< 1 2 3 4 5 > 
3 of 5
Do you feel that rap has taken over music?
Posted: 29 March 2005 11:48 AM   [ # 51 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3261
Joined  2004-11-09

[quote author=“ridv3490”][quote author=“yum114”]I dont see how ridv can say he hates and doesnt listen to rap when he know A. rapper names
B. Song names
C. lyrics to rap songs
:think:  :think:

😛 Its cause I used to listen to it in the whigger days….

ROFLMAO!  👏  :lol:  😢  :lol:

Posted: 29 March 2005 12:36 PM   [ # 52 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
Know It All
Total Posts:  6460
Joined  2004-12-22

[quote author=“drummergirl81”][quote author=“ridv3490”][quote author=“yum114”]I dont see how ridv can say he hates and doesnt listen to rap when he know A. rapper names
B. Song names
C. lyrics to rap songs
:think:  :think:

😛 Its cause I used to listen to it in the whigger days….

ROFLMAO!  👏  :lol:  😢  :lol:

LOL Okay, see, I have a question:

Is “whigger” supposed to be really offensive just like the N word? ‘Cause my friends and I thought it was for a while, so we’d never say it, lol

:?

Posted: 29 March 2005 02:17 PM   [ # 53 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2005-01-15
[quote author=“drummergirl81”][quote author=“Dissolution”]All the “cool” kids at my school listen to it. Rap sucks.

rap is trendy now like grunge was 12 or so years ago.  Some of it is good, some of it is tolerable, some of it blows.  I hate Usher.  I always have, I always will. Lil John.  :|  “YEAH!”  “WHAT?” STFU.  :roll:

Usher is R-N-B
Lil Jon is crunk music

neither are rap/hip hop…don’t get it confused.

Posted: 29 March 2005 03:11 PM   [ # 54 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-11-09
[quote author=“CharleyBrown”][quote author=“drummergirl81”][quote author=“Dissolution”]All the “cool” kids at my school listen to it. Rap sucks.

rap is trendy now like grunge was 12 or so years ago.  Some of it is good, some of it is tolerable, some of it blows.  I hate Usher.  I always have, I always will. Lil John.  :|  “YEAH!”  “WHAT?” STFU.  :roll:

Usher is R-N-B
Lil Jon is crunk music

either way, i dont like them.  😊

Posted: 29 March 2005 03:16 PM   [ # 55 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
Know It All
Joined  2004-12-22
[quote author=“CharleyBrown”][quote author=“drummergirl81”][quote author=“Dissolution”]All the “cool” kids at my school listen to it. Rap sucks.

Usher is R-N-B
Lil Jon is crunk music

Gosh, I will never understand some music genres.. lol (And I’m not talking about just rap)

Like techno—there are all sorts of subdivisions like electronic, trance, dance, Euro, etc. But anyway, this is about rap…

What other people are like Lil Jon? Like, who else is a crunk musical artist? I get what you mean by R&B, but I don’t get the difference between rap and crunk music :(

Posted: 29 March 2005 03:16 PM   [ # 56 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1649
Joined  2004-09-14

Usher is R-N-B
Lil Jon is crunk music

Excuse me but I know my music. And while I agree Usher is “R-N-B” or to some people that type correctly R&B, but since when has Crunk had its own genre? Crunk is just some made up stupity coming from that crazy looking guy Lil’ Jon. It’s rap nevertheless. There is no such thing as a Crunk genre, and Lil’ Jon also does R&B with Usher on the song “Yeah”. In my opinion both Rap and R&B are not that great. Hip-hop’s got more of a beat to it. I may be able to stand Hip-hop but I’d rather listen to Rock.

Posted: 29 March 2005 04:05 PM   [ # 57 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
Know It All
Joined  2004-12-22

:( Okay, what iz da difference between rap and hip-hop, lol

Posted: 29 March 2005 04:29 PM   [ # 58 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-11-09
[quote author=“Andreux”]:( Okay, what iz da difference between rap and hip-hop, lol

yeah, please explain?

oh, and i dont think wigger was ever really a racist term.  at least not im my opinion.

