None of the Above, I prefer my Wii/PS3/PC/PS2/Etc 0
Total Votes: 13
You must be a logged-in member to vote
COD4 Killcam vs Halo 3 Saved Films
Posted: 20 September 2007 05:19 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2007-04-26

I have gone on record as thinking that the Killcam is a nice tool that I feel is unfair from the point that it allows your victims to adjust on the fly and gives away your position in real time.

I just watched part of the video on the Halo 3 saved films, I think that this method is a lot better as a learning tool than Killcam and is incredibly cool, and fair (in the moment of the game).

Any other opinions on this one?  I am getting pretty psyched for Halo 3 multiplayer and COD4 multiplayer, I have not been that hardcore in my online FPS games, but I think that both of these titles will turn consume a lot of my free time (what little I now have). 

I think Gears servers are going to be pretty damn quiet in a few days.

Also, which version of Halo are you planning to buy?

Posted: 20 September 2007 07:09 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2007-06-07

I pre-ordered Legendary.

I think save films will be more useful to review good players and learn what they do.  Killcam helps you more in the short term, giving the snipers position, seeing where the ambush is for CF matches and such.

Posted: 20 September 2007 09:14 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2007-04-26

I think kill-cam is handy, but saved films are both awesome and handy.

Signature 

Even in the case of ladders, when simple hand-over-hand coordination is required, only one in four zombies will succeed.

Posted: 20 September 2007 10:58 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2007-05-11

i dont think the two should be compared there both different, frankly im a big fan of the kill cam, and not of the Halo3 replay honestly i could give a fly #### about going back and watching a video replay of how i play, i rather spend the time actually playing, but i digress there both have pros and cons tho neither is better or worse then the latter from an neutral position

Signature 

http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/MrD86.jpghttp://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2818/pmlogoln1.jpghttp://img212.imageshack.us/img212/948/linkff2.jpg

Posted: 22 September 2007 06:58 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2007-06-07

I don’t think the kill-cam cheapens the game at all.  Even if you do know where the guy was that shot you in the back, by the time you spawn and get to where he was, he’ll be gone.  And if he stays there he’s an idiot. 

The saved films feature is going to be awesome for both seeing how you got fragged and just recording awesome frags you got yourself.  Those mile away stickies and no-scope head shots will be that much cooler when you can zoom in and rotate the camera to all angles.  Just one more way to say “I pwnd you!”.

Posted: 23 September 2007 04:21 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2007-06-29

Only campers feel threatened by the killcam.

Posted: 23 September 2007 04:40 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26
Steve Vice - 23 September 2007 04:21 AM

Only campers feel threatened by the killcam.

Not my own definition, but, it works:

“Campers, by definition, are people who position themselves in one spot and stay there for extended periods of time, usually either to guard an objective or to surprise unwary passer-bys. Flamed the most on the ever-popular Counter-Strike. Campers are usually hated on by anyone that doesn’t camp because people seem to think that getting a kill while running in front of 10 opponents is smarter than picking them off by surprise. It’s sad to say, but people are so impatient that they’re willing to call you a camper just because you stand in a spot for more than 15 seconds. The whole reason why people get mad at campers is because either 1.) They died because they decided to try and be “skilled” and ran out into the open with their gun firing only to be shot at by six other guys, or 2.) Someone who is too afraid to look for the camper because of the fear he will be killed, thus lowering his score. Just because someone decides to hide behind a box so he can kill people that pass by doesn’t make him “n00b”. If he’s a “n00b”, what does that make you for getting killed by him. If you’re good enough to call him a “n00b”, why don’t you just…check around instead of running past him like an idiot and getting killed, it’s not that hard

The gist of it: A group of people with patience and strategy hated on by idiots and impatient 13 year olds with autism and/or ADD.”

Camping a spawn point = bad.

Sniping enemies trying to plant the bomb on your objective = good.

Side note on COD4, in the Overgrown map, there are now snipers who get on the roofs on the barn side of town.  They get a bit of an unfair advantage because the deep penetration perk does not seem to pierce the roof to hit them (perhaps due to the double walls of each side of the roof).

Posted: 23 September 2007 05:33 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2007-06-29

Camping does indeed require less skill than actually trying to keep on the move. A camper back into his corner where his back is covered and only need to focus on a very limited view and thus doesn’t need very much presicion in order to hit a target that happens to walk into that line of sight. “Tactical”? Yes. Does it require skill? Only the bare minimum of what you need to know to play the game.

What does require skill is to be a player constantly on the move and picking of targets, clearing the way and taking out the campers. The person who wrote the definition is obviously a camper, as are you and from my experience (which is pretty extensive) the people who tend to camp usually becomes completely useless once that actually start to move around the map.

