A political band for the insane!(metal? rock? who knows!)
Posted: 05 June 2008 04:15 AM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

They’re my all time favorite band and they’ve been around a while, they’re System of A Down!
They come from Armenia and they’re all about thinking in ways that could help people pay attention to the problems at hand. At first sound they may seem to be a bunch of psychos but even on the youtube comments people can get into deep conversation about what they mean through their song.
Famous songs like B.Y.O.B. (or “Bring Your Own Bombs”) and Boom! look to be the most politically stimulating songs they have released.  B.Y.O.B speaks about the government feeding us lies, and how they always send the poor to the frontline to be killed in war, while Boom! talks about how nothing is ever solved by sending nukes everywhere, and asks why we have to kill all the time. The music video includes the members of the band being part of the famous 2003 anti-war rally, described by wikipedia as

“The February 15, 2003 anti-war protest was a coordinated day of protests across the world against the imminent invasion of Iraq. Millions of people protested in approximately 800 cities around the world. According to BBC News, between six and ten million people took part in protests in up to sixty countries over the weekend of the 15th and 16th; other estimates range from eight million to thirty million”

The biggest anti-war rally in the entire world. It also includes small interviews of people including Vietnam vets who were protesting.
The band is currently on hiatus, but the lead singer is becoming famous as a temporary solo artist who goes by the name of Serj Tankian- and the lead guitarist Daron Malakian and drummer John Dolmayan have formed “Scars on Broadway”.
If you like the two songs I’ve talked about I encourage you to listen to some of their other music, It’s great for the crazy people like me. 😉

B.Y.O.B.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hJ5Tp97UgyQ&feature=user

Boom!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K7yAO-QCSWA