Chicago Cubs Pitcher Mark Prior Working His Way Back
Posted: 27 May 2006 06:57 PM     [ Ignore ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2006-04-06

Have faith, Cubs fans!  With things always seemingly up in the air with the Chicago Cubs regarding injury, a plan has been laid out for Mark Prior to rejoin the Cubs and actually pitch a Major League Baseball game. 

Prior, a pitching phenom out of USC and drafted second overall in the 2001 Amateur Draft, has dominant stuff as his 2003 numbers show - 18-6, 245 K’s in 211.1 IP, a 2.43 ERA and 1.10 WHIP (walks+hits per inning pitched).  However, various injuries have stifled Prior’s growth in 2004 and 2005… and, of course, this season. 

To start off 2006, Prior, and fellow fireballer Kerry Wood, were put on the shelf with indefinite stays on the DL (disabled list).  Both are integral parts of the Cubs pitching rotation and could have been a devastating staff when you add fiery competitor, Carlos Zambrano.  However, a three-headed beast of a frontline rotation remains but a dream if Prior and Wood can’t stay healthy.

And considering their stuff and makeup, in my opinion, Prior is the best of the three.  But when it comes to health, not so much.  In any case, rejoice Cubs fans that there’s at least a plan in place.

For all of my fantasy baseball geeks out there, if you have Prior on your team, cross your fingers.  For those that don’t, if you think you can buy low, I’d take the chance.  Otherwise, the definite nature of the indefinite regarding Prior’s health may not be worth it.  However, if you’re feeling like Kenny Rogers (the singer, not the player), go ahead and take that gamble now before Prior’s first rehab start.  It’ll probably be the best, odds-wise, especially if Prior has an incredible first rehab start.