Monday March 6, 2006 11:21 pm
Dell To Purchase Alienware?
Pure speculation on the part of Rahul Sood (President and CTO of VoodooPC), but he seems to be of the mind that Dell will be beaming Alienware up into the Texas mothership. A quick blurb from his blog gives us an inkling into his thoughts on the matter.
- Dell is not unlike a big bad bear that has been awoken from his hibernation.
- Dell knows they need to grow, and they need to be perceived as a leading edge company.
- Dell can’t crack the “cool” factor with the Dell brand.
- I’m pretty sure if offered a check (cheque for my Canadian/U.K. brothers and sisters) the guys at AW may jump at the chance to cash it.
- Dell could take on another brand and grow it as an individual brand separate from Dell – perhaps?
I think it’s easy to agree with number three, and logic dictates they follow number five. If we believe that Dell can’t “crack the cool factor”, and they were to suck up another company that does have a better gaming/performance image, they would almost have to run it as a separate entity. If not, they’d risk diluting that which they sought after so desperately. On the other hand, with the introduction of their quad-SLI rig at CES, Dell certainly stunned the community, certain members of which never would have given Dell the time of day otherwise (and possibly still won’t).
Here’s a question for you - if you don’t buy Dell because they lack “street cred”, but Alienware is appealing to you, what happens if Alienware is owned by Dell? Is Alienware still worthy, or when you look at their little alien emblem do you picture Dell’s logo emblazoned across it’s head?
Read More | Rahul Sood
- Related Tags: