Windows Vista (Standard OS)
Windows Vista is a rather heavy operating system (OS) with many neat features, but unfortunately they all come at a price. Right out of the box it requires a pretty hefty system to run (arguably). 2GB of RAM is the minimum although some laptops equipped with only 512MB because to lower the price! Therefore, before you run out and buy a new computer just so you can run your base operating system, check out these 5 Simple Ways To Speedup Windows Vista tips to lighten the load. I have 10 Tricks but I will save some until next time, just absorb this 5 Tips first
1. Turn off UAC, or at least make it less annoying
Now, there’s ton to talk about the new user account control policy in Vista, and all I can say is: it annoys the hell out of me and slows down my normal computer usage. Do you realize it flash your video card to a black screen, take 5 seconds and really just make itself a royal pain in the arse? (I know this is all about security = BS)
1. To turn it off, the easiest way is to go into the Control Panel and type in ‘UAC’ into the search bar. It’ll bring up a search result of ‘Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off’. Just follow the prompts from there.
2. To keep UAC, let’s just turn off the crazy annoying blacking out screen bit. To do this:
* Open group policy (start | run | gpedit.msc)
* then navigate to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options
* Find the policy named ‘User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation’. Set this to disabled.
2. Disable Aero
I personally do not do this just because this is one unique feature that’s distinct from XP, but I realize fancy feature comes with a price. It does tend to eat up both RAM and CPU usage - laptops battery seems to drain faster :(
Read the rest of this entry » http://wikigiz.com/2007/12/18/5-simple-ways-to-speed-up-windows-vista#more-191