The Temporary Wii
Posted: 28 August 2007 06:55 PM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2007-05-10

Walking through Target with my son is almost always the same. 

First we stop for diapers and wipes.  Then we pick up his medicine, finally we head down the back aisle, past the Winnie the Pooh and Tigger stuffed toys, and the bikes, into the aisle that has the cool growling Dinasour toys.  We spend 5 or ten minutes there, before moving to the Spider-Man/Transformers aisle.  Then finally down the last aisle, past the game display where I look in on any new games and the (ha ha) possibility that a Wii was in the display case.

He had already continued on to the Thomas electronic sounds book when I did a double take and saw it.

One Wii.

Catching up with my son I asked the guy behind the electronics counter if that was really a Wii and his response was: “Yes the last one.”

Now the first thing I thought was: “With Nintendo claiming shortages again this year, this would make a hell of an eBay profit.”

Too risky though.  Whose to say that Nintendo doesn’t get a surprise amount available for Christmas this year, and screw me over.  There was never really a question about buying it for me, part of the agreement with my wife is that we’re a one console household unless it’s bought for me or there’s an additional use for it outside of gaming.  (I had a plan in place for a PS3 purchase, a story for another time.) So for me it wasnt possible. 

Then I remembered someone.

One of the best parts about being married to my wife, aside from the gorgeous (What’s she doing with me?) woman, the awesome son, there comes her family, and her younger brother Jamie, is way ####### cool.  The man is smart as a whip, an incredible sense of humar, a gamer to boot, and he’s got an even more awesome girlfriend Cathleen.  She was the one that sent me on my over-night mission to get an Xbox 360 for Jamie.  Back in December she told me that she was looking for a Wii for her younger brother Mikey, who is one of THE best Halo players I’ve ever had the displeasure of getting assassinated by.

I digress, the guy is cool and he was looking for a Wii.  One phone call later, I owned a Wii.

But it’s only temporary.

It sits now next to my TV, and though Mikey gave me the OK to mess around with it, I’m leaving it closed, it’s his baby, let him unbox it.

Though I must say, I’m quite tempted.. smile

Posted: 28 August 2007 08:17 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2007-04-26

I’ve been seeing Wiis every other trip to my local Wal Mart lately (god I wish we had a Target).  They range from 1 to 7 units.  Not super short here now.

I got mine launch day.  Drove 30 minutes to a Target, waited in no line, and walked out with the Wii.  I was pretty danged lucky, since I went to my Wal MArt the night before 4 hours early and they had their line full for their allotment since 9 AM.

Anyhoo, its always nice to help a brotha out.  I hooked my buddy up with his PS3 in a similar way.

Posted: 28 August 2007 11:51 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

Well, if he ever gets tired of it, he knows who to call, right?  cool smile

Nice story!  You get some serious gaming karma for that one, I’m sure.

Posted: 29 August 2007 04:08 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-06-22

i cant get over how hard it is to get a wii in the usa,here in Australia i can walk into any “game shop” and see at lest 5, whats up with that. ??

Posted: 29 August 2007 07:07 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2007-06-18

Well, if your persistent you can find a Wii in the U.S. It just takes some effort on
your part. I’m always at my local Gamestop and I’ve seen quite a few Wii’s come through.
Of course they’re gone pretty quickly but if I really wanted one (badly enough), I could
get it.

Posted: 29 August 2007 08:02 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2007-05-10

I was just looking for looking sake. smile Yeah I’m hoping on the good gaming Karma. smile We’ll see.  I just wrote this up since I don’t have a place to really blog.  I should do something about that.

Posted: 29 August 2007 08:54 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2007-06-18
CooperHawkes - 29 August 2007 08:02 AM

I was just looking for looking sake. smile Yeah I’m hoping on the good gaming Karma. smile We’ll see.  I just wrote this up since I don’t have a place to really blog.  I should do something about that.

Yes, you should do something about that.

Posted: 29 August 2007 08:54 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2007-04-26
CooperHawkes - 29 August 2007 08:02 AM

I notice no one has lowered the tone with a wii penis joke yet.
Have we finally got used to the name and got bored of the jokes.
I can see why hawkes would be hesitant to put his hands on another mans wii.
sorry