digital house
Posted: 17 September 2005 12:30 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2005-02-24

were getting our house expanded and remodeled and whatnot, and my parents have asked me to plan an entertainment system.  i think i need some help. here are features i was thinking about:

large screen tv (necessary)

a home theater PC

a network storage device (instead of an htpc, and put digital media player in living room as well)

digital media players like this: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=387 in every bedroom with a smallish tv (not sure about sizes) in order to hook up to either network storage or htpc with large HDD and stream music/video to all 5 bedrooms

some sort of system to play music in the kitchen/dining room and on the patio (2 seperate streams with no TVs involved)

tivo or something like it (preferably on all tvs, but recording on just the main tv and allowing the recorded show to be played through the digital media players on all other tvs would also be fine)

not too many remote controls (preferably one per room)

wireless would be nice, but if a wireless connection couldn’t deal with all these streams running at the same time, we can go with wired

i would like to keep price down as much as possible, but at this stage i am just designing the “dream setup”, and when i consult with my parents we will inevitably cut parts out for what we actually end up with.

i want this to be awesome enough to make my parents go for it despite inevitably high costs