Most of us probably have a Canon cameras because lets face it, theyre good! Although the most common camera is the point and shoot variety, did you know there is a way you could “hack” your Canon to make it a super camera?? It is totally safe and doesnt void your warranty as it doesnt mess with the internals of your camera!
CHDK is a firmware enhancement that operates on a number of Canon Cameras. CHDK gets loaded into your camera’s memory upon bootup (either manually or automatically). It provides additional functionality beyond that currently provided by the native camera firmware.
CHDK is not a permanent firmware upgrade: you decide how it is loaded (manually or automatically) and you can always easily remove it.
A sampling of those additional features/functionality.
* Save images in RAW format
* Ability to run “Scripts” to automate the camera
* Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)
* Zebra mode (blinking highlights and shadows to show over/under exposed areas)
* An “always on” full range Battery indicator
* Ability to turn off automatic dark-frame subtraction
* a higher compression movie mode, and double the maximum video file size
* exposure times as long as 65 seconds
* exposure times as little as 1/10,000 of a second
* ability to use the USB port for a remote trigger input
* a depth-of-field (DOF)-calculator
* File browser
* Text reader
* Some fun tools and games
 Why would I want to use CHDK?
* To get Raw file capability on cameras that don’t have that ability
* To get the ability to use scripts
* to be able to know the battery status at all times (not just when it’s about to run out of power)
* you want or need any of the other enhancement features that CHDK provides
Unleash the POWER in your “PowerShot!”
HOW TO USE: LINK TO USAGE PAGE
Please note for those of you unable to pull up the ALT MENU, please press the BLUE BUTTON! It took me quite a while to figure that out!!! hehe so I thought I’d pass it on!!
Those of you’ll who are interested head over to : CHDK WiKi