Remotely Access your Computer Anywhere
Posted: 31 May 2008 06:02 AM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2008-05-30

Did you know you can use a program called, LogMeIn ( http://www.logmein.com) to remotely access your computer from another place, like your office for example and control your PC from there?  I know there are a lot of tech geeks here and they may already know this, but there are always people who don’t know that this can be accomplished. 

All you need to do is register a free account with LogMeIn and download their software onto your computer.  Your computer needs to be online and have the LogMeIn software enabled in order to access it.  When you go to your office or wherever you want to access your PC from, all you need to do is log in to LogMeIn.com and select your PC so you can remotely connect to it.  You can also add and control multiple PCs! 

For those that know about this, do you use other software besides LogMeIn to access your PC?  I’ve heard of UltraVNC (http://www.uvnc.com), and that is also similar to what LogMeIn does, and it’s free.

Posted: 31 May 2008 02:55 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

I have heard of it and tried similar technologies.Microsoft has a relatively similar one in beta its called SharedView i think.
Then there is crossloops.There are literally numerous such softwares.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:01 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31

Try looking at Microsoft’s new Live Mesh program at http://www.mesh.com

Essentially when you sign up, you get a “Live Desktop” which consists of 5GB of storage.  You add your various devices to your Live Mesh, and you are able to sync folders with that live desktop, or connect to another computer in your network.  It’s really quite cool and I have already installed it on three computers!

Posted: 31 May 2008 06:55 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2008-05-26

Note: Live Mesh is still a technical preview. I’m having trouble with Remote Desktop, there are always lags/freezes, actions are sent to the remote location, but the local location’s remote desktop screen freezes and does not move. i’d use logmein instead, and if you like the free version, go for the Pro, i’ve used Logmein Pro for a while and it’s way better then the free version, it allows file transfer, remote print, etc.

Posted: 31 May 2008 10:35 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

i tried logmein about 2 years ago, i dont know if its changed since then but when i did it was very hard to inderstand and get running
i use realvnc,
it allows 0 control as if you were there and its free
it REALLY doesnt get any simpler than that, you just type in the ip and port and ur there, and the program file is very small
no signing up for a website or anything either

Posted: 31 May 2008 10:40 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2008-05-31

Orb is another cool program where you can acess your info from across the net. It also runs in just a standard brower and windows media player.

Posted: 31 May 2008 10:47 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2008-05-31

oh, urs looks like it could be better than realvnc! i like the idea of the browser over a program
i could get into this one
thanks for the post!

Posted: 01 June 2008 11:20 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2008-05-26

Remote access application is also provided by default in windows.But the best such application i have used is Remotly Anywhere.Its for professional use usually.