Posted: 29 March 2005 04:39 PM   [ # 59 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-09-14
[quote author=“drummergirl81”][quote author=“Andreux”]:( Okay, what iz da difference between rap and hip-hop, lol

yeah, please explain?

oh, and i dont think wigger was ever really a racist term.  at least not im my opinion.

Whigger was never a racist terms, it was used by gangstas to “diss” or disrespect a white person who believed he/she was black and a gangster. The guy from Malibu’s most wanted would fall under that category.

I really can’t explain the difference because it is rather difficult. However our friend yahoo can:
http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20030325.html  :D

Basically Hip-hop is more about the beats and Rap is more about the lyrics.

Posted: 29 March 2005 06:01 PM   [ # 60 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2401
Joined  2004-12-30

[quote author=“ridv3490”]I really can’t explain the difference because it is rather difficult. However our friend yahoo can:
http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20030325.html  :D

Basically Hip-hop is more about the beats and Rap is more about the lyrics.

^^ Ehhh…. Hip Hop is the culture. It incorporates MC’ing (Rapping), B-boying(breakdancing), graffiti art and DJ’ing(Turntablism). Better known as the 4 elements of Hip Hop.
Rap is the music that comes from the Hip Hop culture. But a lot of people differentiate Hip Hop music and Rap, myself included. To me Hip Hop music is the music that incorporates all 4 elements, while Rap does not.

Posted: 30 March 2005 04:04 AM   [ # 61 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2005-01-15

Hip Hop = the Culture, the lifestyle…

Rap = one of the 4 elements

Hip Hop has been around since the Mississippi Delta, and some may argue even before hand…dating all the way back to religious chants of African tribes.

as for Crunk Music, its a southern style of urban music. You can call it a branch off of rap I suppose, but it is different..its just that mainstream media america blends them all into one. I guess you could look at it like Punk music, its kind of derived from Rock, a branch off it, but they aren’t one in the same, get me?

RnB/R&B, Rhythm and Blues, etc. etc…if you date way way back at its origins, with Soul, Jazz, etc., you will see that it is the birthstone of the Rock you love…granted there’s not many great artists today, that is due to mainstream corporate media america. Blame the rich old white guys for that! There are still some hidden gems…check out John Legend, Anthony Hamilton, Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild, Dwele, Angie Stone, Lyfe, Babyface, Brian McKnight, Boyz II Men, Jon B and others. Not forgetting groups like 112, Jagged Edge, Blackstreet, and others…112’s last album Hot and Wet was a major flop and fell into the category of mainstream corporate control, but their new one is pretty nice. Or you can stick to the oldies, like Sam Cooke, Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, and others.

I hope you realize too…not sure if you are a fan, but John Mayer is a huge hip hop fan, and recently worked with Kanye West (the grammy winner/nominee you seem to be mad at), and Common.

Also, don’t get rap/hip hop confused with what you see on TV, that’s molded by corporate rich white mainstream america (not taking shots at white people, i am white!), who want to transform rap into this pop crap so 15 y/o girls will buy the records. Hip Hop was originally formed out of struggle. Young kids couldn’t afford instruments in the inner cities, nor could their schools, so they were forced to make music in another way. Hence the birth of Hip Hop…and hip hop isn’t just talking fast…its chants, its rhythm, its african! Its a product of movement, protest, fighting for one’s rights, its truly beautiful really… there are still artists out there following this…Nas, Gangstarr, Jay Z (really dissect his lyrics), Saigon, Tribe Called Quest, even Ludacris (check out Nas’s Virgo!)

Don’t get the J-Kwons confused with the Slick Ricks…

I love music, I’ve research all kinds of music all the way back to its roots. I love the Black culture as well, and have done tons of research…this is why I took offense to this post in some ways…

Posted: 30 March 2005 04:26 AM   [ # 62 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-02-24

I just have to say, saying anything is “taking over music” is vague.  If you mean MTV (which is what now, 8% music/92% reality shows?), radio (which has tons of stations for every genre) or, say top 40 “hits”?... you can stand to have some sort of argument.  I think rap has gained quite a bit of popularity in the Suburbs and with younger kids, but it is not “taking over music” by any sense. 

