4G iPod iSkin EVO2 review
Posted: 09 September 2004 12:33 PM     [ Ignore ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2005-06-22

I posted about my new iSkin EVO2 for the 4G iPod in another thread and got a few pms asking questions about the iSkin and what I thought of it, so I’m creating this thread to answer those questions and share with everyone my experience so far with the new iSkin!

Before you go on, you should read my first post about it here:
http://www.gearlive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33675&highlight;=#33675

Anyways here it is:

I took that pic with my camera phone, so you’ll have to forgive the quality 😊—

I love my new iSkin! I now feel confident placing my iPod anywhere and not having to worry about scratches! Its a totally different iPod experience now that I don’t have to worry about that!

Personally I think it is indeed one of the best cases, my brother has an iSkin on his 3G iPod and thats what convinced me to get this one. You can use any accessory for the iPod with it on (dock, iTrip, etc) and its very thin so the iPod’s small size and shape is pretty much retained. My particular iSkin model is semi-transparent, so the original look of the iPod is semi-retained 😛 However the EVO2 comes in a variety of colors (some glow in the dark!), so you can pick what fits your fancy. I still feel like my iPod looks cool when its in its iSkin, but not as cool when its iSkinless 😊

On the down side its pretty expensive for just being a piece of rubber ($29.99! + $5 shipping or $10 express shipping, varies by location tho). It also gets dirty pretty easily as the rubber is sticky so it picks up lint here and there. You are able to remove it from the iPod and wash it though so no problems there, its just annoying sometimes when the lint gets stuck underNEATH the iSkin. Also since the rubber is sticky it makes it harder to put in your pocket and removes that wonderful feeling the cold, smooth surface of the iPod gives you when your handling it.

You may also want to consider the Pod Shield from TrendyGeek.com—at $12.99 its a great value. But its not as sturdy as the iSkin (they supply you with 3 Pod Shields because if you drop your iPod they are liable to rip, read this review here to see what I mean: http://www.mypersonalgetaway.com/comments.php?id=P302_0_1_0_C ), they do not cover the entire iPod’s surface (the top and front of the ipod are not protected from scratches, only the back and the screen are protected), and also they are harder to “install” onto the iPod. But on the plus side they don’t change the look of the iPod, as compared to the iSkins. Also compared to iSkins they have the same port access, the Pod Shield does not block any ports 😊. But since I haven’t owned a Pod Shield I can’t really comment on it further then that, but I feel the Pod Shield is definitely a legitimate alternative to the iSkin and I wanted to make sure that everyone also considers the Pod Shield when considering an iSkin.

I’ll be back later to answer any questions anyone posts about the iSkin, hope this short review was helpful!

iSkin: http://www.iskin.com
Pod Shield: http://www.trendygeek.com

Note: I added some more impressions in a followup post below…

Posted: 09 September 2004 12:44 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

thanks for the review…i’m waiting on fry’s here in dallas. one of the peon workers said that they’re getting stuff for the 4th gen in about a week or so…hope he wasn’t lying…if he was, i’m shoving an iskin up his keister.

Posted: 09 September 2004 07:32 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  746
Joined  2004-12-28

Nice info. I just purchased an iSkin Evo2 for my 3rd gen on ebay. $10+$5 shipping. Check ebay for the good prices.

Posted: 09 September 2004 07:58 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2005-06-22

Cool 😊

Something I’d like to add: After further experimentation it seems that with the iSkin “installed” it has now become easier to rate songs with the oh-so-sensitive click wheel. I think its because you can rest your finger on the iSkin for friction, and also roll it off onto the iSkin when you’ve selected your rating without accidentally changing the rating.

I STILL say my suggested system for rating songs on the iPod would be better though 😊— 1 rotation per star. 1 rotation clockwise=add stars, 1 rotation counter-clockwise=remove stars.

My brother had also reported a similar experience with his 3G iSkin so this new “ease of rating” could just be in my head 😊