Blu-ray Players get more expensive after being Monopoly of the Format War
Posted: 01 June 2008 10:08 AM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

Blu-ray is the declared victory of the format war. And now Blu-ray player prices are at the all-time high for the year. Even worse is that not all of the players support BD Profile 2.0. Your best bet would be Play Station 3 (PS3) because it offers the most recent profile and it is a game console! The price of a PS3 is relatively cheaper than a standalone player. I think the price will be remain this level for a while, but the price tag of PS3 will continue to drop as Sony wants to increase its market share.

Source: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/03/13/blu-ray-players-more-expensive-after-format-war-victory/

Posted: 01 June 2008 10:45 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2008-05-24

After reading the article, I want to know why HD DVD players aren’t competing. I personally think the DVD players are going to be around for a while. Like the author, I agree that your best bet is going to be to get a PS3 if you must have a blu-ray player, but don’t want to pay the high price. it would be a good purchase for those who are gamers, since the PS3 is a gmaing station as well.

Posted: 01 June 2008 08:55 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-06-01

HD DVD players aren’t competing because Toshiba dropped the format.  No one wants to stock unsupported hardware.

Blu-Ray player prices are going up now that there’s no competition because of all the money the manufacturers lost on R&D;costs then were unable to make back because of the lower priced HD DVD players.

The PS3 is far and above the best Blu-Ray player available now for the exact reasons previously mentioned.

DVD will still be sticking around because, so far, Blu-Ray hasn’t blown people away like DVD did.  The leap from DVD to BR is not as large as it was from VHS to DVD to people are taking their sweet time upgrading.  And really, with the number of high quality Upscaling DVD players out there plus the constantly lowering cost of DVDs, why bother getting a full HD player?  The only reason I have one is because I have my PS3.

As sad as I am to loose my physical disc, BR probably won’t even hit it’s stride before it’s replaced by pure digital formats.

Posted: 02 June 2008 09:18 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

I didn’t have any BD player,nor i have purchased any HDDVD or Bluray media.Can you give me an idea about the pricings of the BluRay & HD-DVD movies ? I really don’t have any idea of how much price difference is there in them.

Posted: 02 June 2008 12:50 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-06-01

BR movies will run you around $19.99 to $34.99.
HDDVD is about the $17.99 to $34.99 price range.

I’ve seen both as low as $8.99 though, so the movies themselves are priced about the same.  The real price difference was in the hardware.