Everyone who is getting into these heated discussions about hating a type of music is kind of ridiculous, how can you hate an ENTIRE genre of music? There are so vast, with so many different types.  I’m not a huge rap fan, but groups like The Roots, Wyclef, and the Beastie boys are just so solid. 

“Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it first” - Ben Harper

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:26 AM   [ # 63 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
Know It All
Joined  2004-12-22

Okay, so now I have a new question.

I’ve learned that rap is one of the four elements, and hip hop is apparently the encompassing culture. That’s fine, I can understand that, and it makes sense to me.

My question now is: What kind of MUSIC is hip hop? What kind of music actually entails all the four elements (rap, grafitti, etc.)? I dunno about y’all, but I can’t really see grafitti and breakdancing when I listen to a “hip hop” song (whatever that is) on the radio. I can identify rap MUSIC and hip hop CULTURE, but I can’t distinguish between rap MUSIC and hip hop MUSIC.

I guess that was my original question too, but I didn’t know the proper definitions of the two terms.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to become thuglier and thuglier with each passing day 😊

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:35 AM   [ # 64 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2005-01-15

[quote author=“Andreux”]Okay, so now I have a new question.

I’ve learned that rap is one of the four elements, and hip hop is apparently the encompassing culture. That’s fine, I can understand that, and it makes sense to me.

My question now is: What kind of MUSIC is hip hop? What kind of music actually entails all the four elements (rap, grafitti, etc.)? I dunno about y’all, but I can’t really see grafitti and breakdancing when I listen to a “hip hop” song (whatever that is) on the radio. I can identify rap MUSIC and hip hop CULTURE, but I can’t distinguish between rap MUSIC and hip hop MUSIC.

I guess that was my original question too, but I didn’t know the proper definitions of the two terms.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to become thuglier and thuglier with each passing day 😊

you don’t have to be a thug to enjoy hip hop music…thats another one of those mainstream media portrayals of hip hop culture.

The reason for which you can’t see graffiti in the mainstream hip pop/top 40 hits is because its not there…but if you catch Common’s new single, you’ll see it if u really read close and understand. The elements portion of hip hop has somewhat disappeared due to the white corporate control of the music itself. Hip Hop was intended to spark a movement, it was the voice of the Black Man when he didn’t have a voice. As for breaking, it is still very prevalent today, and while it did separate from Rap Music for a time, it is coming back…a la You Got Served (stupid movie, GREAT exhibition of dance!), all in all, Hip Hop Dance is basically the offspring of the old breaking days…and while the old school breaking is still around, it has evolved…

To really understand hip hop, you have to live it, which some of you may not want to do and thus may not understand it, but its important that you don’t bash it if you don’t understand… Hip Hop’s roots are in the struggle…originally the struggle of the Black Man, though it has grown tremendously worldwide to the struggle of both men and women in the lower social classes.

The problem is it increased in popularity so much that it attracted the heads of record labels…white corporate upper class america, who saw its growing popularity, and thus, got their hands into it…

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:38 AM   [ # 65 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-11-09

[quote author=“Andreux”]Okay, so now I have a new question.

THUG LIFE

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:40 AM   [ # 66 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2005-01-15

to add on further…there really isn’t a hip hop music and rap music…they are essentially one and the same…

there is however, a corporate controlled and mainstream media influenced rap, and a true to the roots of the hip hop culture rap…

however, in the end, it does come down, like in any genre to whats good music and bad music.

