BlackBerry Storm VS iPhone 3G: Will RIM’s Blackberry be iPhone Killer?
Posted: 03 December 2008 09:40 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-12-01

Recently I had published a side-by-side comparison of the iPhone 3G and T-Mobile G1 which evoked an interesting debate.

Here comes another side-by-side comparison of Apple’s iPhone 3G with RIM’s BlackBerry Storm, which is considered as another iPhone Killer.

BlackBerry Storm is expected to be released some time in November exclusively by Verizon in the US and Vodafone in UK.

Hardware Spec
Dimension:
Storm = 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.6 inches
iPhone 3G = 5.5 x 2.4 x 0.48 inches
Weight:
Storm = 155g
iPhone = 133g
Screen Size:
Storm = 3.2 inches
iPhone = 3.5 inches
Camera:
Storm = 3.2M pixel
iPhone = 2M pixel
Memory:
Storm = 1GB on board + 16GB expandable with MicroSD
iPhone = 8GB / 16GB (No expansion)
Battery:
Storm = 5.5hrs talk time / 360 hrs standby
iPhone = 5hrs talk time / 300 hrs standby

Unlike T-Mobile G1 that we have reviewed earlier, BlackBerry Storm “steals” the design and looks much like the iPhone 3G. However, it does not look as sleek as iPhone 3G. It’s a little bit thicker (0.14inches more) and heavier (22g more) than iPhone 3G. And, surprisingly, BlackBerry Storm does not come with Wi-Fi support or they probably consider Verizon’s 3G network is good enough.

BlackBerry Storm’s screen is also a little bit smaller (3.2 inch) as compared to iPhone 3G (3.5 inch), however it sports a slightly higher resolution (460x360 pixels) than iPhone 3G (460x360 pixels).

Winner: iPhone 3G

Tips: How to convert DVD to iPhone 3G

Input Method

With the success of iPhone’s multi-touch interface, touch is now the standard for any new smartphone. Like iPhone, Storm does not have physical slide-out keyboard and uses the screen as input, in fact its RIM’s first smartphone to feature a touch screen. However, RIM highlights that the touch technology developed on Storm is somewhat different to other touch screen smartphone available. RIM refers its touch technology as “Clickable Screen”. That means, when users press key on screen, they can actually feel the key pressed and release, just like you press the mouse button. They call it a game changing touch technology that makes on-screen keyboard more appealing.

Also, like T-Mobile G1, it will have built-in cut and paste capability across applications a feature missing from iPhone 3G.

Winner:Its difficult to call a winner on this one, until we get feedback from users on RIM’s touch technology. We love iPhone 3G’s revolutionary multi-touch interface.

Multimedia
Multimedia support is not the strong area of RIM smartphones, as they predominantly targets business users. Storm is developed with multiple support in mind to lure more casual users. Standard feature like music and video playback is included. A wide range of audio format (including MP3, AAC, WMA, etc) and video format (including MPEG4, WMV, etc). Storm also allows you to sync iTunes music files via BlackBerry Media Sync and has its own media software to manage your music.

iPhone 3G is the best iPod Apple has ever created. The music and video playback experience is awesome. And, Apple continues to update features like Genius Playlist into iPhone makes iPhone’s multimedia support nearly unbeatable. With its seamless integration with iTunes Store, you can download songs wirelessly or sync it between desktop using iTunes. iPhone 3G also supports a wide range of music formats but only plays Quick Time video.

Winner: iPhone 3G

Camera & Video Recording

Apple did not upgrade the camera in iPhone 3G, its still a basic 2 megapixel camera while Storm comes with 3.2 megapixel camera and includes video recording capability. Storm also includes a flash and auto focus for its camera.

Winner: BlackBerry Storm

Modem Capability
iPhone 3G does not support tethering and Apple tends to ban any applications in App Store that adds this capability. The only option you have is to jailbreak the iPhone and use jailbreak apps such as PDANet, iPhoneModem etc. BlackBerry Storm, on the other hands, comes with tethering built-in.

Tips: How to convert DVD to Blackberry?

Enterprise Feature

Apple has made quite a few strides to take market share from RIM in the enterprise area. iPhone 3G, with built-in support for Microsoft’s ActiveSync protocol, lets enterprise users to access Microsoft Exchange’s services. Also, it takes a great step forwards to support Cisco IPsec VPN, which is a standard in enterprise wireless security. Further, it incorporates a feature to let administrator to wipe data remotely, in case the iPhone is lost or stolen.

RIM is always the leader in enterprise wireless devices. Storm, by no means, continues to lead in this area. The enterprise support is outstanding that different security policies can be defined, such that administrator may enable or shutdown specific bluetooth profiles; and even, to disable its digital camera access.

