S-Video…PC to TV connection question
Posted: 15 September 2004 07:47 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2004-08-03

Hey all,

I’m looking to hook my PC up to my free 27 inch TV set 😊  but I have a few questions..

I’ve got a 4 pin S-Video port on the back of my computer, and am running a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.  My invoice from a year or so back doesn’t specifically say it has a TV out, and my brain doesnt remember either…but its got that S-Video port so I’m assuming I was smart and did order one with that function. 

So question 1…Since the port is there, I do have a graphics card with TV out capabilities, right?

Question 2….Once I hook the computer up to the TV, what do I do next?  How do I tell the computer to output over the S-Video connection to the TV set?  Is software required, or is there a way to get Windows Media Player to do this?  Or is it simply a matter of flipping between input sources on my TV set?

Thanks for any help with these questions…they’re fairly basic level stuff, but I’m not familiar with this topic.  Hopefully someone here can answer them or point me to a good website with some more details 😊

Posted: 15 September 2004 08:13 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

I have a radeon on my laptop and also on my desktop, so I’m not sure that the process is the same. However, I am fairly positive that you do have tv-out capabilites.

The process I go through to do TV out is first change my resolution to 1024x768, which is what your computer will typically be able to transmit at (any higher, and your screen will “scroll” across if you move the mouse). TVs actually have a resolution as low as 540x360, I believe.

Then I check my display properties, settings, and click advanced. Under “display” for an ATI radeon card is 4 pictures, one of them a TV. I just activate it. If you do a google search for TV-out and Nvidia, you should find instructions for turning on your svideo out.

You’ll want to hook up the cables to the TV, then change to the appropriate channel for s-video, and you’re good to go! One computer of mine exclusively uses s-video, no monitor is even hooked up to it.

Posted: 15 September 2004 09:20 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2004-09-10

1. Yes, the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 card does have TV-Out capabilities. I have the same card.

2. Are you connecting S-Video to S-Video? Or S-Video to RCA? The TV-Out option on your video card is under the display properties, but make sure you have the drivers provided by nVidia installed, otherwise the options may not be there. Check their website for the latest drivers. If you have the drivers installed, there should be a tab called “nView Display Mode” where it allows you to choose the type of display, I believe it has the choices Analog and TV. Just choose TV and it should work. You also have to make sure your TV is set at the correct input channel.

Posted: 16 September 2004 05:39 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2004-08-03

Hurray, glad to hear that the graphics card does have TV out capabilities!  I knew that I must have bought that just in case, but I wasn’t 100% sure cause I’ve never had cause to use it until now.

But I’ll be doing a S-Video to S-Video connection, and I’ll probably get one that has audio connectors as well.  That way I can just boost the TV volume rather then using the weaker computer speakers.

Now I’ve just got to update the drivers later today and see if that TV option pops up.  I dont think it was there last night when I was looking, but I may have missed it.  But either way, updated drivers is always a good thing.

Posted: 16 September 2004 02:57 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

Make sure when buying a cable that you also buy a 1/8” to stereo RCA adapter. That is required for getting the audio from your computer into a format your TV likes.

‹‹ Spam      Dreamweaver 8 is officially out! ››