2 of 2
GamerAndy Live! Episode 82: Sex, Lies and Gamertags
Posted: 09 June 2007 04:05 PM   [ # 26 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2007-06-07

Just to let people know,
  there is an article in this month’s Edge magazine, by Mr Biffo,
  which correlates directly with this episodes ‘message’.

He does go off on a bit of a tangent when talking about the Sony Goat event, but other than that, he discusses the benefits of being invited to industry events, and what those benefits require.

Posted: 10 June 2007 08:30 AM   [ # 27 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2007-04-26
Zeouterlimits - 09 June 2007 04:05 PM

He does go off on a bit of a tangent when talking about the Sony Goat event…

You sure you didn’t get ep. 79 by mistake?

Signature 

Even in the case of ladders, when simple hand-over-hand coordination is required, only one in four zombies will succeed.

Posted: 10 June 2007 10:36 AM   [ # 28 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2007-04-26

Zeouter is not refering to the podcats but the article in a magizine.

Posted: 10 June 2007 07:46 PM   [ # 29 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26

Yeah, but the goat thing was one of the topic of episode 79, which was accidentaly the file you got if you went to directly download the podcast instead of getting it through iTunes. It’s been fixed now, but I just wanted to make sure Ze got the right one.

Signature 

Even in the case of ladders, when simple hand-over-hand coordination is required, only one in four zombies will succeed.

Posted: 11 June 2007 07:20 AM   [ # 30 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2007-06-07

Nah, Robotkio,
  I have the proper podcast. I also have 79, I get them through the itunes feed.

I might need to listen to it again though, I’m still not sure what to think or who is wrong in this?
    Is it Microsoft setting up the MVP system? Or is those in an independent arena who accept it?
Or Both?

Posted: 11 June 2007 09:21 PM   [ # 31 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26

I don’t think either side is necessarily wrong. The fanboys are going to be fanboys whether or not their getting a, “we’ll rub your back if you rub ours,” deal and it makes sense that Microsoft would do this from a business standpoint. If anything I think the situation itself is wrong, at least as far as the MVP’s not having to announce that they’re compensated for their opinion, and that people who don’t have a particularly strong opinion that work the system saying worlds about Microsoft and getting stuff for it.

To me this is one of those stupid situations where everything fits but it just doesn’t feel right. Like some kind of awkward jigsaw puzzle gone awry.

Signature 

Posted: 11 June 2007 10:05 PM   [ # 32 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2007-06-11

Hey, I found the show and listened to a few of the previous ones also, really like them.  I will be checking back regularly for new podcasts. smile

[ Edited: 11 June 2007 10:13 PM by joeleneguinan]

Posted: 11 June 2007 11:10 PM   [ # 33 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

I really don’t see fault on MS’s side, and really don’t think they would/will be pissed at GA for the discussion (so far).  I think the fault is on the side of people who want to be independent bloggers/journalists but also get into bed with MS - you can’t do both.  MS wants the MVPs to evangelize their products far and wide, and quite probably have an expectation of positive evangelization.  They want the positive buzz without the risk of getting their mellow harshed that you get with independent bloggers/journalists.

Again, I don’t blame MS, but if people don’t disclose their conflict of interests and only spout positive warm fuzzies regardless of merit, then that is a problem for them.

I would *really* be interested to see if you could get a MS PR person from Gamerscore Blog or Major Nelson to weigh in.

Posted: 12 June 2007 12:28 AM   [ # 34 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  322
Joined  2007-04-26

I’m with you HeartbreakRidge. MS as a business is just trying another route to market their products, and as you said its up to the independent bloggers to be up front, honest, and objective. I think for the most part we can see who holds the fort, and who is ridding coat tails in our community. If we see some thing we don’t like, or understand its up to us to call them on it.

