Where Spam Is Born
Posted: 01 June 2008 08:06 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-05-26

WHERE DO THE SPAM, viruses, and worms infest-ing the Internet come from? Team Cymru, a secu-rity research firm in Burr Ridge. IL. ranks countries according to the number of internal Internet addresses where malicious content originates, it also provides finer-grained information about which addresses are the most troublesome. The worst offenders: China, by far, followed by Brazil, Turkey, and the United States “A lot of countries and organizations have been grap-pling with cybersecurity issues,” says Team Cymru’s Tim Wilde. “But this shows areas we need to target”

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:11 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

It comes from people who instead of letting everyoe have fun they have to ruin it by making these little pests. People will be people I guess and do whatever, and making it hard on everyone else. It also comes from people downloading things that they shouldnt be downloading and spreading it to others.

Posted: 02 June 2008 09:32 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

Russia is too low in this rating,Maybe thats coz they have pro spammers,China really doesn’t surprize me neither does brazil but turkey,what there,don’t they have something else to do.

Posted: 02 June 2008 09:35 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

actually i was suprised that china was the highest
i would expect japan if anything, since theyre usually considered the most high tech
id imagine more people use computers there
but… theyre at the bottom????

Posted: 02 June 2008 03:50 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-06-01

I would have thought Nigeria would be #1.  I mean I keep getting those emails about the bukundoud that has so much money in my name and needs me to give him my bank information.. Riiiight.

Posted: 02 June 2008 03:54 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

ya know everyone complains about getting one, but in the 7 years of having an email account iv only recieved that kind of email once, and it was sent straight to spam
maybe im just lucky?

Posted: 02 June 2008 07:30 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2008-04-30

I usually receive spam in yahoomail.

Posted: 02 June 2008 07:49 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2008-05-24

Sometimes when you go to different ‘get a free wii’ or ‘you’ve won a free xbox 360, click here to redeem’ , and then put your info in, it will take that info and put it on their spam lists. I had two accounts, one i used for real mail, the other for everything else. I finally had to shut it down because i went to sites like that (to check it out and see just what was required) and i ended up getting emails galore.

there is a clause in the small print that no one ever bothers to read saying that you agree to allow them to share your info with their business partners and such, but not third party firms. everyone assumes that since the third party’ers are excluded, they won’t get spam. HAH!

Posted: 04 June 2008 08:54 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

I didn’t know how SPAM originated so this is quite interesting to read. I rarely received that much spam but of course, I still occasionally do. I think all the e-mail services now has that “Spam” folder where they are smart enough to automatically sort your e-mail that is spam. However, I have found some of the e-mails I need in the Spam folder, so make sure you guys don’t empty it right away without checking what is in there. 😉 I rarely give out my e-mail address nowadays, but in the end, spam does finds me and well, I have always wondered how. Spam truly is a huge part of the internet and well, it sure is annoying.

Posted: 04 June 2008 08:57 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

anyone notice their posts are different beside your name then on the homepage?

Posted: 04 June 2008 09:29 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-26

I think i’ve beaten the Spam system, i never get any spam on my hotmail account. never. I create over 5 gmail accounts, foward e-mails from one to another, then the last e-mail that every other one forwards to, i would then forward that e-mail to my hotmail, then use the g-mail accounts as website sign-ups. When i get spamed, one out of all the e-mail accounts will catch it, and my ending e-mail is spam free. I made a diagram…

Posted: 04 June 2008 11:09 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31
tsunzilla - 05 June 2008 12:29 AM

I think i’ve beaten the Spam system, i never get any spam on my hotmail account. never. I create over 5 gmail accounts, foward e-mails from one to another, then the last e-mail that every other one forwards to, i would then forward that e-mail to my hotmail, then use the g-mail accounts as website sign-ups. When i get spamed, one out of all the e-mail accounts will catch it, and my ending e-mail is spam free. I made a diagram…

Ah, that is a really smart idea!  My only question is what happens if you get a false positive?  What if a valid email gets blocked that you really want to read?  I do agree that that would get rid of almost all, if not all spam, but I feel there is a cost on the other side of the spectrum as well.  For me personally, I have never had to deal with that much spam.  I used to get a bunch of it a few years back, but since then I have closed that account.  Now, I end up getting more spam at work (which is rare to begin with) than on my personal e-mail!

Posted: 04 June 2008 11:26 PM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

thats genious! thanks, im actually going to try that out! but if theres a good email thats important ill know to expect it, so id check the primary email account if i didnt get it right away
that solves that problem! =D

Posted: 04 June 2008 11:27 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-05-30

Spam also comes through signing up at websites that sell your e-mail to other spam companies.  If you just post your e-mail out in the open on the web, on a forum for example, a spam bot can collect your e-mail address and add you to a list and start sending you spam.  The worst thing to do is click Unsubscribe and enter in your e-mail.  This is actually fake in all spam e-mails and confirms to the spammer that your e-mail is valid and being used and opens you up to more spam.  The only way to deal with spam is to create spam filters and add people you e-mail to your contacts list so that their e-mail doesn’t get sent to your Spam.  You should empty your Junk box from time to time so that it doesn’t become too full that you can’t browse through it and verify that legit e-mail didn’t accidentally get moved in there.

Posted: 04 June 2008 11:34 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

lol i think we all know where it comes from literally, but this is more referring to the physical location of its origin =)
quiet honestly after a few days of this thread being here im STILL suprised neither the united states or japan were on top

Posted: 05 June 2008 01:18 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-26
BuckeyeFanatic25 - 05 June 2008 02:09 AM
tsunzilla - 05 June 2008 12:29 AM

Ah, that is a really smart idea!  My only question is what happens if you get a false positive?  What if a valid email gets blocked that you really want to read?  I do agree that that would get rid of almost all, if not all spam, but I feel there is a cost on the other side of the spectrum as well.  For me personally, I have never had to deal with that much spam.  I used to get a bunch of it a few years back, but since then I have closed that account.  Now, I end up getting more spam at work (which is rare to begin with) than on my personal e-mail!

hmmm… i’ve never really thought about that, i’ve never had a e-mail that was not spam get blocked…. i guess if you should give your primary e-mail to your friends, but use the other g-mail e-mails as web-site sign-ups or something like that.

Posted: 05 June 2008 01:34 AM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-26
sharkhead7854 - 05 June 2008 02:34 AM

lol i think we all know where it comes from literally, but this is more referring to the physical location of its origin =)
quiet honestly after a few days of this thread being here im STILL suprised neither the united states or japan were on top

Oh god… China deserves it’s place as #1 spammer country. I helped my aunt build a new computer when i visited China, after a fresh install of XP, we plugged it in for a Windows Update, after that i opened internet explorer to navigate to mcafee, then pop-ups, wait… what? yes, pop-ups. the computer was infected. I had to format the computer and reinstall XP. It was not fun. I had to download firefox on another computer and install it on the freshly installed XP before i could connect it to the internet….