iPhone battery replacement gone wrong
Posted: 07 June 2008 02:09 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-06-07

Well I replaced my iPhone’s battery the other day, had it working fine again for about a day, then it died. After re-opening it up, I noticed the 2nd (white/middle) wire had come undone.. saweeet. So I wound up just taking out the battery all together and ordered a new one. I guess I won’t find out until I put in a new battery, but will the loss of the White/Middle wire from the battery to the phone for a short amount of time have damaged or killed this iPhone?

Posted: 07 June 2008 04:10 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  222
Joined  2008-05-31

It probably won’t damage the iPhone, but I don’t suggest you try opening it without reconnecting it. It can cause a short circuit, a battery connection malfunction, or incorrect opening of the iPhone, all of which can damage the phone. Just don’t tamper with it until a replacement arrives and you should be fine 😊

Posted: 07 June 2008 04:23 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2008-06-07

Thanks, I just want a little re-assurance here. I disconnected the remaining 2 wires from the battery, in the order Red then Black (white was already disconnected). I will leave the phone battery-less until the replacement arrives in the mail, and I’ll make sure I solder and tape down the 3 wires 110% better than last time so this doesn’t happen again.

Posted: 07 June 2008 10:27 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-05-26

You shouldn’t have tried to replace the battery yourself… the iPhone was designed so that you cannot open it… and if you can open it, it takes alot of time to put it back together, and when you were opening it, you could have caused some cosmetic damage.

Posted: 08 June 2008 12:13 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2008-06-07

Opening and putting back together an iPhone isn’t much harder than opening a regular 3g/4g iPod in my experience. I’ve managed to salvage plenty of out of warranty iPods by replacing battery’s and hard drives and didn’t realize that Apple’s little battery scheme until I opened it up and saw how the battery was configured. The video off this site was a good heads up, but it’s quite ridiculous that any phone’s battery in the world would be soldered in like this, not to mention they want to charge $80 USD for the replacement through them when the battery costs no more than $5 or $6 bucks off eBay. As for cosmetic damage, there is likely a plastic casing that can hide any of the tiny dents on the edges of the back plate… or ya could even buy a new backplate off eBay for $40 bucks lol :o

Posted: 08 June 2008 12:21 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-26
jayryan1 - 08 June 2008 03:13 AM

Opening and putting back together an iPhone isn’t much harder than opening a regular 3g/4g iPod in my experience. I’ve managed to salvage plenty of out of warranty iPods by replacing battery’s and hard drives and didn’t realize that Apple’s little battery scheme until I opened it up and saw how the battery was configured. The video off this site was a good heads up, but it’s quite ridiculous that any phone’s battery in the world would be soldered in like this, not to mention they want to charge $80 USD for the replacement through them when the battery costs no more than $5 or $6 bucks off eBay. As for cosmetic damage, there is likely a plastic casing that can hide any of the tiny dents on the edges of the back plate… or ya could even buy a new backplate off eBay for $40 bucks lol :o

hahhah… i watch tekzilla, and they said that it was very hard to open it without damaging it… i have a question though… since the 3G version of the iPhone is comming out on monday, why don’t you sell the old one on ebay and use the money to purchase the 3G one??? and since the price of the 3G iPhone might be lower, you might even be able to sell it at a price that covers the entire purchase of the 3G iPhone.

Posted: 08 June 2008 12:27 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2008-06-07

The phone isn’t mine, much like most of the Apple products that get tossed my way.. I just like to lend a hand when people have given up on their stuff whether it’s out of warranty or they just don’t feel like paying lots of $$ for repairs or whatever. I was asked when the new G comes out so thanks you cleared that up for me 😊 Personally, I would never buy an iPhone, I’m waiting for Nvidia’s APX 2500 or something of the likes, I’ve been looking at HTC’s Diamond and various other phones of the same nature… it’s really just tough choosing considering everything with a nice little processor in it running the latest Windows Mobile is $450+... I’d love suggestions…. but I would personally never buy an Apple iPhone!

Posted: 08 June 2008 12:46 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-26
jayryan1 - 08 June 2008 03:27 AM

The phone isn’t mine, much like most of the Apple products that get tossed my way.. I just like to lend a hand when people have given up on their stuff whether it’s out of warranty or they just don’t feel like paying lots of $$ for repairs or whatever. I was asked when the new G comes out so thanks you cleared that up for me 😊 Personally, I would never buy an iPhone, I’m waiting for Nvidia’s APX 2500 or something of the likes, I’ve been looking at HTC’s Diamond and various other phones of the same nature… it’s really just tough choosing considering everything with a nice little processor in it running the latest Windows Mobile is $450+... I’d love suggestions…. but I would personally never buy an Apple iPhone!

alright. I am too waiting for the Nvidia APX… i have a hTC Touch right now… i’m disappointed in them. When the Nvidia APX is released… i doubt the price would be under 500… at least 700 bucks i’d guess. But WOW. those amazing graphics is just wonderful, it’s better then Vista’s Aero Interface… though i don’t like the carouse wheel navigation on the APX

Posted: 08 June 2008 01:41 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  222
Joined  2008-05-31

Not understanding your iPod jargon :lol: But are you saying that the iPod batteries are cheap retail store models? That’s outrageous T___T I thought all the portable ones had special custom batteries that needed to be delicately handled and replaced…
Exactly how does the iPod look like? I’ve never come within 2 feet of any before, surprisingly…

Posted: 08 June 2008 11:29 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2008-06-07

Sky, I just meant that the iPhone battery is not expensive, you can buy it really cheap through eBay or somewhere that is not Apple. It is a joke that Apple charges people so much $$$ to fix stuf they shouldn’t have break in the first place. An iPod basically looks the same on the outside front/back only the menu/click wheel is different for navigation, on the inside it’s somewhat the same only iPod batteries were never soldered in, they always had a little plug.

tsun, what do you not like about your HTC?

Posted: 08 June 2008 11:40 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

So you tried opening the iphone- because apple wants to charge a load for a replacement?
Eh, somehow im not suprised.
Good job, I would have done it too =D
@tsunzilla really? everyone else is saying that the htc was so much better than the iPhone- Do you mean as far as quality of construction or just the general device?