Once I learn a game/map I don’t have a problem with campers at all, they are pretty easy to pick off since they for the most part are fairly unskilled players, and map design and game mechanics (such as the Killcam) are now pushing the campers to keep on the move, which is helpful for them as they now will need to actually learn to play the game smile

Posted: 23 September 2007 06:27 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26

Actuually, if you have ever played with me, you would never be able to call me a camper.  I am more of a suicidal maniac as evidenced by my normal Kill/Death ration being much more in favor of deaths than kills.  I don’t have the patience to sit in one place for that long. 

Explain this part to me however, IF “camping” is a “bad” thing, then why do ALL of the FPS games have sniper rifles?  It takes a lot more skill in my opinion to hit a guy halfway across the map with a sniper rifle whil ehe is running than it does to turn a corner and spray a room with a SMG or toss a grenade.  One is careful aim, the other blind luck.  Sad for me, I rely on the blind luck strategy.

Also, having a corner where a person can only be killed form one direction is not the fault of the person using the corner, it is the fault of the map designer for placing that corner there in the first place.  I have yet to see such a spot on the 3 COD4 maps in the beta.  Its rather nice.
Plus, limited ammo will eventually force the person from their spot of choice, you don’t NEED a killcam to take care of that for you.

Of course, Killcam will have no effect on the modes where you only have 1 life per round, so most objective based maps will be fair for either strategy.

Posted: 23 September 2007 07:12 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2007-04-26

I play alot of fps.i take them very serious but in most games malfunction the sniper rifles are very easy to use.The snipers in cod are very easy to use.I dont mind people useing them but there is a problem with camping.I played a game of cod 4 last night were the other team just went into the grass and hid in it nwith a sniper.That makes for some poor gameplay.Also running into a room and spraying is luck but some people like to aim the gun too.Its all about the headshots if you know what im saying.Now back to the point I like the killcam but I say the halo movies will be better because if some guy kills you in a funny way you can watch the full build up too it but in the killcam you only see the last few seconds.

[ Edited: 23 September 2007 07:16 AM by IRISHREAP3R]

Posted: 23 September 2007 08:01 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26
IRISHREAP3R - 23 September 2007 07:12 AM

I play alot of fps.i take them very serious but in most games malfunction the sniper rifles are very easy to use.The snipers in cod are very easy to use.I dont mind people useing them but there is a problem with camping.I played a game of cod 4 last night were the other team just went into the grass and hid in it nwith a sniper.That makes for some poor gameplay.Also running into a room and spraying is luck but some people like to aim the gun too.Its all about the headshots if you know what im saying.Now back to the point I like the killcam but I say the halo movies will be better because if some guy kills you in a funny way you can watch the full build up too it but in the killcam you only see the last few seconds.

I agree that there is a lot of skill in run and gun too, but both methods, sniping or running and gunning are only very effective with skilled players at the helm.  COD attempts to balance out sniper rifles a bit with the requirement to hold your breath to shoot, but, it still doesn’t eliminate them as a very effective weapon. 

I notice most people only call it “camping” when they or their team is on the receiving end.  They never call a teammate who has the other side pinned down a camper.

The sniper rifle is my least favorite weapon, I am not very effective with the thing and I tend to do better with an assault rifle. 

I truly feel if using a sniper rifle is cheesy, then every fps game ever made would not include 50 of the damn things. 

I just don’t understand why they put in the Gillie suits with effective terrain to hide them in when the Killcam just shows you where they are.  Kind of odd to me.

In a real world battle, snipers remain hidden and take their shots at range.  Every army on earth has snipers.  Its how you selectively remove a high value target.  Real snipers stay in one place, keep under cover, and only move when absolutly neccessary.

I think the cheesiest weapon (especially on indoor maps) are shotguns.  Judging on my attempts to level the shotty up, it requires ZERO skill.

I think I find calling snipers in this game “campers” rubs me the wrong way because I remember playing the games when the term camper came to use.  For us old bastards, campers where the people who camped spawn points in early FPS games (Quake).  There were only certain spawn points and people would just sit on those spots and shoot people who spawned in the back as soon as they appeared for free, easy, unskilled kills.  To compare someone in COD4 with these poeple for using a sniper rifle and shooting at moving, viable targets, is injust.

The nice thing about Halo movies, you will be able to spot cheaters when they start warping about the map on replays.

[ Edited: 23 September 2007 08:18 AM by Maj Malfunction]

Posted: 23 September 2007 08:23 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-06-07

I hate using the sniper rifle in any game because for me, one bullet is not near as effective as 100.  Spray and pray!

Posted: 23 September 2007 09:46 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2007-06-29
Maj Malfunction - 23 September 2007 06:27 AM

Explain this part to me however, IF “camping” is a “bad” thing, then why do ALL of the FPS games have sniper rifles?

