Windows Vista
Posted: 29 May 2007 04:15 AM     [ Ignore ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  165
Joined  2007-05-29

If you have not got a directx 10 graphics, there is no reason what so ever to install vista.

I have a pc with a core 2 duo 2.4ghz, 2 gig of ram, 8800 gts 640 mb grapgics card and approximatlet 640 gigs of hard drive space.  A 22” and 19” set of monitors for dual display.  Pretty average eh!

Well I first installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition and everything was great; until I checked to see how much of my system ram was being used.  A whole 1 gig had disappeared.  It decided to allocated 750 MB of my main ram to the graphics card which already has 640MB.  WTF; that’s coming straight off.

So I next installed the Home Premium edition 64 bit and all of a sudden the amount of ram used by Vista was 400MB, which is a whole better. 

With the Window xp premium 32 bit edition; the OS only uses 250MB.  So unless to really want to play Halo 2 on your PC; I wouldn’t upgrade yet.  It cost me 800 dollars (400 UK pounds) for the Ultimate edition and that went straight back to the Web site I bought it and I settled on the premium edition that only cost 160 dollars (80 UK pounds).

If after reading this, you decide to go for a dual boot system; then I would advise you have XP installed on your second drive/partition.  If it is on the first drive/partition, Vista will install over the top.  It didn’t give me the option to install to another drive.  It just installed straght away and that ways that.

I hope this little review of Vista is of use to someone.

[ Edited: 29 May 2007 04:19 AM by dave19711998]

Posted: 29 May 2007 01:45 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-05-28

Cool, Im on 3.2Ghz D, crappy 7600GS (waiting till a card like the 8800 comes along with the hardware acceleartion for HD video that the new 8500/8600 have (mainly x264)), 1.2TB HDD with 19+27” displays.

Had vista x64 ultimate since ~nov and you couldnt pay me to go back to XP, its just too slow an O/S for these days. I dont mind the extra MB’s RAM the O/S uses as its used to give a lot more responsivness, assuming the user is not on a glorified calculator. Most of the RAM is just pre allocated based on your habbits rather than necessitised, when a game is ran it should shut down all auxilliary processes and put resources towards it. I believe the better speeds in games on XP is mostly based on the extra time they’v had to tweak the drivers, assuming again the user dosent have a comp in need of upgrade in line with todays entry level.

My op to anyone would be if youv got a decent comp make the switch, or as the op suggests make a dual boot (although I just made the jump out of interest. Lack of drivers/compatability isnt really an issue like it used to be a few months ago+. If you dont like ultimates requirmets just shut down a few of the things like aero and keep the extra functionality. With so many advancments in tech since XP lauch, O/S evolution was/is a logical step.

Just an extra opinion wink

Posted: 29 May 2007 03:24 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2007-04-26

You totaly can’t call a 7600GS “crappy” while I’m sitting here with a 6600GTS thinking I have an OK setup. =P

Either way, as far as Vista goes, I’m holding out getting it untill I get a new PC, which probably won’t be for another year or so. I’m still skeptical of drivers working at 100% functionality among other things. That and I don’t have the amount of money I want to spend on a new rig.

[ Edited: 04 June 2007 03:15 PM by Robotkio]
 Signature 

Even in the case of ladders, when simple hand-over-hand coordination is required, only one in four zombies will succeed.

Posted: 04 June 2007 04:24 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-06-01

Edit: WTF happened to my post?

Basically, all I said was that it’s dead annoying when it asks if you want to shut down 3 times and that it is gonna be a few Service Packs before it is any good.

[ Edited: 04 June 2007 10:22 AM by NemesisXposed]

Posted: 04 June 2007 08:07 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2007-04-26

Ok you guys have nothing over me,  I am running a Pentium D 2.8Gh processor with 80GB hard drive, and integrated graphics accelerator, and only 512 RAM.  I will be getting a new computer before getting vista.  And don’t you dare complain about actually having a physical graphics card angry

Posted: 04 June 2007 08:42 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2007-04-26

Like I’ve said,
Vista will be an awesome platform in about a year.

Right now it is SO borked

Signature 

Host of GamerAndy Live!
That dude with that show
Purveyor of fine stuff
We should make our own Wiki that details some of our inside jokes, like Chapple Banditry and Pants Optional Podcasting