Cole Hamels Makes MLB Debut
Posted: 13 May 2006 01:00 AM     [ Ignore ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2006-04-06

Philadelphia Phillies pitching prospect, Cole Hamels, made his MLB debut tonight against the high-powered Cincinnati Reds, who lead the National League in runs scored coming into tonight’s matchup.  So, how did Hamels do?

He went five innnings, giving up only one hit, but five walks, along with zero runs and seven strikeouts.  Of his 92 pitches, only 51 were strikes, which is not a very good ratio, especially for Hamels who was dominating Triple A hitters before his call-up.

Consider the following numbers Hamels put up in three Triple A games this season - 23.0 innings pitched, 0.39 ERA, 0.48 WHIP (walk + hits per inning), 36 strikeouts, and pay attention, only ONE walk.  I think it’s safe to say that the bases on balls problem shown tonight by the 22-year-old left-handed rookie was a case of nerves.  And if the bottom of the second inning was any indication, he’ll get over it really soon.

In the that inning, Hamels walked Adam Dunn, then Brandon Phillips, and finally Javier Valentin.  So with the bases loaded and two outs, Hamels struck out opposing pitcher Elizardo Ramirez.  Granted, it was the pitcher he struck out, but that could have been a very big inning for the Reds.

So, how does the future look for Hamels?  He should continue to do well, but will in all likelihood be inconsistent to some degree, which is almost always the case with rookie pitchers not named Dwight Gooden.  Hamels should continue to make hitters miss the ball and get better command, but my concern for him is Citizens Bank Park and the hitters dimensions it offers.

Nonetheless, it’s hard to find lefties that can hit the mid-90s and come back with a ridiculous changeup that will make batters buckle their knees or stare incredulously.  Hey, that sounds like the Minnesota Twins’ Johan Santana… Hamels can only hope he’s as good as him.

If his debut is any indication, Hamels is on his way.