J-Kwon, Nelly, Chingy, Bow Wow, Lil Romeo…these guys are your mainstream media influenced…

Joe Budden, Scarface, Outkast, Killer Mike, Bishop Lamont, Crooked I, Tupac Shakur, Nas, Jay Z, Rakim, Kool G. Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Pete Rock, Grafh, Saigon, Common, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Kanye West, Little Brother and the Justus League, Dilated Peoples, etc…these guys are your true to hip hop culture…

if you want to research graff artists, check out Lady Pink…she’s one of the pioneers for female graffers! and for B-Boying/Breakdancing…check out Crazy Legs…

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:42 AM   [ # 67 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
Know It All
Joined  2004-12-22

So I’ll only understand the difference between rap MUSIC and hip hop MUSIC when I actually live the lifestyle? Sounds tough..

And about the grafitti/breakdancing in hip hop music: is it what the singers/rappers describe? Like, if there’s a lyric talking about spray-painting on a wall, is that how grafitti is portrayed in hip hop music?

:( That sounds sad about corporate America taking over hip hop. Think there’s still some saving grace to the genre? Or do you think it’ll one day become as mainstream all the other Top 40 hits? :o I don’t think you can deny that some hip hop songs have already become Top 40 hits, right?

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:51 AM   [ # 68 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
Know It All
Joined  2004-12-22

Just Googled some images of Lady Pink graffiti:

http://www.graffiti.org/nyc/q4b.jpg

http://www.graffiti.org/nyc/q8b.jpg

http://www.graffiti.org/nyc/q3b.jpg

:o Wow, that’s some good art…

One of the things I absolutely loved when I went to France was all the graffiti I got to see. I wish I could have gone to Italy ‘cause I hear they have awesome graffiti art there too. I remember just staring at the art when I was on the train and being like, “Wow, that so pretty..” lol

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:55 AM   [ # 69 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2005-01-15

[quote author=“Andreux”]So I’ll only understand the difference between rap MUSIC and hip hop MUSIC when I actually live the lifestyle? Sounds tough..

And about the grafitti/breakdancing in hip hop music: is it what the singers/rappers describe? Like, if there’s a lyric talking about spray-painting on a wall, is that how grafitti is portrayed in hip hop music?

:( That sounds sad about corporate America taking over hip hop. Think there’s still some saving grace to the genre? Or do you think it’ll one day become as mainstream all the other Top 40 hits? :o I don’t think you can deny that some hip hop songs have already become Top 40 hits, right?

you can understand it without living it, but it takes time I guess… people will run around and tell you that some guy you’ve never heard of is hip hop MUSIC because of that, you’ve never heard of him…thats not the case. Nas consistently goes platinum, and is very much a Hip Hop Musician…he makes Hip Hop MUSIC…its really a breakdown of what they say…I posted some lyrics earlier of true hip hop MUSIC…emphasizing the music as opposed to the culture as a whole…

as for Graffiti, its stance in hip hop can’t truly truly be seen through the music with the exception of the feel of it, and occasionally in videos and lyrics… you’re best bet to check out some graffiti is hitting up the local subway station 😉 j/k

as for corporate america taking over…it was only a matter of time, they have done that with every genre of music really…take something with growing support and make it trendy…I have a feeling EMO will take the same route soon…it only takes a few artists to really gain a huge supporting audience…a la Run DMC to Notorious B.I.G. and Pac to Jay Z…

I think its growth is beautiful, but with everything in life, there are some downsides. I think Hip Hop in the mainstream audience will always be present, but I think its immense popularity in the white 12 y/o girl audience will soon disappear…though my little sister was doing the rockaway, a-town stomp, and thunder clap the other day, who knew! lol… what is sad about Hip Hop’s growth is that it had so much potential..it could have spread its true message to a nation of those who don’t understand, or look down upon it, but instead, its growth transcended into stereotypical bubble gum pop that has entirely neglected what its true purpose was.

There are some top 40 hits of hip hop MUSIC today, and there have been for some time…Juicy, Dear Mama, I Can, Song Cry, Made You Look, Jesus Walks, Thru the Wire to name a few…and I think there may be more to come, so all is not bad…its just most tend to focus on the bubble gum corporate influenced garbage…

I suggest you check out Little Brother’s first album, the Listening, or their new album coming soon called The Minstrel Show!

