On Gear Live: ZTE Tempo X Smartphone Giveaway!

Latest Gear Live Videos

Lil Wayne Loses Endorsement Deal

Posted by Andru Edwards Categories: Artist News, Hip-Hop & Rap,

Lil WayneLil Wayne has lost a multi-million dollar endorsement deal with an American beverage giant.

The "Lollipop" rapper - who has epilepsy and suffered another seizure on Tuesday night - has been dropped by Mountain Dew over controversial lyrics that he penned about historic Mississippi teenager Emmett Till, who was beaten and murdered in a racist attack in 1955 after he allegedly flirted with a white woman.

The soft drinks brand, which is owned by PepsiCo, confirmed they have severed ties with the rapper and dropped their joint "DeWezzy" campaign on Friday because he wrote the line "beat the p***y up like Emmett Till" for the remix of Future's track "Karate Chop," which was leaked online in February.

"We do not plan any additional work with Lil Wayne moving forward. His offensive reference to a revered civil rights icon does not reflect the values of our brand," a spokesperson said.

Click to continue reading Lil Wayne Loses Endorsement Deal


Advertisement

New Marc Jacobs Ad Shocks, Humors

Posted by Robin Paulson Categories: Fashion Designers, Videos,

With fashion advertisements constantly pushing the boundries of what's acceptable to show to the public, it comes as no surprise that Marc Jacobs - a brand that has recently been slammed for portraying Dakota Fanning a la Lolita style in a fragrance ad - would come out with a sunglasses ad featuring a man who appears to be masturbating in public.

Seen above, the man - who was discovered to be an employee from the brand's retail store in SoHo - is initially seen from behind, making a movement with his right arm which indicates that he is pleasuring himself in the middle of a park. The ad then cuts to a frontal shot of him, and it is revealed that he is merely cleaning his sunglasses. Before leaving the frame of the shot, he gives the camera a wry smile.

Click to continue reading New Marc Jacobs Ad Shocks, Humors

Read More | Daily Mail

Madonna Backs Down from Wearing Muslim Bridal Dress

MadonnaMadonna has decided against wearing a Muslim bridal dress in her new music video over fears for her safety.

The 54-year-old singer was planning to don a "Terror Bride" outfit - a combination of a traditional Iraqi bridal veil and a US soldier's uniform - in the video for upcoming single "Superstar" as a statement against oppression against women and war, but her advisors convinced her to ditch the political stunt because of the outrage it would be likely to cause.

"Madonna had the outfit ready to go. She was really proud of it and said it was her 'Terror Bride' costume. She had paraded around in it and said she was going to wear it in her next music video. At first when people started telling her it was madness she just brushed it off. But when they mentioned that her actions could put her life at risk she decided to ditch it from her video and certainly won't be wearing it on stage," a source said.

The Celebration hitmaker - who is a devotee of Jewish offshoot religion Kabbalah - had already tried the costume on, and while she is said to be "really disappointed" about not wearing the outfit, she hasn't ruled out donning the attire in a music video at some point in the future.

Click to continue reading Madonna Backs Down from Wearing Muslim Bridal Dress


Students being pulled out of Chinese classrooms to build iPhone 5?

Posted by Jason Diaz Categories: Apple, Corporate News, Rumors,

Foxconn Student workers

We at Gear Live have been hearing early morning reports from Shanghai Daily that hardware manufacturer, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., AKA Foxconn, has been allegedly pulling Chinese students from classrooms in preparation to build Apple's iPhone 5. The social network, Sina Weibo, has been filling up with claims that at least 200 students from the Huaiyen Institute of Technology were being escorted to Foxconn factories under the guise of being enrolled in a "school to work program" or "Internship." The students will allegedly be paid $224 per month to work 12 hour shifts, six days a week. Now, possibly as a result of public scrutiny,  Shanghai Daily is reporting that students are being brought back to classrooms and instead are  being offered to volunteer for the so-called school to work program.

Click to continue reading Students being pulled out of Chinese classrooms to build iPhone 5?

Read More | Shanghai Daily

Shia LaBeouf Continues to Slam Big Studio System

Shia LaBeoufTransformers star Shia LaBeouf has denounced the Hollywood studio system.

Explaining his efforts to steer his career towards more independent films, LaBeouf - who is set to star in the upcoming Lars Von Trier film Nymphomaniac - has slammed what he believes is an inability to be creative in the big-budgeted film environment.

"There's no room for being a visionary in the studio system. It literally cannot exist. You give Terrence Malick a movie like Transformers, and he's f****d. There's no way for him to exist in that world," he said.