Posted: 12 June 2007 12:48 AM   [ # 35 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2007-06-07

Unlike the sheep who posted over at GTR, I actually listened to both podcasts, GA and the GTR response and they totally missed the point.  A lot of the MVP’s are community people who create apps for the Xbox360 community like the Mygamercard, or xbox360 blog.  I totally see how the MVP program works for MS, them and the community at large.  When it comes to independent podcasts, I could understand having one MVP on a show as long as a co-host was able to call him on his or her BS.  The problem comes when there is no full disclosure to the listener about the benifits of being an MVP.  For example, how did GTR get a Halo 3 Zune months before they are able to be purchased?  How do they get multiple interviews with Xbox360 and Xbox Live Arcade developers as well as MS employees every episode? 

In the interview with Aaron Greenberg, Godfrey said ” I am critical of you guys at times.  I have called you and IM’ed you with things about Xbox I have concerns about.”  There are two problems with that.  First off, you are doing a disservice to your listeners when you don’t voice your negative opinons on the air.  With all the on your knees interviews and product reviews, it would be nice to let your listeners when you don’t like something.  The second problem is that Godfrey and company have a direct line to MS employees.  How many podcasters have a direct line to MS bigwigs like Aaron Greenberg, Larry Hyrb, and Peter Moore?  That kind of access has to come at a price.  And that is the big problem. 

BTW, I like GamerAndy because Andy, Edie, Hawks, and the others always speak their own personal truth even when it is unpopular to do so.  I don’t always agree with everything they say, and that is fine, but they alway entertain, and they speak from the heart and thats why I respect them.

Posted: 12 June 2007 01:05 AM   [ # 36 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2007-04-26
Mon*Star - 12 June 2007 12:48 AM

Unlike the sheep who posted over at GTR, I actually listened to both podcasts, GA and the GTR response and they totally missed the point.  A lot of the MVP’s are community people who create apps for the Xbox360 community like the Mygamercard, or xbox360 blog.  I totally see how the MVP program works for MS, them and the community at large.  When it comes to independent podcasts, I could understand having one MVP on a show as long as a co-host was able to call him on his or her BS.  The problem comes when there is no full disclosure to the listener about the benifits of being an MVP.  For example, how did GTR get a Halo 3 Zune months before they are able to be purchased?  How do they get multiple interviews with Xbox360 and Xbox Live Arcade developers as well as MS employees every episode? 

In the interview with Aaron Greenberg, Godfrey said ” I am critical of you guys at times.  I have called you and IM’ed you with things about Xbox I have concerns about.”  There are two problems with that.  First off, you are doing a disservice to your listeners when you don’t voice your negative opinons on the air.  With all the on your knees interviews and product reviews, it would be nice to let your listeners when you don’t like something.  The second problem is that Godfrey and company have a direct line to MS employees.  How many podcasters have a direct line to MS bigwigs like Aaron Greenberg, Larry Hyrb, and Peter Moore?  That kind of access has to come at a price.  And that is the big problem. 

BTW, I like GamerAndy because Andy, Edie, Hawks, and the others always speak their own personal truth even when it is unpopular to do so.  I don’t always agree with everything they say, and that is fine, but they alway entertain, and they speak from the heart and thats why I respect them.

Damn nice summary.  I agree 100%

Posted: 12 June 2007 03:17 AM   [ # 37 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2007-06-07

They look even worse when you read Dan Shu’s editorial column in EGM, and listen to the EGMlive podcast from last week.

[ Edited: 12 June 2007 03:19 AM by Mon*Star]

Posted: 12 June 2007 11:46 AM   [ # 38 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26

I’m listening to this Gamertag Radio podcast radio now and I don’t think they get the problem.  I think they are focusing on the announce as the problem and not the “yes man” syndrome.
Like Mon*Star stated above.  They can tell MS they don’t like something in private all day long, what makes them come off as shills is that they DON’T tell the audience these opinions and concerns.

Also,  is it just me or did Aaron Greenburg come off as implying that anyone who did not think the announcement about Pac-Man being historic and such was an idiot?  I found his attitude to be a bit offensive.

(Do people who listen to videogame podcasts really need a 15 minute lecture on the importance/significance of Pac Man?)