Anyways, as you can see, you don’t have to be a thug to understand or even love the music…I’m as educated as they come…with 2 bachelor’s, working towards a master’s…and I consider myself hip hop to the bone marrow 😉

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:57 AM   [ # 70 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2005-01-15

yeah, Lady Pink is incredible…she was a true pioneer and an incredible artist…there are so many other great graf artists…I will have to pull all my textbooks out and give some more examples…

don’t get me wrong tho, there are some real ugly grafs, people doing it just to be menaces/thugs…but those that do it for the love of it…they produce some AMAZING works!

Posted: 30 March 2005 06:04 AM   [ # 71 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
Know It All
Joined  2004-12-22

😊 Thanks, CharleyBrown

Posted: 30 March 2005 06:14 AM   [ # 72 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2005-01-15

anytime…I hope I gave a little insight..and thanks as well for having an open mind…Im fascinated by other cultures/musical genres…its good to see someone else with the same open mind…

Posted: 30 March 2005 01:09 PM   [ # 73 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-09-14

[quote author=“TheNewDeal”]I just have to say, saying anything is “taking over music” is vague.  If you mean MTV (which is what now, 8% music/92% reality shows?), radio (which has tons of stations for every genre) or, say top 40 “hits”?... you can stand to have some sort of argument.  I think rap has gained quite a bit of popularity in the Suburbs and with younger kids, but it is not “taking over music” by any sense. 

Everyone who is getting into these heated discussions about hating a type of music is kind of ridiculous, how can you hate an ENTIRE genre of music? There are so vast, with so many different types.  I’m not a huge rap fan, but groups like The Roots, Wyclef, and the Beastie boys are just so solid. 

The Beastie Boys are different. They are more of Rock combined with Hip-Hop much like Linkin Park is Rap combined with Rock. I don’t mind those bands but I can’t stand anything else. Like 50 cent and his candy shop. As your your taking over statement, we only listen to what they want us to hear (Reel Big Fish anyone) And that mostly controls what mainstream people(Most of the people that listen to music) hear. Thus if they play more rap more people will listen to that more.
And you said it yourself its taking over the younger kids which is infact the new generation so how could you say that it’s not taking over if the next generation mostly listens to that?

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:27 PM   [ # 74 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-11-09

[quote author=“TheNewDeal”][quote author=“ridv3490”][quote author=“TheNewDeal”]I just have to say, saying anything is “taking over music” is vague.  If you mean MTV (which is what now, 8% music/92% reality shows?), radio (which has tons of stations for every genre) or, say top 40 “hits”?... you can stand to have some sort of argument.  I think rap has gained quite a bit of popularity in the Suburbs and with younger kids, but it is not “taking over music” by any sense. 

The Beastie Boys are different. They are more of Rock combined with Hip-Hop much like Linkin Park is Rap combined with Rock. I don’t mind those bands but I can’t stand anything else. Like 50 cent and his candy shop. As your your taking over statement, we only listen to what they want us to hear (Reel Big Fish anyone) And that mostly controls what mainstream people(Most of the people that listen to music) hear. Thus if they play more rap more people will listen to that more.
And you said it yourself its taking over the younger kids which is infact the new generation so how could you say that it’s not taking over if the next generation mostly listens to that?

Beleive it or not, younger suburban kids do not make up the majority of “music,” and I know my music tastes have changed a ton since i was a younger teen.  I’m not a big radio fan, but my personal opinion is that rap is not taking over music as a whole.  I’m really not that opinionated in this matter, just trying to say that

1) people should not judge a book by its cover (i.e. rap sucks because lil jon only says 4 words)

2) Music is so many different things to so many different people, so maybe a more accurate question would be “is rap taking over mainstream music?”

btw… reel big fish are great 😊

lil jon says 4 words?  Ive only heard 2.  its always good to expand your vocabulary.  😊

Posted: 30 March 2005 05:30 PM   [ # 75 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

lil jon says yeah, what, ok, and skeet skeet.

IMO, i think polka will be taking over the music world. mark my words.

< 1 2 3 4 5 > 
3 of 5