Hack your Canon camera to make it as good as an SLR!
Posted: 04 June 2008 12:14 AM     [ Ignore ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-05-31

Most of us probably have a Canon cameras because lets face it, theyre good! Although the most common camera is the point and shoot variety, did you know there is a way you could “hack” your Canon to make it a super camera?? It is totally safe and doesnt void your warranty as it doesnt mess with the internals of your camera!

CHDK is a firmware enhancement that operates on a number of Canon Cameras. CHDK gets loaded into your camera’s memory upon bootup (either manually or automatically). It provides additional functionality beyond that currently provided by the native camera firmware.

CHDK is not a permanent firmware upgrade: you decide how it is loaded (manually or automatically) and you can always easily remove it.

A sampling of those additional features/functionality.

Main features:

* Save images in RAW format
  * Ability to run “Scripts” to automate the camera
  * Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)
  * Zebra mode (blinking highlights and shadows to show over/under exposed areas)
  * An “always on” full range Battery indicator
  * Ability to turn off automatic dark-frame subtraction
  * a higher compression movie mode, and double the maximum video file size
  * exposure times as long as 65 seconds
  * exposure times as little as 1/10,000 of a second
  * ability to use the USB port for a remote trigger input

Additional features:

* a depth-of-field (DOF)-calculator
  * File browser
  * Text reader
  * Calendar
  * Some fun tools and games

[edit] Why would I want to use CHDK?

* To get Raw file capability on cameras that don’t have that ability
  * To get the ability to use scripts
  * to be able to know the battery status at all times (not just when it’s about to run out of power)
  * you want or need any of the other enhancement features that CHDK provides

Unleash the POWER in your “PowerShot!” 😊

HOW TO USE: LINK TO USAGE PAGE

Please note for those of you unable to pull up the ALT MENU, please press the BLUE BUTTON! It took me quite a while to figure that out!!! hehe so I thought I’d pass it on!!

Those of you’ll who are interested head over to : CHDK WiKi

Posted: 04 June 2008 01:06 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-06-01

As much as this improves the abilities of your camera, it’s still far from an SLR, SLRs have larger sensors than point and shoots, so even with all of these extra features your camera still won’t be as sensitive to light.  I could go on, but the point is that while this really does make your camera better, it will never replace an SLR.