Zune vs iPod - Which Is Better?
Posted: 02 June 2008 06:31 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

Ok, so you’re in the market for a good mp3 player.  There are about a billion out there, but two stand out above the rest.  Microsoft’s Zune and Apple’s iPod.  Which one is better?  Let’s take a look at the specs.

Now just so you know, i’m actually comparing the Zune to the regular iPod, not the iPod Touch, which just wouldn’t be a fair comparison.

The Similarities

Right off the bat, you can see that most of the major specs are almost identical.  80 gigabyte hard drive on both, same price tag at $250, 30 hour max battery life, the size is pretty close with the Zune being a little bit larger, the resolution is the same.

If you think about it, this makes sense after all.  The iPod was out several years before the Zune, so Microsoft had the luxury of taking an existing product and adding some features to improve upon it.  After all, why would you release the exact same product without adding anything?

The Differences

The thing that Microsoft seemed to focus on with the Zune was the wireless side.  The standard iPod has no wireless functions at all, and the Zune has many, like syncing wirelessly to your pc, and zune to zune wireless transferring of music.  Add in an FM tuner, and you have a much more versatile product overall.

Another upgrade worth mentioning is the customizable background.  It may seem trivial, but people appreciate being able to customize their gadgets these days.

One slight downside for Zune is that there are no games, but most people will never notice really, since they’ll probably prefer their PSP or Gameboy DS for that anyway.

Another is that the Zune is only PC compatible, while iPod works on PC or Mac.  It might not be a huge deal now, but any business is good business, especially when it comes to stealing business from your competitor even if they don’t hold a huge market share.

One more thing worth mentioning is that the screen size of the Zune is about 20% larger than the iPods at 3.2 inches, but the resolution is the same.  Some people report that this can make the Zune look a little pixilated at times, since you’re displaying the exact same image on a larger screen, similar to zooming in on a digital picture too far.

Zune vs iPod - Final Thoughts

When it comes down to it, it’s more about preference than anything, unless of course you really want wireless features then you should go with the Zune, and you Mac owners don’t have a Zune option anyway unless you have a PC that you can use to get your music.

Everything else is so close that it’s hard to specify a winner.  If you have a ton of WMA files you’ve purchased that don’t play on an iPod, give the Zune a shot.  Whatever your decision, don’t just buy an iPod because everyone else has one, go with what you’re comfortable with, go with what YOU like, that’s always the best bet.

Source :- Technocrati.com

Posted: 02 June 2008 06:36 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-06-02

Zune Definitely wins.

With the features it has, it beats the Ipod by a huge distance. With the movie player, picture viewer, radio tuner, music player, wireless sync feature, it kills the Ipod.

It may be bulky and the wireless sync feature may use a lot of battery power, it’s still the best. It doesn’t matter if the Zune is only for the PC, theres much more PC users then Mac users.

Posted: 02 June 2008 08:14 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-05-26

I vote the Zune. Just because it has more functions then the iPod. but if the choice was Zune vs. iPod Touch/iPhone, i’d have to pick iPhone. just because the jail breaked version has alot of cool features.

Posted: 02 June 2008 08:44 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

I would have to say the iPod because I’ve never owned a Zune. However, iPods are very popular now and the Zune does make one “stand out” if you guys know what I mean. I love the features on iPods and well, they’re reliable and iTunes is a great software that I have gotten use to.

Posted: 03 June 2008 07:17 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

I think Ipods are more popular but zune has more features.It’s tough to say which is better because they are two diff product altogether. Only users who have used both Zune & Ipod could tell us better, think. 😊

Posted: 03 June 2008 12:15 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

i think zune! the ipod is a good product but i think they worry more about advertisement and marketing than the quality itself
i like how zunes are built though, i find them very reliable

Posted: 03 June 2008 12:42 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

Yeah Ipods are overhyped.they are good but not good as they seem to be.Zunes otherwise didn’t get the promotion like the Ipods & but gets the job done quite nicely.

Posted: 03 June 2008 02:22 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-05-31

It has to be the ZUNE! It outnumbers the iPod in terms of features, fit and finish, practicality, usability, hackability :D as well as plain ol common sense!! Love the wireless syncing ability btw!!!

All the iPod has going for itself is a good PR campaign :|

Posted: 05 June 2008 02:11 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-06-03

Ipod, I’ve got a ipod nano and have never even seen a Zune believe or not. The one thing I got to say though is it would be nice if ipods are less scratchable and had a fm tuner