To sum up, BlackBerry strikes a balance between business and causal use. It’s, by far, the sleekest BlackBerry; which should help RIM lure causal customers.

Is it another iPhone killer? Its difficult to conclude. iPhone 3G and BlackBerry both come with some unique features that neither have and they are positioned differently in the market.
However, I still fail to understand the omission of Wi-Fi in BlackBerry Storm, its true that BlackBerry is targeted at the business users who use it primarily for email, but still it seems like a major disadvantage over iPhone 3G.

As a consumer device, iPhone will definitely win thanks to the iPod application, its Safari browser which is easily the most advanced web browser on a portable devic

Posted: 04 December 2008 02:09 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2008-01-01

I feel that it’s a little biased and deffinetly incomplete because you stated winners on:
1. Input Method
2. Multimedia
3. Enterprise Feature
4. Modem Capability
5. Camera/Video

However you left out key points. CNET.com, a website that I use frequently does reviews and they have a video podcast called “Prizefight”. This is where they compare 2 products in a showdown. They base their winner on 5 points but they are :
1. Sexiness-For the Design Portion
2. Navigation-To see how easy the phone is to use (NOT GPS Nav)
3. Features- Overall, not just enterprise
4. Multimedia-This portion also features the camera/video point and browsing the web.
5. Call Quality-For the cell service portion.

Posted: 05 December 2008 02:58 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2008-12-01
x1xtomx1x - 04 December 2008 06:09 AM

I feel that it’s a little biased and deffinetly incomplete because you stated winners on:
1. Input Method
2. Multimedia
3. Enterprise Feature
4. Modem Capability
5. Camera/Video

However you left out key points. CNET.com, a website that I use frequently does reviews and they have a video podcast called “Prizefight”. This is where they compare 2 products in a showdown. They base their winner on 5 points but they are :
1. Sexiness-For the Design Portion
2. Navigation-To see how easy the phone is to use (NOT GPS Nav)
3. Features- Overall, not just enterprise
4. Multimedia-This portion also features the camera/video point and browsing the web.
5. Call Quality-For the cell service portion.

Yes, good point, I’m frequently visit CNET, they are just compare functions on media, music but not the whole of blackberry and iphone 3g.
I think, iphone is better for someone who are teen boys, and the blackberry storm for business man.
And the Call Quality is very important.

Posted: 08 December 2008 02:11 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-01-01

Welllll, im a teen boy so i guess I would fit in the iphone 3G category =P

Posted: 08 December 2008 08:08 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

on the contrary. The blackberry storm outdoes the iPhone is way too many ways. I have both phones and blackberry is without a doubt the better phone. Blackberry messenger alone is a reason alone to get the blackberry storm.

Posted: 09 December 2008 04:05 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-01-01

True, but for me messaging isn’t that big of a deal because the App Store is what blows me away. The App Store just started and I believe that we just scratched the surface with 10000 apps. Just image when the App Store gets even bigger like the iTunes Music Store did. Think about it with iPods, when the Music Store just came out not that many people downloaded songs. Now, people have downloaded over 5 billion songs. It took people 11 months to download 300 million apps. Guess how long it took 300 million apps to be downloaded? 3 Months. There is just too much opportunity with the App Store for me to let it down and anything I need is on there, such as instant messaging, VoIP, Tap Tap =P. I’ll stick with my iPhone. Bow Down to thy mighty iPhone =P.

Posted: 24 December 2008 01:31 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-13

iPhone 3G is more smart.  Especially, the supported Wi-Fi function is so wonderful!

Posted: 09 October 2009 01:50 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
N00b
Joined  2009-10-09

Yeah,i definitely agree with you on that one. Iphone is so cool that everyone is contented with it’s full pack features..Would even like to get one soon…

Regards,
rapiless
Pr?t travaux

Posted: 20 October 2009 02:02 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
N00b
Joined  2009-10-20

Iphone suits teens while Blackberry Storm best suits people on the go like doctors,businessmen,medical representatives. For me,Blackberry still is the no.1 brand on my list…

Regards,
kladriel
Ordinateur portable pas cher

Posted: 07 November 2009 02:25 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
N00b
Joined  2009-11-07

Iphone suits teens while Blackberry Storm best suits people on the go like doctors,businessmen,medical representatives. For me,Blackberry still is the no.1 brand on my list…

Regards,
kladriel
Ordinateur portable pas cher

I agree to you…Iphone suits for teens agers while Blackberry suits for business type man..

Regards

Daele

_____
Simulation pr?t

Posted: 08 November 2009 02:20 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Joined  2009-10-24

Can’t beat an iphone for it’s Appstore facility.