< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 5
HP HDX Dragon giveaway details - 31 Days of the Dragon
Posted: 31 May 2008 02:53 PM   [ # 26 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  222
Joined  2008-05-31

If you just contribute and participate as much as you want there’s no point in needing a point chart.

It’s over 12 pounds. The power brick indeed is the major contributor to that bulky thing. And don’t you dare call it a laptop, I’d love to see somehow carry this monster around.

Posted: 31 May 2008 02:58 PM   [ # 27 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31
SkyFuser - 31 May 2008 05:53 PM

If you just contribute and participate as much as you want there’s no point in needing a point chart.

It’s over 12 pounds. The power brick indeed is the major contributor to that bulky thing. And don’t you dare call it a laptop, I’d love to see somehow carry this monster around.

I disagree—I am already starting to see where people are starting a billion threads versus building on existing threads.  This is going to make the forums incredibly cluttered and I feel it would not add as much to the community, versus giving thoughtful responses to existing threads.  At the same time, it is important too that new content be added through the addition of new threads.  Perhaps there should be a cap on the number of new threads that can be counted in the point total?  Does anyone have any other suggestions on how best to prevent this problem?

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:08 PM   [ # 28 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  527
Joined  2008-05-31

Dear sir (Andru) , could you please lock the old threads.Some people are digging up old threads to boost their post count.It’s not fair to them who are participating validly.It would have been better if there was a rule which would prohibitate digging-up the old threads.Thanks for understanding.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:10 PM   [ # 29 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-05-31

This has got to be one of the coolest giveaways of all time.
I would love to win this dragon-monster.
My son says he would be glad to kick anyones butt at “Gears of War” if we win.
Good luck to everyone, love the site.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:11 PM   [ # 30 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-05-31

when i first saw thing computer, i thought, “they keep saying its HUGE! how big could it be?!” ... but then i saw these pictures, and i needed no more explanation!  🐛
(courtesy: TheTabletPC.com)

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:17 PM   [ # 31 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23
BuckeyeFanatic25 - 31 May 2008 05:58 PM
SkyFuser - 31 May 2008 05:53 PM

I disagree—I am already starting to see where people are starting a billion threads versus building on existing threads.  This is going to make the forums incredibly cluttered and I feel it would not add as much to the community, versus giving thoughtful responses to existing threads.  At the same time, it is important too that new content be added through the addition of new threads.  Perhaps there should be a cap on the number of new threads that can be counted in the point total?  Does anyone have any other suggestions on how best to prevent this problem?

There is a lot of useless topics on the forum and I have started a couple of threads because of them. For example, look at the Sports forum/thread and tell me how users can add to those existing topics. Yes, new topics may make Gear Live Forums cluttered, but at least they are not spam. 😉 I think as long as no one spams, new topics can be started as long as it matches the relevant topic.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:27 PM   [ # 32 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2008-05-19

I think even if someone comments on an older thread it shouldnt matter I mean maybe that person is still waiting for a reply, you never know.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:29 PM   [ # 33 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

I agree with jess1ca & posting new threads is great to make people aware of new things.Atleast it’s better than digging-up 3-4 year’s old threads which many users are doing.I’m fed-up saying that it won’t do any good for you if you do that but nobody listens.Specially an user called ” brown88 “ is doing this & he’s posting only one liners.

It’s great to post new threads in every communities so that people can come & share their opinions about those. 😊

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:37 PM   [ # 34 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-19

It is good to have new threads to I just think its not bad to bring up the old ones either. They can also add for some discussion. Might learn something you never knew before, that would be cool for me.

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:40 PM   [ # 35 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

Yeah but only useful comments should be counted,not noncence posts like brown is doing.I fear that brown will win by posting only one-liners & digging-up the old threads.If you need to post comments in a old thread you can’t post nonsence posts in that. 😉

Posted: 31 May 2008 03:59 PM   [ # 36 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-31

Don’t worry brown will NOT win. That’s spam by far. And I am very lenient on what I consider spam.

As for Buckeye’s concern, I understand you. However, I believe if it’s useful and someone benefits from it it’s not spam. We’re also building on existing threads, although we do need new ones, some topics are moldy from age, and we can’t end up being one-liner dust cleaners.

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:00 PM   [ # 37 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2008-05-31
sushrukh - 31 May 2008 06:40 PM

Yeah but only useful comments should be counted,not noncence posts like brown is doing.I fear that brown will win by posting only one-liners & digging-up the old threads.If you need to post comments in a old thread you can’t post nonsence posts in that. 😉

I thought it was mentioned previously in this post that one liners wouldn’t count and would be removed from that users “total” post count. So it really shouldn’t matter if he wants to post a billion one line responses to old threads since they wouldn’t count to begin with. I’ll check again, but I’m pretty sure thats what was said previously. That would only be the fair thing to do to keep people from amassing outrageous post counts in a short period of time without actually even contributing to the community in any way.

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:03 PM   [ # 38 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2008-05-31
Andru Edwards - 31 May 2008 01:33 PM

Again, I noted that spammers will not get counted. We are looking for typical participation. We’ve already had 2-3 people just leaving a bunch of one sentence comments. Those are going to be deleted.

