Open Source Video Games
Posted: 04 June 2008 02:23 PM     [ Ignore ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-05-31

Will Open Source Video Games be better than Commercial Games?
Open source refers to any program whose source code is made available
for use or modification as users or other developers see fit.

Posted: 04 June 2008 02:47 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

I think commercial games are still extremely popular now and I have actually never heard of open source video games. It truly depends on the gamer though. I know nothing about open source or modifying my own games, so that is why I chose commercial games. They are so much easier and well, I would have no idea where to start with open source video games. :lol: As for which one is better, it is the person’s perspective and opinion, but as I mentioned, I think it would be commercial games, although I believe both are kind of the same.

Posted: 04 June 2008 05:25 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

i dont know right now i like the commercial video games, i am into ps alot i like their games. they have such great graphics and game play, and the story layout to them are thoughtful. being a gamer you will try anything just to check it out so i would at least try open source.

Posted: 04 June 2008 05:40 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31

You must try Slime Soccer!  Graphically its one of the simplest in the world but it is so fun to play with a friend: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bartle/soccer/

It’s almost addicting—in my AP Computer Science class a couple years ago, we would have Slime Soccer tournaments, basically every day (instead of actually learning the material we were supposed to in order to get ready for the AP test 😛)
It basically spread throughout the entire school, and the next year after the AP Bio test we also had a massive slime soccer tournament (I made it to the finals but sadly lost in a hard fought battle :()

Posted: 04 June 2008 06:05 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

sounds like fun i might check it out. do you get slimed or something?

Posted: 06 June 2008 01:42 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2008-04-30

I dont think all game companies will make their games open source because they may loose their business as there are so many people with great talent who by opening the source code, edit them change everything as they want and sell them with there names and make money out of it, And even if get a open source video game, i can’t do anyhing with that.

Posted: 06 June 2008 02:19 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

id say that commercial games are better, because if they werent most likely people wouldnt be making money off of them- people would just go to the open source.
i think they lack as much quality as commercial, the only major open source anything i know of that breaks the rule is linux