The ever so popular photo filtering social app Instagram has gone version 3.5 and introduces the "Photo of You" feature. Basically, it's a photo tagging feature borrowed from their parent company, Facebook. So, narcissists of the world rejoice as a new section will be dedicated in your profile to photos of a very important person, you guessed it, you!
What's New in Version 3.5
- Introducing Photos of You! Add people to your photos & share who's with you
- Send us feedback about bugs & errors using the new "Report a Problem" feature
- Privacy settings can now be found on your Profile screen under Edit Your Profile.
Read More | Instagram
The fine folks at Tapbots have updated their popular iOS twitter client, Tweetbot, to version 2.8 for iOS. The update adds a new tab specifically for media timeline consumption, showing just the images and videos from those you follow. Additionally, you can now swipe right to left on any given tweet to reveal retweets and the number of users who favorited. Viewing photos has been made frictionless by eliminating the transition to another screen, much like the image viewer behavior of Tweetbot for OS X. Direct Tweetbot download links here: iPad and iPhone / iPod Touch.
What's New in Version 2.8
- New media timeline. Scroll to the top of a timeline and switch to the new media view (next to the search box). This view displays only supported image and video tweets.
- Completely redesigned image viewer
- Tweet/status detail view now displays the number of Favs and Retweets
- Fixed Instagram Previews
- Various other bug fixes
Read More | Tweetbot
Netflix 4.0 has arrived on the App Store, bringing new features to the video streaming service for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Netflix 4.0 introduces redesigned controls for episodic television show selection, audio, and subtitles. On the iPad specifically, TV show episode selection and navigation has become much more intuitive, with the rest of the improvements hitting the iPhone and iPod touch. In addition to all that, the typical bug fixes and optimizations are also baked in.
What’s New in Version 4.0
- This new app release makes watching Netflix TV shows and movies an even better experience.
- Easy episode selection with a brand new episode selector on the iPad
- Redesigned audio and subtitle selector on iPad and iPhone
- Bug fixes
You can download Netflix 4.0 now, for free.
Facebook has updated its iOS app to version 6.0 and has introduced two new features that are from the Facebook Home experience: Chat heads and stickers. Basically, chat heads are avatar icons of Facebook friends. They take up a small part of the screen whenever a user is messaging another Facebook friend, no matter where the user happens to be in the app. We assume that the goal is for it to be a frictionless experience when communicating with others friends; rather than having the chat feature limited to silos or in sections within the app. Along with the update, Facebook added a sticker feature, like emoticons, while messaging, seemingly aimed at teens and adults who might never publicly admit that they like the feature. Facebook for the iPad also sees a News Feed redesign that is cleaner with a bolder, more legible typeface. Gear Live tip: users might have to delete the old version first, or reboot the iDevice, in order to activate these new features now since Facebook is slowly rolling the feature out to users. Facebook 6.0 for iOS is now available in the App Store.
Read More | Facebook for iOS
HBO went along and updated its content streaming app and is making good use of the iOS multitasking API when using AirPlay. So, users can venture off into other apps such as Tweetbot to tweet about their favorite Game of Thrones moments as they stream it to their Apple TV. Speaking of Game of Thrones, HBO has added more enhancements to its interactive experience when watching the show on iOS.
What's New in Version 2.1
- Includes AirPlay multitasking capability -- other apps can be used while video continues to stream via AirPlay.
- Enhancements to the interactive features experience for Game of Thrones
- General performance enhancements
Read More | HBO Go
Apple has update Garageband for iOS for free with some new features, tweaks and fixes. The notable new features is Audiobus support within the app. Users can now add other compatible music and sound apps with the Audiobus feature, so get your creative touch music juices going and be the next Harlem Shake. GarageBand is priced $4.99 and its a universal app that works with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
What's New in Version 1.4
- Play and record music apps supported by Audiobus directly into GarageBand*
- Turn off grid snapping to get finer control over region and note editing
- Fixes an issue that resulted in feedback while connecting 3rd-party audio accessories into the headphone/microphone jack
Requires iPhone 4S, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 or later. Audiobus requires a separate purchase.
Read More | App Store
Video security surveillance app maker, SKJM, has updated its iCam app to version 2.2 and added some useful features. iCam now supports 256-Bit AES encryption, motion event image thumbnail gallery style, and supports the iPhone 5 4-inch display size. The update also includes various bug fixes and optimizations. I highly recommend this invaluable app. iCam has motion detection functionality sent via push notifiation alert with support for a bevy of third-party of security surveillance cameras. iCam is universal binary iOS app. Most notable feature: iCam for iPhone can support up to 12 simultaneous live video streams and the iPad up to 16. Don't don't have it? iCam is priced at $4.99 in the App Store.
What's New in Version 2.2
- Added support for 256-bit AES encryption.
- Added support for Motion Event Image Thumbnails.
- Added iPhone 5 screen size optimizations.
- Fixed various minor bugs.
Be sure to also update the iCamSource application running on your computer(s) to the latest version: http://skjm.com/icam/support.php
Read More | iCam
Skype, the popular video and VoIP calling service, has updated its iOS apps for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad to version 4.6. It includes a revamped user interface and improved calling experience. Here's the rundown of the changes:
What's New in Version 4.6
- Beautiful new calling experience
- Mark all your recent chats as read with just a few taps.
- General fixes and improvements
Apple has updated its iOS iWork apps with stability improvements and the usual bug eliminating maintenance for Keynote, Pages, and Numbers. You can grab the updates now, or if you don't own them, each app is $9.99 in the App Store.
Fantastical 1.1 has hit the App Store, and with it, our favorite iOS calendar app brings a bunch of great new features. The new version includes things like time zone support, the ability to set multiple alerts for calendar entries, event invitations, and you can even have the app badge itself with the current date or to show how many more calendar events the users has left for the rest of the day. It's a big update, one that Flexibits co-founder Michael Simmons wanted to show users that the company was paying attention to all the feature requests out there. If you aren't a Fantastical user, we urge you to give it a try--it's on sale for 20% off, so you can get Fantastical 1.1 for $3.99.
Read More | Fantastical for iOS