Monday September 24, 2012 11:09 pm
Apple TV 5.1 update brings Shared Photo Stream support, AirPlay improvements, more
Hot on the heels of the most successful iPhone release of all time, Apple has just released iOS 5.1 for the Apple TV, bringing with it new features that make it compatible with iOS 6 devices. Like what? Well, for starters, the device now supports the new Shared Photo Stream that you'll find in iOS 6 and iPhoto in Mountain Lion. There are also AirPlay feature additions and enhancements, new slideshow screensavers, the ability to reorder app icons on the main menu, and more. Hit the break for the full rundown, and hit up the settings area on your Apple TV to grab the update.
- Shared Photo Streams: Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.
- AirPlay: Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.
- iTunes account switching: Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.
- Trailers: Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.
- Screen savers: New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.
- Main menu: Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.
- Subtitles: SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.
- Network configuration: Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5437 for more information.
- Stability and performance: Includes general performance and stability improvements.
- Related Tags:
- airplay, apple, apple tv, apple tv 5.1, apple tv screensaver, ios 5.1, ios 6, itunes, mountain lion, photo stream, screensavers, set top box, shared photo stream, software update