Wireless Networking: Cable Gateway vs. Router??
Posted: 25 September 2004 10:34 AM     [ Ignore ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2004-08-01

I’ve been looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway and then just the normal Linksys Wireless-G router.  I’m not sure whether or not I should just get the router and keep my comcast cable modem, or get the cable gateway to replace it.

I’m wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons of each?  Which one would you recommend getting?

Posted: 25 September 2004 10:47 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2004-08-06

Keep your comcast cable modem and just get the Linksys router.  It’ll save you time and trouble if you run into any if you get the gateway one, plus you already have the modem, might as well just keep using it.  With the regular Linksys router, you can just take your existing connection coming out of your cable modem and plug it into your Linksys router.  Very simple and a better option IMO.

Posted: 25 September 2004 11:01 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

When I am at home, we have DSL. We have the DSL modem and a regular linksys router. Then I have my wireless router setup as a wireless access point behind that router. Its a pretty good setup. There are instructions on the linksys website about how to do that.

Posted: 25 September 2004 09:38 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2004-08-01

Well I just got the normal linksys wireless-g router and two wireless-g pci cards.  Set it up tonight, and it works great.  Thanks.

Posted: 25 September 2004 11:39 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

I run the Linksys WRT54G router for my network. I have my main PC hard wired to it, then the secondary PC, TiVo, PDA, and XBOX all connect wirelessly.

It is dope   :mischeif:

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps