1 2 > 
1 of 2
iTunes
Posted: 21 August 2004 06:25 AM     [ Ignore ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

Ok, lets make this a giant iTunes help thread. Everyone here is probably getting iTunes soon or already has, so lets help each other out!

I found a program for importing album art to all songs. Its pretty decent, it goes through every song in your library and auto-imports album art from amazon.com. http://www.yvg.com/itunesartimporter.shtml. Try it out, tell me if you find a better program or one with more features.

Anyone else have good programs for iTunes?

I have a question… is there a way to change how iTunes renames your files? I want the folder/filename format to be like this:

Artist/Album/Artist - ## - Filename.mp3

Aiight, any help is appreciated! Everyone comment.

Posted: 21 August 2004 06:37 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2004-07-27

[quote author=“Tighr”]
I have a question… is there a way to change how iTunes renames your files? I want the folder/filename format to be like this:

Artist/Album/Artist - ## - Filename.mp3

Aiight, any help is appreciated! Everyone comment.

I made a post about this in the Computers forum and sadly got no replies… it seems there hasn’t been a plugin made for windows.  If you’re on a mac.. simply google it and you can find an apple script (i believe they’re called) that will do this.. there actually were a few real nice ones.  But as I’m on windows.. looks like I’m out of luck.  But there is one thing that can help you get around it for the time being…

Ok well.. I rename by hand all my mp3’s to be Artist - Song Name.mp3 (you can get programs to do this too) so what I’ve been doing is I have the folder of the artist in my music file.. I load them into Itunes edit all the tags.  Then once I’m done I move the folders outside of the my music folder.  Then you can either use the Consolidate Library function or in the advanced tab of preferences check Copy files to ITunes Music folder when adding to library.  So you load the outside folders.. and it will organize them into album folders and such.  It seems like a lot of work but it’s not really.. it’s my best solution until someone makes a good renamer plug in.. If anyone has one I’d love it..

Posted: 21 August 2004 07:04 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

See I don’t know how a renamer program would work… I’d imagine Apple would need to release a patch for iTunes that would add this to the options tab. Other programs have it. The reason I think this is because of how iTunes sorts your files… I don’t want the track name column of iTunes to read “Artist - Name”, i just want it to read trackname… so we’ll see. But there are some good windows plugins for iTunes, like the album art one i found.

Posted: 21 August 2004 07:11 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2004-07-27

[quote author=“Tighr”]See I don’t know how a renamer program would work… I’d imagine Apple would need to release a patch for iTunes that would add this to the options tab. Other programs have it. The reason I think this is because of how iTunes sorts your files… I don’t want the track name column of iTunes to read “Artist - Name”, i just want it to read trackname… so we’ll see. But there are some good windows plugins for iTunes, like the album art one i found.

If your saying “I don’t want the track name column of iTunes to read “Artist - Name”, ” in response to my method.. that’s not what it does.  Basically all my method does is sort them into correct folders.  The consolidate library function doesn’t change any of the file other than where it is located. 

We just have to wait till someone makes a windows plugin that will allow you to change how it renames.. i’m actually surprised it hasn’t come out yet.

Posted: 21 August 2004 05:20 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

How do I get iTunes to play all of my music? Do I have to make a playlist with all my music in it? It was working the first time I loaded it, and I just hit play and my music would play and shuffle and all.. But now if I hit play it just plays one song. What am I doing wrong?

Posted: 21 August 2004 05:48 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

check the 3rd button on the bottom left hand side. that’s the play playlist once/repeat playlist/repeat song button. it may do it. other than that, i’m not sure, cuz when i hit play, mine just go through the list of songs, whether it be in a playlist or in my library.

Posted: 22 August 2004 10:49 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

I figured it out. Check to the left of every song, there is a box. If you click it, a check appears in it. Check all the boxes, all your music is added to the playlist. None of my music was checked, so none was playing.

I have been organizing for a whole day now, and I’m nowhere near done. I’ve got most of the album art done, but still need a bunch of albums and track names reformatted. iTunes tells me I have 7.5 days of music and 2794 files, and I haven’t even finished ripping all my CDs or organized music in my sister’s folder yet… UGH this will take forever!!!!! On the plus side, I’ve deleted about 150 duplicate files, so that saves space.

Posted: 22 August 2004 01:32 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-12-22

ya…you engineers have the patience to go through and do all that. i’m too lazy, lol.

Posted: 22 August 2004 02:08 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

Engineers spend ALL their time figuring out ways to save time. Its the ultimate paradox.

Posted: 23 August 2004 03:22 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2004-08-22

Anyone else notice that as you organize your iTunes library, a slight case of obsessive-compulsiveness tends to sneak up on you? Lord knows HOW MANY TIMES I have to go through my entire library to find duplicate files, dead links or incorrect track titles.

Posted: 23 August 2004 03:49 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

Hah, beat this. I spent three hours yesterday filling in the number of tracks in the album so that it shows # of # in the track column instead of just the track number. THAT is OCD.

Posted: 23 August 2004 04:27 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-12-22

geezus….i do need to do this though..i can see why my friend would go through and edit the tags right after she’d dl the songs…guess i’ll have ot spend a day or two going through my library and fixing everything. oh man will that suck. beats doin hw though.

Posted: 26 August 2004 03:32 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2004-08-22

man, i have already done all the stuff you guys are talking about!!!

and yes, im an engineer…

ive come across some good programs, not necessarily “plugins”, but they dont need to be, all they need to do is edit the id3 info…

ok, this one is a plug-in, called evil lyrics (also for winamp). it will find lyrics to most songs online, a few options (save lyrics for later, change title bar to show song, etc.) havent used it since i reformatted, but ill get it back on eventually.

musicmatch pro (or whatever the special version is) has a feature that will help tag songs based off any information (track length, any id3 tag on it, and probably some other stuff. works pretty well, esp if you accidently ripped all your cds to “track 1.mp3, track 2.mp3”...i used it on all my stuff once, id say about an 80% accuracy rate, but i dont think i will use it again (got the code from a friend who bought the ipod when that was what pc users had to use)...

for the duplicates, i cant remember the name, but i found it on download.com searching for a generic duplicate file utility…worked pretty well, eliminating about 2 gigs from ~22 of my music…way to much to go thru by hand…

there are many id3 tagging utilities out there, if you look enough, you can probably find a decent one to do what you want. i find many have poor ui, looks like it was a quick job by someone just to get it done, didnt bother making it look pretty.

i may add some links in a later post, but im at work now, so dont gots any bookmarks..

Posted: 26 August 2004 03:51 AM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1022
Joined  2004-08-21

i spent about 1 day going through all my duplicate music and deleting it and now I find out there is a program that does that..ahhh!!

Posted: 26 August 2004 03:57 AM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2004-08-22

thats nothing…i *broke* windows and ended up having to do a parallel install to recover data…found some program to use (freeware), but it didnt liek to be asked to copy more then a few hundred megs at a time… :( not so good when you have ~20 some gigs of music in addition to alll my other stuff i wanted to save…and it would crash and i had no idea how much it got, but i was already wasting so much time, i just guessed…i imagine i only got ~85% of my stuff back…

well then i wiped my main hd (with corrupted windows) and started fresh (backups were on 2nd drive)...

i realized i couldnt get to the stuff i had saved to the desktop! xp pro (with ntfs) locks down “personal” folders in pw protected accounts…including the desktop…so i was in the same boat i started in!

a 2 min google search gave me the instant fix…take “ownership” of others folders….ga!!! i wasted all that time for nothing!

dell tech support is fairly clueless…

at least i know now tho…

(sorry for off topic…)

Posted: 26 August 2004 04:03 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

You need to be careful when trying to access data in Password protected folders on NTFS… It is always best if you have any sort of encryption or password protection that you make a password recovery disk, this will allow you to get back into your files if you were locked out.

I know people who reinstalled XP on a main drive when they had ecrypted files on other drives, and couldn’t access them because they didn’t have a recovery disk. They are as good as gone.

Posted: 26 August 2004 04:06 AM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2004-08-22

[quote author=“Tighr”]You need to be careful when trying to access data in Password protected folders on NTFS… It is always best if you have any sort of encryption or password protection that you make a password recovery disk, this will allow you to get back into your files if you were locked out.

I know people who reinstalled XP on a main drive when they had ecrypted files on other drives, and couldn’t access them because they didn’t have a recovery disk. They are as good as gone.

i dont bother with pw protecting individual folders, just the account as a whole…

mostly cuz in college, if you dont, random (read bad, ugly, things you never want to see) pictures appear as your desktop background… 😢

Posted: 26 August 2004 04:43 AM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

Hahahaha we used to do that ALLL the time my freshman year. Then people realized that windows key + L will lock your computer… Ha those were the good old days in the freshman dorms.

Now, if we find a comuter thats unlocked, we will create a new account with administrator rights remove the original user from administrators group (important, because any administrator can unlock a computer), log out, log into new account with new password, and then lock the computer. Hilarity ensues.

My school rules for giving everyone a laptop freshman year!

Posted: 26 August 2004 04:59 AM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2004-08-22

haha, we never went That far…but i should try that…as for the *free* laptop freshman year, i would have perfered a *free*ipod (see duke), but o well. i guess ill just get it now..

Edit: well, not really perfered the $400 ipod over a $2k computer, but i think you know what i mean

Posted: 26 August 2004 05:03 AM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

[quote author=“prinko”]haha, we never went That far…but i should try that…as for the *free* laptop freshman year, i would have perfered a *free*ipod (see duke), but o well. i guess ill just get it now..

Edit: well, not really perfered the $400 ipod over a $2k computer, but i think you know what i mean

Hah. You make me laugh. Its not free, it actually shows up on your tuition invoice as “freshman laptop”, and you have to pay for it. And it wasn’t 2k, ours were $3200!!!! But its a really nice laptop and loaded with software that students normally can’t “get”, with the lisenses and everything. I would have liked a *free* Duke iPod, too, though.

Posted: 26 August 2004 05:17 AM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2004-08-22

[quote author=“Tighr”][quote author=“prinko”]haha, we never went That far…but i should try that…as for the *free* laptop freshman year, i would have perfered a *free*ipod (see duke), but o well. i guess ill just get it now..

Hah. You make me laugh. Its not free, it actually shows up on your tuition invoice as “freshman laptop”, and you have to pay for it. And it wasn’t 2k, ours were $3200!!!! But its a really nice laptop and loaded with software that students normally can’t “get”, with the lisenses and everything. I would have liked a *free* Duke iPod, too, though.

damn, they didnt even try to hide the charges? hmmm, how many people would really notice a $3,200 tuition increase? i would imagine it labeled as “mandatory fees” or something…

at least they knew enough to get you a decent one. how much would it suck if they made everyone get a 1k laptop…no games to play…no upgrade possibilties…

btw, what school? if you dont mind me asking…

Posted: 26 August 2004 05:35 AM   [ # 21 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  778
Joined  2005-01-17

is there way to see lycrics of your songs on the ipod?

Posted: 26 August 2004 05:37 AM   [ # 22 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2004-08-22

[quote author=“snak3y3z1001”]is there way to see lycrics of your songs on the ipod?

doubt it, never heard of anything that will do that…

come to think of it, i havent heard of any plugin type things for the ipod itself…

Posted: 26 August 2004 05:44 AM   [ # 23 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

[quote author=“prinko”]btw, what school? if you dont mind me asking…

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology .

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/TSC/laptops/model_info/

That is the link to the model info for every laptop the school has given out since 1997. My model is the 2002 Compaq Evo N800c. Take a look a the specs, and then look at the freshman model for this year (the 2004 model). Those lucky bastards!

Posted: 26 August 2004 05:58 AM   [ # 24 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2004-08-22

im impressed…

funny to look back just 7 years ago…the 97 TI…a whopping 32 mb ram and 1.3 gig hd!!

Posted: 31 August 2004 06:47 AM   [ # 25 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-07-16

can anybody tell me how I would get music from one ipod to another ipod?From what I understand when you install itunes on your computer it will only work with one ipod,is that true?so is it possible to transfer tunes from one ipod to the other?

1 2 > 
1 of 2