to be mention here really good one.

Posted: 08 April 2010 10:31 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-08-07

Yes, It’s can be worst SEO Mistake but these information pretty useful to people.

Posted: 13 April 2010 10:29 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
N00b
Joined  2010-04-12

This is good stuff… make sure to also include a varied list of keyword phrases in the anchor text and title=”” attributes of links on your page. Always vary your keyphrases and keep keyword density somewhere between 5%-20% (because of how the content reads, not a search engine concern)

Can we keep this thread going? Any other SEO principles we can list?

Posted: 15 April 2010 11:09 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-04-15

SEO i think always i have read the positive thoughts about it but here its been good to read the worst case of it.

Posted: 16 April 2010 02:28 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-04-16

Its true that mistakes may cost heavily,still we should remember that men learn from mistakes.
No matter what instructions or suggestions you provide, one would get to know about his lack in knowledgw, when practically doing it.

Posted: 28 April 2010 12:32 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2010-04-28

sadly to say, there are many seo provider using the spamming method to do SEO,  read the post here http://www.gearlive.com/forums/viewthread/22579 another worst SEO mistake they made.

Posted: 29 April 2010 11:29 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
N00b
Joined  2010-03-17

Hello,
i think the most five worst mistake is below….....
1-Not having a unique title for every page
This mistake occurs at lots of websites, and even big companies commit this SEO blunder. A web page title is a great way of telling your human visitors and the search engine crawlers what information/content your page contains. It?s a great opportunity to use your keywords to convey the main idea of your web page. It makes no sense to have the same title ? your company?s name, or the list of services you provide ? throughout your website. If every page of your website is unique, so should be its title.
2- Having An Intricate, Complex Navigation System
If you use JavaScript, image maps or Flash to create your navigation then you can forget about leveraging its SEO benefits. Your navigation is like a guide map when the search engines come crawling. Through your navigation the search engines find your various pages, and if the navigation is inaccessible to them, even if you have thousands of pages, unless they have been specifically linked from your home page or from some external page, they are never going to be indexed by the search engines.
3-Not Targeting The Right Keywords
People spend tons of money on SEO to find they are not getting the right traffic or people simply don?t want to do business with them. They don?t realise that they are not attracting those who would like to do business with them, until it?s too late. Be sure what keywords you want to target. Do proper research and use the right tools to zero in on the precise keywords your website requires.
4-Not Using Keywords In The Anchor Text
It?s strange that people still use ?Click here? and ?Go to this page? to send visitors to their important web pages. Instead of having Click here to know more about my web designing services you should have ?read more about my web designing services?. This way the search engines know where the link goes to. It?s very important to have your main keywords in your anchor text.
5-Not Having a Sitemap
Although very few human visitors use the sitemap to find pages on your website (I look for a sitemap sometimes when I don?t find the appropriate page/pages), the search engine crawlers really love them. Through your sitemap they can crawl every important page of your website with no fuss. You should have a sitemap and then you should link to it from practically every page of your website. In fact, have it at the top of every page so that the search engine crawlers can find it as soon as they enter your website. Maintain a sitemap manually or use your content management system to regenerate your sitemap whenever you add new content to your website.

Regards,

share tips   ||  stock tips

Posted: 06 May 2010 04:25 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
N00b
Joined  2010-05-06

Using the same title for every page doesn’t penalize you btw, it just won’t open you up to more keyword variations in SEO.

Posted: 11 May 2010 10:13 AM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-05-11

Great post.
I think I can now avoid the mistakes I often make.