I am sure most of us probably have our old and probably first PC’s still lying around! And most of us probably will laugh at the thought of using them right now eh? But what If you have a nice HDTV in your living room, but not enough content to play on it? Thats exactly what came into my mind, and prompted me to use my old P3 machine as a Linux based MC in my living room! Why? Because Linux is FREE and I always respect Software rights!
LinuxMCE is a free, open source add-on to Kubuntu including a 10’ UI, complete whole-house media solution with pvr + distributed media, and the most advanced smarthome solution available. It is stable, easy to use, and requires no knowledge of Linux and only basic computer skills.
It’s the features which prompted me to actually use it!!
Media & Entertainment
• 3D alpha-blended GUI optimized for displaying on a TV and using a remote control
• Media browser presenting all content on all devices in the home on a 3D rotating cube
• Plug-and-play detection and aggregation of network storage and DMA’s
• Built-in NAS providing centralized backup and whole-house media server
• “Follow Me” Media, each family member’s media follows him/her through the house
• Automatically controls all existing av devices, like TV’s, Stereo’s, etc.)
• Many control options: mobile phone, webpad, pda, phone
• Home Automation: Control lighting, climate, security, camera surveillance, and more
• Communication: Phone system with auto-attendant, voice mail, call forwarding/routing for VOIP and POTS lines
• Security: Uses your existing home alarm, surveillance cameras, lights, phones and tv’s to notify you on your mobile phone of any security alerts with the option of reseting the alarm or broadcasting your voice in the house over the tv’s
Check out some detailed SCREENSHOTS HERE:
I would love to hear your feedback!
Cheers and practice legal computing!!! hehe