Derek Jeter Gets His 2,000th Career Hit
Posted: 26 May 2006 11:48 PM     [ Ignore ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2006-04-06

New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter got hit number 2,000 tonight against the Kansas City Royals.  The milestone hit, a single, came in the fourth inning against SP Scott Elarton.  It’s hard to believe that Jeter, who came up through the Yankees farm system and making his debut during the 1995 season, already has 2,000 hits. 

Is he really going to be 32 years old next month?  He’ll always seem like the youngster that lifted the Yankees to their first World Series since 1978 during the 1996 season.  And, of course, we all know about the spectacular defensive clutch plays he’s made over the past decade during the postseason.

But, this milestone is about his offense.  Jeter has hit for 200+ hits four times in his career.  To show his consistency, besides his first year when he only stepped up to the plate 48 times and his injury-laden 2003 season, Jeter has collected at least 183 hits every season.  No wonder he gets the respect he does around the league… even from Red Sox Nation.

So, what are the prospects of Jeter getting 3,000 hits, the benchmark of being an indubitable Hall of Famer?  Considering Jeter has been relatively durable his whole career, he should continue to get the at-bats to have a chance to get hit number 3K.  He owns a .315 lifetime BA (batting average), which speaks well of his chances to get hits.  However, Jeter’s skills should start to diminish soon and there is no guarantee he’ll stay as healthy as he’s been.

Yet, considering his postseason exploits, the respect he commands from his peers and opposing managers, his impeccable off-the-field reputation, and four World Series rings, I don’t think that there is any doubt Jeter will make it into the Hall of Fame without 3,000 hits. 

However, being the competitor and team player that he is, I’m sure Jeter doesn’t really care about individual goals, but rather team goals.  So, the thought of getting number 3,000 is a moot point.

And that’s exactly why Jeter is already a guaranteed Hall of Famer.  Congrats on 2,000, DJ!