Some NHL players will become guinea pigs in November to test Therma Blade’s new heated skate blades. Inventor Tory Weber claims that the prototypes cut down on friction up to 50% and allow players to skate faster with less energy needed. There is a resistor in the blade that heats it by battery to 5º C (~41º F,) regulated by a microprocessor in the heel. Apparently the warmth thickens the film of water between the ice and the blade and acts as a lubricant. We don’t know much about the way skates work. We thought that perhaps there would be less chaos at the hockey rink if the players’ feet were warmer.
Read More | Reuters
People always ask, “Why buy the newest Madden game? They’re all the same.” Well, here’s one very cut-and-dry reason you can use to explain: because, eventually, these game’s servers get taken down. EA is planning to take down 42 games’ servers on September 1 (although many of these are the same game across multiple platforms), and an additional seven on November 1. This isn’t a new trend, as there’s a sizable list of servers for EA games that have gone offline over time.
Apparently there really is a reason to pick up that newest Madden.
September 1, 2007 Online Service Shutdown
- Arena Football for PlayStation 2
- Arena Football for Xbox
- FIFA Soccer 06 for Xbox 360
- FIFA Soccer 06 for PC
- FIFA06 for PC
- FIFA Soccer 06 for PlayStation 2
- FIFA Soccer 06 for PlayStation Portable
- FIFA Soccer 06 for Xbox
- FIFA World Cup 2006 for PC
- FIFA World Cup 2006 for PlayStation 2
- FIFA World Cup 2006 for PlayStation Portable
- FIFA World Cup 2006 for Xbox
- Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation Portable
- Fight Night Round 3 for Xbox
Check out the full list of September and November shutdowns after the break.