I thought I had read this earlier when I was looking around. This should hopefully clear some things up about those that are just basically spamming the threads with one line responses. Also it will kind of keep the clutter down since those one line responses will be deleted and not counted.

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:16 PM   [ # 39 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-05-31

gravedigging shouldnt be allowed. in any case, good luck to everyone and this is one hell of a contest

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:18 PM   [ # 40 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Joined  2008-05-31
SmileyXX - 31 May 2008 07:03 PM
Andru Edwards - 31 May 2008 01:33 PM

Again, I noted that spammers will not get counted. We are looking for typical participation. We’ve already had 2-3 people just leaving a bunch of one sentence comments. Those are going to be deleted.

I thought I had read this earlier when I was looking around. This should hopefully clear some things up about those that are just basically spamming the threads with one line responses. Also it will kind of keep the clutter down since those one line responses will be deleted and not counted.

i don’t think the one-liners will be downright deleted ... i think what Andru meant was that the oneline responses would just not be made part of the contest scoring, and only proper responses would count ... which is a good thing though, because we can see a lot of that happening around the forum today ... but just deleting the messages would probably ruin the whole flow of a thread ...

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:24 PM   [ # 41 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2008-05-31

Does anyone know if we are going to be able to see the number of points we have accumulated, and if there will be a “leaderboard” sort of thing?  Or will the total number of points you have accumulated be completely blind?  Both I think would be interesting concepts.  And I’d also like to throw my hand up in opposition to all this grave digging.  Also, my comment about all the new topics that I made earlier was more along the lines that people shouldnt be starting numerous useless topics at once that have no substance or do not promote any real discussion—I do agree though that new content needs to be added and so I would just like to clarify my earlier comments.

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:27 PM   [ # 42 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-05-31
insideout - 31 May 2008 06:11 PM

when i first saw thing computer, i thought, “they keep saying its HUGE! how big could it be?!” ... but then i saw these pictures, and i needed no more explanation!  🐛
(courtesy: TheTabletPC.com)

Is this your HDX that HP looks big, i’m going to see it in person I bet it’s sweet

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:29 PM   [ # 43 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-31
BuckeyeFanatic25 - 31 May 2008 07:24 PM

Does anyone know if we are going to be able to see the number of points we have accumulated, and if there will be a “leaderboard” sort of thing?  Or will the total number of points you have accumulated be completely blind?  Both I think would be interesting concepts.  And I’d also like to throw my hand up in opposition to all this grave digging.  Also, my comment about all the new topics that I made earlier was more along the lines that people shouldnt be starting numerous useless topics at once that have no substance or do not promote any real discussion—I do agree though that new content needs to be added and so I would just like to clarify my earlier comments.

You can see how much you have from the top of the main site.

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:35 PM   [ # 44 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Joined  2008-05-31
SkyFuser - 31 May 2008 07:29 PM
BuckeyeFanatic25 - 31 May 2008 07:24 PM

Also, you can click the MEMBER LIST link at the top of the page, and you’ll see a list of the members with the highest posts, in descending order ... should be helpful in way, to help you set targets 😉

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:35 PM   [ # 45 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-19

I think it would be interesting to know who is in the lead at least day by day. Would keep the competition going thats for sure. But who knows we will find out later.

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:49 PM   [ # 46 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

Where ? Are you saying about that message which says how many posts i do have ? That can be seen when i’m posting a message too.How will we know about the activity/points achieved by other participants as well ?

And also how does the points count ? 1 post 1 post or 2 points for posting a new thread? They haven’t mentioned anything about how are they going to give us points.Anyways, i hope we’ll have to wait for Andru’s answer.Also it’s getting pretty difficult to see & find out which thread is spam & which is not.Not only Brown, there are many who are even opening new nonsence threads.

Just for example :- http://www.gearlive.com/forums/viewthread/16135/  &

http://www.gearlive.com/forums/viewthread/16128/

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:57 PM   [ # 47 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2008-05-31
sushrukh - 31 May 2008 07:49 PM

Where ? Are you saying about that message which says how many posts i do have ? That can be seen when i’m posting a message too.How will we know about the activity/points achieved by other participants as well ?

And also how does the points count ? 1 post 1 post or 2 points for posting a new thread? They haven’t mentioned anything about how are they going to give us points.Anyways, i hope we’ll have to wait for Andru’s answer.Also it’s getting pretty difficult to see & find out which thread is spam & which is not.Not only Brown, there are many who are even opening new nonsence threads.

Just for example :- http://www.gearlive.com/forums/viewthread/16135/  &

http://www.gearlive.com/forums/viewthread/16128/

No… I meant here it’s at the top. Can’t miss it if you have a profile picture.

Anyone interested in sharing how many points they have XD

Posted: 31 May 2008 05:14 PM   [ # 48 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

Thanks for the link SkyFuser.What about you ?

Posted: 31 May 2008 05:15 PM   [ # 49 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  570
Joined  2008-05-23

Very interesting that we’re already starting to comment and post when Andru hasn’t even released the point totals. 😉 We’re definitely getting a jump on things, huh? (Or, we’re just bored on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, hehe).

Posted: 31 May 2008 05:17 PM   [ # 50 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2008-05-31

How many points do you have if you wanna share please.just need an idea about how i’m doing compared to the others.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
2 of 5