Gear Live Points launches - the breakdown
Posted: 01 June 2008 01:41 PM     [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

We’ve been working on a way to recognize you readers who participate here on our network of sites at Gear Live, and we are happy to announce the launch of Gear Live Points. In a nutshell, Points are awarded to users whenever they take any sort of interactive action on Gear Live. We think it’s a fun way to spice up your daily visits to the site.

You earn points for all the following actions:

Becoming a member: 100 points
Upload a member photo: 50 points
Choose or upload an avatar: 25 points
Posting a blog comment: 1 point
osting a gallery comment: 1 point
Assign a forum signature: 10 points
Posting a forum topic: 2 points
Posting a forum reply: 1 point
Receiving a forum reply: 1 point
Vote in a poll: 3 points

You must be logged in to earn points, and you can see the total amount of points you’ve earned right at the top of all pages. We are coming up with some cool things you will be able to do with your points, so stay tuned for that.

To kick off the launch of Gear Live Points, we are running a contest - our HP HDX Dragon giveaway. Good luck to all participants!

NOTE: Those found abusing Gear Live Points (like posting excessive comments/forum posts that don’t say anything or contribute to the conversation) will suffer a loss of points. This policy is at Gear Live’s sole discretion.

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:05 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2008-05-31

Everytime I try to upload a photo, it never works. I think there’s some type of bug.

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:13 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22
Shady Freak - 01 June 2008 05:05 PM

Everytime I try to upload a photo, it never works. I think there’s some type of bug.

Dude, what’s with all the wrestling avatars? 😉

Okay, so uploading an image is failing for you…are you respecting the size limits?

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:17 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2008-05-31
Andru Edwards - 01 June 2008 05:13 PM
Shady Freak - 01 June 2008 05:05 PM

Dude, what’s with all the wrestling avatars? 😉

Okay, so uploading an image is failing for you…are you respecting the size limits?

Yes and just to inform you, a few others and experiencing the same problems.

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:23 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2008-05-29

i did not want to change the subject but what polls are you talking about. i only saw and that was in march 24.

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:25 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-05-31

Yes I am facing the same problems! To be more precise am listing them here:

1] Cannot update avatar, photo. I was uploading a 150x150, 81 KB file but no dice :|

2] Sometimes when clicking on a forum, I get the error: You are not authorized to view this forum :S

3] Some forums do not open giving some silly error

4] Please please please for heavens sake dont judge the posts like it was done on Notebooks.com :S According the admin of that site, Spammers = winners

5] Sometimes the site doesnt display properly in FFox….. :S But when I opened it in IE, it displayed fine! Any idea why?

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:33 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-05-31

I’m experiencing my points dropping down to 0, to not displaying at all, to coming back. Is there a delay on the points update?

- BoogerJay

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:39 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-05-31

I still cannot post in the forums! Error that I am receiving:

The following errors were encountered
You are not authorized to view posts in this forum.

Posted: 01 June 2008 02:42 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

After reading your post Andru, i’ve uploaded a member photo & installed a sig but my points didn’t increase.Will they be credited later ? I thought they are instant.No worries though. 😊 And yes, this looks more like a WWE thread. 😛

Posted: 01 June 2008 03:23 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

Thanks for the point breakdown, very helpful. Best of luck to everyone. However, there seems to be a bug in the polls, my vote isn’t counting and I don’t see any points when I submit.

Posted: 01 June 2008 03:37 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

I am glad that the points value has been posted. I dont suppose you would post who is in the lead or where everyone stands at this point? It would be interesting to know since some of these people have been in here for a while now.

Posted: 02 June 2008 08:47 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

Those having upload issue,are you guys having a jpg file of gif.my jpg file also didnt upload,only gif seems to work.
@ reevester,are you in the News section?comemnts are not allowed there.

Posted: 02 June 2008 10:41 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-06-01

Probably too late to change now, but the points given to “Receiving a forum reply” and the bonus points for “Posting a forum topic” is making the forums rather diluted with meaningless opinion threads as opposed to a threads where you will actually find useful information.  It certainly will not improve the retention rate of members following the contest assuming that is the intent.

Posted: 02 June 2008 03:02 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

Agreed “Posting a forum topic” should be excluded from rules.Don’t mind removing the “Receiving a forum reply” also.
Keep it as normal as possible as if there was no contest going on ,that would make it reasonable.right?

Posted: 02 June 2008 03:19 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-06-01
DOOOMKULTUS - 02 June 2008 06:02 PM

Agreed “Posting a forum topic” should be excluded from rules.Don’t mind removing the “Receiving a forum reply” also.
Keep it as normal as possible as if there was no contest going on ,that would make it reasonable.right?

I think so…
I think the points for replies thing makes it a little harmful to one’s own chances, i.e. you make a reply to get a point, but that the same time you are giving another guy a point.  Sure, this kind of influences you to start MAKING threads so you can get people to reply in your threads, but if everyone thinks that way to avoid giving other guys point you will just end up with pages and pages of 0-reply threads, and that certainly is no good for forums.

I keep asking myself: how would I run the contest if it were my site?

After a lot of thought, assuming I had a site similar to Gear Live, I would have a point system as well, but I would keep it a secret.  Just be like…“yeah go ahead and contribute…I will choose he who contributes the best (and best does not mean the most)” and all the while keep score silently.  The silent system makes peopel participate, but not over do it to the point of spam.

That is what occurred with another site contest with which I won an iPod Nano.  The contest was to measure participation, but they never let you in on how they scored.  Sure, they provided a weekly leaderboard for the duration of the contest (~2 months), but no one knew the exact scoring (well actually the scoring was made public but they never were like “if you submit this you get points”...I think they confirmed the quality before saying “yes we will count it”.  E.g. they gave points for bugs found in the software, but the quality of the bug determined the points received, so you did not know if your bug was of high quality or low quality according to the developers).

Posted: 08 June 2010 08:06 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-06-04

I think if value posting are done by members and the topic started is unique and informative nothing wrong to give points, it will motivate people to take part more actively