Microsoft Gears Up to Release Xbox 360 with New Chips.
Posted: 02 June 2008 07:49 AM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

IBM, TSMC Land Orders to Manufacture 65nm Chips for Microsoft Xbox 360

Microsoft Corp. reportedly plans to release a new version its Xbox 360 video game system code-named Jasper in August and has already assigned IBM and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. to make chips for the new game console. However, there are other important rumours: TSMC got orders to produce the chip for code-named Valhalla Xbox 360 design, which is rumoured to combine microprocessor and graphics chip in a single piece of silicon.

The code-named Jasper design of the Xbox 360 game console will use ATI Xenos graphics and memory controller hub (GMCH) made using 65nm process at TSMC as well as IBM Xenon central processing unit (CPU) produced at IBM?s 65nm nodes. The new system design is projected to consume less electricity, use less complex cooling systems and also produce less noise.

By contrast, current Xbox 360 design named Falcon utilizes GMCH and eDRAM cores manufactured using 90nm process technology at TSMC as well as CPU built at IBM using 65nm fabrication process. The first-generation Xbox 360 used 90nm chips.

TSMC is chosen to make the 65nm GMCH chips, Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) is contracted to package and test the chips, and Nanya has won orders to supply flip-chip packaging substrates, reports China Economic News Service.

Full story :- http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080507132302_Microsoft_Gears_Up_to_Release_Xbox_360_with_New_Chips.html

Posted: 02 June 2008 12:50 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-05-31

LoL Copy pasted an article??

Anyways, this is good news, because here in India where the temperatures are absolutely unbearable, there have been a number of XBOX 360’s conking off due to overheating! My neighbor himself has two RROD’d XBOX’s!!! There is something drastically wrong with the overall design of these consoles and its about time MS does something to correct it!

Posted: 02 June 2008 07:22 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-05-31

Speaking of which, my XBOX 360 just died again this past weekend. This makes four bad units for me, all suffering from the dreaded RED RING OF DEATH!

Posted: 02 June 2008 09:29 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31
reevester - 02 June 2008 03:50 PM

LoL Copy pasted an article??

Anyways, this is good news, because here in India where the temperatures are absolutely unbearable, there have been a number of XBOX 360’s conking off due to overheating! My neighbor himself has two RROD’d XBOX’s!!! There is something drastically wrong with the overall design of these consoles and its about time MS does something to correct it!

Lol i’ve given the credit to the original site.So, this is valid.I also live in India btw.

Posted: 02 June 2008 09:31 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31
slugbug - 02 June 2008 10:22 PM

Speaking of which, my XBOX 360 just died again this past weekend. This makes four bad units for me, all suffering from the dreaded RED RING OF DEATH!

Yeah it’s your bad luck Slug.All 4 were in the warranty btw ?

Edit :- oops sorry for the double post.My first mistake.It would have been better if we could delete unnecessary posts.

[ Edited: 02 June 2008 09:33 PM by sushrukh]