LaBeouf did admit, however, to regretting his negative comments on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (which prompted his co-star Harrison ford to call him an idiot): "He [Steven Spielberg] told me there's a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there's a time to sell cars. It brought me freedom, but it also killed my spirits because this was a dude I looked up to like a sensei."

Read More | The Hollywood Reporter

Michael Bay Tells Ninja Turtles Fans to ‘Chill’

Michael Bay

Michael Bay has called for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans to "chill."

The filmmaker caused outrage when he recently claimed that the reboot of the project which he will be producing will show the main characters Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo and Raphael as members of an "alien race," but after vocal opposition from fans he has tried to allay the public's fears.

"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world. Michael," he wrote on the forum of his site.

Click to continue reading Michael Bay Tells Ninja Turtles Fans to ‘Chill’


Gary Friedrich & Ghost Rider

Posted by Tom Mason Categories: Editorials, Marvel Comics,

Bullpen BulletinsThis made the rounds of Facebook all day the other day. It's a little snippet about Gary Friedrich, Ghost Rider and who created what.

I couldn't trace it back to the original poster, so I apologize for not giving him or her their deserved credit, especially in a post about credits!

One of the issues between Marvel Comics and Gary is the issue of Gary's credit as the sole creator of Ghost Rider.

While it may not be definitive, this is an excerpt from Marvel's own Bullpen Bulletins page in August 1972.

Marvel says of Ghost Rider: "...this GR is a mad, mod, mystic hero who straddles both the world of motorcycles - and the supernatural! (And that's some job of straddling!) It's by the titanic team of Groovy Gary Friedrich who dreamed the whole thing up, and Madcap Mike Ploog, whose own Werewolf by Night series is scheduled to gain its very own mag in a month or two!"

Daniel Best, who originally broke the story of Gary's fight with Marvel, has an update separating fact from rumor.

[Artwork: Bullpen Bulletins, © Marvel Comics]


Bruno Mars Sues His Publisher

Posted by Andru Edwards Categories: Artist News, Gossip, Hip-Hop & Rap, Pop,

Bruno Mars"Just the Way You Are" crooner Bruno Mars is suing his publisher. The singer - whose real name is Peter Hernandez - has filed a lawsuit asking a judge to free him from a contract with Bug Music, which he claims ended on May 12, 2011 when the company didn't exercise its option to continue it.

The 25-year-old singer's lawyer, Michael J. Niborski, told the Los Angeles County Superior Court on Tuesday that Bug originally acknowledged they would have to extend the contract in order for a deal to continue between the two. He added that when Bruno expressed his wish to leave the publisher, they "shifted gears, and suddenly argued that Mars had not, in fact, met the minimum release requirements."

The documents also claim Bruno had to submit all his music by February, giving Bug time to decide whether to continue their agreement with the "Nothin' On You" writer before the deal then expired in May. The organization counter claims Bruno is still under their contract and they own 50 per cent of the copyright to any music he makes.


Advertisers Leave Pretty Little Liars Over Lesbian Characters

Posted by Robin Paulson Categories: Drama, Prime Time, ABC, Gossip, News, Rumors,

Maya and Emily of Pretty Little Liars

Things are starting to get a bit controversial over at ABC Family.

Ever since Pretty Little Liars character Emily Fields came out as a lesbian on the show, it ruffled some conservative feathers over at the Florida Family Association (FFA), prompting the group to launch a campaign that aims to have advertisers pull out of the show over "irresponsible imagery" -- i.e., Emily's romantic scenes.

Click to continue reading Advertisers Leave Pretty Little Liars Over Lesbian Characters

Read More | E! Online

Amateur hacker takes credit for cracking BART police Web site

Posted by Andru Edwards Categories: Cell Phones, Internet,

BART's troubles with Anonymous hackers continued Wednesday with the apparent hacking of a BART Police Officers Association website and ensuing publication of private data belonging to more than 100 BART police officers.

A Pastebin posting of data obtained in what appears to have been a "serious security breach" of BARTpoa.com, according to Sophos' NakedSecurity blog, includes the names, home addresses, email addresses, and passwords belonging to officers employed by Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART).

And the latest attack on BART may have been done by a self-proclaimed first-time hacker.

Late Wednesday, Twitter accounts associated with Anonymous and the campaign against BART began pointing to a purportedly leaked Internet Relay Chat log in which a user called "Lamaline_5mg" claimed to have broken into the BARTpoa.com database, acting alone and using an SQL injection tool, a common means of network intrusion:

Click to continue reading Amateur hacker takes credit for cracking BART police Web site


Advertisement