1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
Gear Live custom iPhone giveaway contest!
Posted: 23 June 2008 04:12 PM     [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

We are giving away our super-sweet custom Gear Live iPhone in our newest contest! Hit the site for the official rules on how you can win this amazing phone. But…that’s not all we are giving away this time around. We have all sorts of hot accessories to go with it, and even some clothing as well, courtesy of LRG. We will have three winners this time around.

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 23 June 2008 04:53 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

Wow, great contest yet again, Gear Live. Thank you for even having a contest like this. Best of luck to everyone and I hope to see a lot of new members! 😉 LRG is very generous and those are some sweet little prizes. Oh, I have a quick question, will the points have anything to do with this giveaway? Some of my comments on blog posts don’t add to my points now.

Posted: 23 June 2008 05:24 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2008-05-31

By the looks of the rules for the contest points won’t have any play on this contest. Just be active and contribute to forums and such during the time period mentioned and the winner will be randomly drawn from the active participants. Sounds like a good contest and the custom iPhone is absolutely sweet looking. Good luck to all of those that are active and enter to win it.

Posted: 23 June 2008 05:31 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

We will be monitoring points internally to gauge activity, but points won’t be the deciding factor in determining a winner 😉

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 23 June 2008 05:47 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2008-01-01

Thank you Andru! I’ve been eagerly waiting for this contest, well, we all have! Good Luck to everyone!

Posted: 23 June 2008 06:51 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07
Andru Edwards - 23 June 2008 08:31 PM

We will be monitoring points internally to gauge activity, but points won’t be the deciding factor in determining a winner 😉

With that said, isn’t it quite like the last contest just minus the point factor. Because really, the determining factor was really contribution in the end. I’m sure some users had more points via spam and lack of constructive posts but Buckeye was a consistently helpful poster.

Posted: 23 June 2008 10:59 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-05-30
gohan_bcc1 - 23 June 2008 09:51 PM

With that said, isn’t it quite like the last contest just minus the point factor. Because really, the determining factor was really contribution in the end. I’m sure some users had more points via spam and lack of constructive posts but Buckeye was a consistently helpful poster.

Yes contribution does play a role in this contest, spammers can’t win.  What’s really different about this contest is that it’s not the quantity that will be counted, but it’s really the quality and the activity on the forums/website.  Just making a lot of posts or comments won’t increase your chances of winning, everyone who participates has an equal chance of winning.  After all, the contestants that are active and don’t spam are put in a list and out of that list the winners are chosen randomly.

I’ve submitted this contest on Digg to bring more traffic to Gear Live.  I know we have at least 6 contestants competing, so we should be able to get 6 Diggs.  Digg this contest at http://digg.com/tech_news/Gear_Live_iPhone_Contest

Posted: 23 June 2008 11:04 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07
Shan Gee - 24 June 2008 01:59 AM
gohan_bcc1 - 23 June 2008 09:51 PM

Yes contribution does play a role in this contest, spammers can’t win.  What’s really different about this contest is that it’s not the quantity that will be counted, but it’s really the quality and the activity on the forums/website.  Just making a lot of posts or comments won’t increase your chances of winning, everyone who participates has an equal chance of winning.  After all, the contestants that are active and don’t spam are put in a list and out of that list the winners are chosen randomly.

I’ve submitted this contest on Digg to bring more traffic to Gear Live.  I know we have at least 6 contestants competing, so we should be able to get 6 Diggs.  Digg this contest at http://digg.com/tech_news/Gear_Live_iPhone_Contest

Wait, sorry if I misunderstood but does that mean contestants are like put in a hat and chosen? Or did I get the wrong impression from what you were trying to say. Sorry.

Posted: 23 June 2008 11:10 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-30
gohan_bcc1 - 24 June 2008 02:04 AM

Wait, sorry if I misunderstood but does that mean contestants are like put in a hat and chosen? Or did I get the wrong impression from what you were trying to say. Sorry.

As Andru posted in his original post, the winner will be chosen randomly. 

Here is a quote:

On July 3, we will compile a list of members who have been active during the contest period, and we will then choose our first, second, and third place winners randomly

Posted: 23 June 2008 11:13 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07
Shan Gee - 24 June 2008 02:10 AM
gohan_bcc1 - 24 June 2008 02:04 AM

As Andru posted in his original post, the winner will be chosen randomly. 

Here is a quote:

On July 3, we will compile a list of members who have been active during the contest period, and we will then choose our first, second, and third place winners randomly

Okay fair enough, I got the impression from that when I read it, that they would compile a list and decide from there if you understand what I mean. Been jumping the gun out of excitement i guess haha.

Posted: 23 June 2008 11:16 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-01-01

Shan Gee I actually think that your wrong. I believe that what Andru and his crew are doing is not randomly choosing but actually looking though the quality and activity of users in the forums and throughout the blog and whoever shows the best performance will win the Grand Prize and whoever shows next to best performance wins the 2nd prize and whoever shows the next best performance wins the 3rd prize. Picking randomly wouldn’t be fair because the person who has the best performance doesn’t win and what the forums need right now is quality and someone who’s attributions are valuable to the Gear Live forums and blog. Furthermore, many people think that it’s just about the forums, but what we also need is comments on the blog and gallery. Andru even said in the blog post about the contest “Between now and then, we are gonna be monitoring comments left throughout Gear Live, and forum posts.” So, everyone start posting on the blog as well as the forum!

EDIT: wait, now that I did read your post Shan Gee, now I think your right, lol. What a turn of events in my opinion. Erm….ANDRU!!!! CAN WE GET SOME CLARIFICATION??????!!!? 😛

But seriously, when Andru said randomly did he mean that they would chose without favoritism or the “choosing out of a hat” kind of randomization?