[ Edited: 12 June 2007 12:01 PM by Maj Malfunction]

Posted: 12 June 2007 12:10 PM   [ # 39 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2007-05-10
Maj Malfunction - 12 June 2007 11:46 AM

I’m listening to this Gamertag Radio podcast radio now and I don’t think they get the problem.  I think they are focusing on the announce as the problem and not the “yes man” syndrome.
Like Mon*Star stated above.  They can tell MS they don’t like something in private all day long, what makes them come off as shills is that they DON’T tell the audience these opinions and concerns.

Also,  is it just me or did Aaron Greenburg come off as implying that anyone who did not think the announcement about Pac-Man being historic and such was an idiot?  I found his attitude to be a bit offensive.

(Do people who listen to videogame podcasts really need a 15 minute lecture on the importance/significance of Pac Man?)

It WAS historic indeed, but that’s Greenburg just trying to defend his stupid idea of pushing it by making it a bigger deal than it was.

Posted: 12 June 2007 02:12 PM   [ # 40 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2007-06-07

They could have saved a lot of people a lot of headaches if He just said “we have a major annoucement FOR XBOX LIVE ARCADE that is going to change videogame history.”

Posted: 12 June 2007 08:34 PM   [ # 41 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-05-10
joeleneguinan - 11 June 2007 10:05 PM

Hey, I found the show and listened to a few of the previous ones also, really like them.  I will be checking back regularly for new podcasts. smile

Hey Joelene!  That opening was about you ya know. smile Glad you liked it.  More coming soon!

Posted: 12 June 2007 09:49 PM   [ # 42 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-04-26

The hot chick from Uno?

Posted: 12 June 2007 10:16 PM   [ # 43 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2007-04-26

Well thats a nice way to say hello wink 

But hey Joelene good to know GA has another listener.

Posted: 12 June 2007 10:53 PM   [ # 44 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2007-06-11

Hey Joelene!  That opening was about you ya know. smile Glad you liked it.  More coming soon!

Hehehe…it was funny…and just to let you know I am also enjoying a cigarette while I am typing this.  smile  Ya I really liked it and I am getting a few other people hooked too!  Hope to catch you and Edie again sometime, although the time difference makes that rather difficult.  Anyway keep up the good work.  Later!

Posted: 14 June 2007 11:58 AM   [ # 45 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2007-06-08

Just so you guys know, GTR is giving away 5 copies of Pac-Man CE.  And, shockingly, they were given to Godfree by Aaron Greenberg.  Who didn’t see that coming?!

Is the war still on with GTR or do I need to go back into my cave like a good terrorist…I mean gamer?

Posted: 14 June 2007 12:43 PM   [ # 46 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-05-10
Gemini Ace - 14 June 2007 11:58 AM

Just so you guys know, GTR is giving away 5 copies of Pac-Man CE.  And, shockingly, they were given to Godfree by Aaron Greenberg.  Who didn’t see that coming?!

Is the war still on with GTR or do I need to go back into my cave like a good terrorist…I mean gamer?

Really not a war, more an expose.  Anyway, we know what Godfree is now so we should all know what to do.  No, nothing that serious, just ignore him.  He’s a shill, we know it and now everyone else does.

Just stick around and enjoy wholesome GamerAndy podcasts instead.  Yes nothing says: “Family”, “Country” and “Decency” like a Gamer Andy podcast.  Thrill to Andy’s bling obsession, ride along as Edie viciously tears down the ego of someone, using nothing but her words, laugh as Hawkes describes in uncomfortable detail how he would have sex with a character from “Mass Effect”.

Yes, a Gamer Andy Podcast, the last bastion of American moral fiber.

Posted: 14 June 2007 07:31 PM   [ # 47 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2007-06-08

Cool.  If you need me, just activate my sleeper cell.  Code word is shill.

Posted: 14 June 2007 08:00 PM   [ # 48 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2007-05-10
Gemini Ace - 14 June 2007 07:31 PM

Cool.  If you need me, just activate my sleeper cell.  Code word is shill.

Sweet.. we have an Army.. The Gamer Andy Army.

Posted: 14 June 2007 10:31 PM   [ # 49 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  322
Joined  2007-04-26

At ease!!!!!  shock

Posted: 15 June 2007 12:17 PM   [ # 50 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-06-15

Andy & Edie,

Super show, finally somebody set the record straight, cheers.

2 of 2