Quake. The best FPS of all time didn’t have anything that barely resembled a sniper rifle. Guess you didn’t play it wink

And like that Irish feller said, sniper rifles in most games that have them are extremely easy to use, and is most commonly the weapon cowards that don’t know how to run&gun;turn to. All of the COD games have had a map design in such a way that its fairly easy to be a camper.

Sadly console FPS games are so slow that its pretty easy to be a camper and get away with it.
I miss Quake

Posted: 23 September 2007 09:49 AM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26
Steve Vice - 23 September 2007 09:46 AM

Explain this part to me however, IF “camping” is a “bad” thing, then why do ALL of the FPS games have sniper rifles?

Quake. The best FPS of all time didn’t have anything that barely resembled a sniper rifle. Guess you didn’t play it wink

And like that Irish feller said, sniper rifles in most games that have them are extremely easy to use, and is most commonly the weapon cowards that don’t know how to run&gun;turn to. All of the COD games have had a map design in such a way that its fairly easy to be a camper.

Sadly console FPS games are so slow that its pretty easy to be a camper and get away with it.
I miss Quake

The rocket Launcher perhaps?  Then for Quake 2, the ultimate sniper weapon, the Railgun.

Posted: 23 September 2007 10:07 AM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2007-06-29
Maj Malfunction - 23 September 2007 09:49 AM

I miss Quake

The rocket Launcher perhaps?  Then for Quake 2, the ultimate sniper weapon, the Railgun.

Rocket Launcher? If you were sniping with the rocket launcher you were doing something completely wrong, if the rocketlauncher was a sniperweapon then the ####### a-bomb in Unreal Tournament was as well, and i never mentioned Quake 2, that game was an abomination.

Quake was pretty much so fast that “sniping” was out of the question, and if you were standing still with the rocket launcher trying to hit anything you were giving yourself a pretty hard time against pretty much even a chimpanse.

Posted: 23 September 2007 10:10 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26
Steve Vice - 23 September 2007 10:07 AM
Maj Malfunction - 23 September 2007 09:49 AM

I miss Quake

Rocket Launcher? If you were sniping with the rocket launcher you were doing something completely wrong, if the rocketlauncher was a sniperweapon then the ####### a-bomb in Unreal Tournament was as well, and i never mentioned Quake 2, that game was an abomination.

Quake was pretty much so fast that “sniping” was out of the question, and if you were standing still with the rocket launcher trying to hit anything you were giving yourself a pretty hard time against pretty much even a chimpanse.

I think you were confused with my intentions with Quake, I was not talking about sniping in Quake, I was talking about spawn camping.  Which is what people with rocket launchers were doing at spawn points.  Which is what I am trying to point out that there is a difference between sniping and camping.  (Apprantly unsuccessfully)

Posted: 23 September 2007 10:14 AM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2007-06-29

well now…there is spawncamping, and there is camping.

camping in quake was if you were trying to find a “strategical spot in a highly trafficated room/area of the map where you could pick off targets as they entered.

And the shaft would be a heck of a more suitable weapon for spawncamping.

Posted: 23 September 2007 02:06 PM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-06-07

I thought the rail gun was the sniper rifle in Quake.

Posted: 23 September 2007 04:26 PM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2007-06-29
Gemini Ace - 23 September 2007 02:06 PM

I thought the rail gun was the sniper rifle in Quake.

There is no Rail Gun in Quake. There exists one in the Quake Series, but not in Quake the game. Difference.

Posted: 23 September 2007 04:30 PM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-06-07

I used a rail gun in Quake 4.  That’s all I know.

Posted: 23 September 2007 04:50 PM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26

The rail gun appeared in Quake 2 and on I believe, dunno about 4, but it was in 2 and 3.

Posted: 23 September 2007 10:24 PM   [ # 21 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2007-04-26

All I have to say is that about 99% of the Halo 3 saved films uploaded onto the File Share will consist of “Matrix-style” paused camera swings. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but the trend will probably be ridiculously widespread….

Posted: 24 September 2007 12:26 AM   [ # 22 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26
Hypersteric - 23 September 2007 10:24 PM

All I have to say is that about 99% of the Halo 3 saved films uploaded onto the File Share will consist of “Matrix-style” paused camera swings. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but the trend will probably be ridiculously widespread….

QFT

watched one video review and wanted to slap the ###### that did it with all the stupid camera swings.

Posted: 24 September 2007 08:20 AM   [ # 23 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2007-04-26

In the ign review that kept happening it would play then he would pause it and spin the camera around.

Posted: 24 September 2007 08:42 AM   [ # 24 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26

That would be the review I watched smile

Posted: 24 September 2007 09:54 AM   [ # 25 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2007-04-26

I saw that, too. It’s going to be really rare to find a video that doesn’t do that, I think.