Posted: 23 June 2008 11:24 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-30

I already asked Andru and he told me that the winners are chosen randomly out of all the eligible contestants.  So whoever is active and contributes to the forum and site will be entered in to a random drawing.  Spammers or inactive members will not be eligible for the random drawing.

Posted: 23 June 2008 11:27 PM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07
x1xtomx1x - 24 June 2008 02:16 AM

Shan Gee I actually think that your wrong. I believe that what Andru and his crew are doing is not randomly choosing but actually looking though the quality and activity of users in the forums and throughout the blog and whoever shows the best performance will win the Grand Prize and whoever shows next to best performance wins the 2nd prize and whoever shows the next best performance wins the 3rd prize. Picking randomly wouldn’t be fair because the person who has the best performance doesn’t win and what the forums need right now is quality and someone who’s attributions are valuable to the Gear Live forums and blog. Furthermore, many people think that it’s just about the forums, but what we also need is comments on the blog and gallery. Andru even said in the blog post about the contest “Between now and then, we are gonna be monitoring comments left throughout Gear Live, and forum posts.” So, everyone start posting on the blog as well as the forum!

EDIT: wait, now that I did read your post Shan Gee, now I think your right, lol. What a turn of events in my opinion. Erm….ANDRU!!!! CAN WE GET SOME CLARIFICATION??????!!!? 😛

But seriously, when Andru said randomly did he mean that they would chose without favoritism or the “choosing out of a hat” kind of randomization?

summed up my thoughts exactly

Edit: Answered Above

Posted: 23 June 2008 11:40 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-01-01

well if it’s going to be randomized I don’t really agree with that way to choose the winner because that person could have just been active for the duration of the contest, and then could just leave GearLive for good. In my opinion, I think that the GearLive iPhone should go to someone who is an active participator in GearLive and not to just some Joe Smoe who want’s a cool phone. If it is going to be randomized, I’m not going to argue to get it changed because it’s none of my business how someone want’s to give away a free device so, whatever. It is how it is, que sera sera (or something like that).

Posted: 24 June 2008 12:32 AM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07
x1xtomx1x - 24 June 2008 02:40 AM

well if it’s going to be randomized I don’t really agree with that way to choose the winner because that person could have just been active for the duration of the contest, and then could just leave GearLive for good. In my opinion, I think that the GearLive iPhone should go to someone who is an active participator in GearLive and not to just some Joe Smoe who want’s a cool phone. If it is going to be randomized, I’m not going to argue to get it changed because it’s none of my business how someone want’s to give away a free device so, whatever. It is how it is, que sera sera (or something like that).

It really is an interesting way of doing it. I think the two should have been reversed. On a side note there really isn’t much happening much around the forums after that announcement anyways so in reality I suppose its not a big deal. Shall be fun!

But we all know the winner is probably going to be someone who will rep Gearlive after anyways. Like what are you gonna do with a Gearlive Iphone if you dont go on gearlive.

Posted: 24 June 2008 01:06 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1441
Joined  2005-06-22

Not trying to stir the pot here in any way, but why do you guys make such a big deal and moan about everything?  Post like a normal, contributing member and if you end up winning great.. If not say your congrats, and if you are ticked off to leave Gearlive like 90% of the members who were only here for the laptop contest don’t let the e-door hit ya on the way out.

The winners will be picked out on random, but not everyone is being picked for the contest..  “Between now and then, we are gonna be monitoring comments left throughout Gear Live, and forum posts. If you are a regular participants in those areas, you will have an opportunity to win.”

Posted: 24 June 2008 01:12 AM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07
Supercom - 24 June 2008 04:06 AM

Not trying to stir the pot here in any way, but why do you guys make such a big deal and moan about everything?  Post like a normal, contributing member and if you end up winning great.. If not say your congrats, and if you are ticked off to leave Gearlive like 90% of the members who were only here for the laptop contest don’t let the e-door hit ya on the way out.

The winners will be picked out on random, but not everyone is being picked for the contest..  “Between now and then, we are gonna be monitoring comments left throughout Gear Live, and forum posts. If you are a regular participants in those areas, you will have an opportunity to win.”

CHECK PM!

Posted: 24 June 2008 12:02 PM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

Good luck to everyone! Hope everyone has fun and see ya around the site. This sounds like a cool contest and cant wait to see who wins….lol. I have been coming here even after the dragon contest and this site has very interesting electronics to read about and learn about also. I have never had an iphone so if I win this it will be my first. Well I am off to go read some more.

Posted: 03 July 2008 01:04 PM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07

Hehe this is exciting lol!

Posted: 03 July 2008 08:28 PM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2008-05-31

Now to wait for the winner will ba announced.

Posted: 03 July 2008 08:44 PM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1441
Joined  2005-06-22

Drum roll please 😛

I think the winners will be announced tomorrow.

Posted: 03 July 2008 09:02 PM   [ # 21 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2007-06-17

Remember tomorrow is a Holiday.  HAPPY 4th of JULY! 😊

Posted: 04 July 2008 01:30 AM   [ # 22 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07

hehe I totally forgot tomorrow is a us holiday.

Posted: 04 July 2008 08:52 AM   [ # 23 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

Might not know anything to Monday, some people are probably gonna celebrate all weekend. Plus he has to go through the posts and the comments and that takes time to. I am sure he will get back with as soon as he can. Happy 4th of July everybody!!

Posted: 05 July 2008 06:51 PM   [ # 24 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

Wow, can’t believe that the iPhone contest is over, it went by so quickly. Best of luck to everyone and well, it’s going to be exciting to see what Gear Live has in store for us in the future.

Posted: 05 July 2008 09:54 PM   [ # 25 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Joined  2005-03-07

A New Car!

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3