Gratis Sucks
Posted: 29 March 2005 05:18 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-09-16

well why coudlnt gratis tell me that…good thing i come here and find out valuable info…....will gratis give me a paypal check for equal value instead of the xbox if i request it???

Posted: 29 March 2005 05:18 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-09-16

:D
Get anyones attention.

I have, and have had for a while the domain http://www.gratissucks.com I was going to turn it into a partner site to imonhold.com but then Stanley mysteriously disappeared.

And imonhold.net seems to be just a forum based site.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for this, or any good use it could be put to.

Thanks

Posted: 29 March 2005 05:19 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  523
Joined  2005-01-24

how many sites are u on hold for them for?

Posted: 29 March 2005 05:21 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1441
Joined  2005-06-22

You have legal issues in your hand.  See inonhold.com did not use Gratis’ name, however, your site does.  You will most likely be asked to put it down, or legal actions will follow your decision..

Just a heads up.

Posted: 29 March 2005 06:09 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2004-11-07

Uh, no. Gratis means “free” in another language or something. “Gratis” isn’t trademarked. “Gratis Internet” and “Gratis Network” most likely are, but not “gratis”. That would be like trademarking “the” or “is”.

Posted: 29 March 2005 06:12 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  2503
Joined  2004-12-28
[quote author=“ksg455”]Uh, no. Gratis means “free” in another language or something. “Gratis” isn’t trademarked. “Gratis Internet” and “Gratis Network” most likely are, but not “gratis”. That would be like trademarking “the” or “is”.

manz got a point there

Posted: 29 March 2005 06:19 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-09-15
[quote author=“ksg455”]Uh, no. Gratis means “free” in another language or something. “Gratis” isn’t trademarked. “Gratis Internet” and “Gratis Network” most likely are, but not “gratis”. That would be like trademarking “the” or “is”.

exactly

Posted: 29 March 2005 07:41 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-02-24

The issue wouldn’t be the actual word itself, but if the website slanders the gratis networks company.  If the website is called gratis sucks, and everything is about sites owned by the Gratis Network, it wouldn’t take a genius to figure out the correlation…

I’m not saying something will happen, just that something could happen.

Posted: 29 March 2005 07:46 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1598
Joined  2005-09-19

But the point their trying to make is that Gratis just means free (in latin actually…oh the things we learn in high school) and as long as they don’t mention Gratis Networks or whatever, they’ll be fine.

My advice: put the site up and see if you can get your accounts off hold.  They may be willing to bargain with you!

Posted: 29 March 2005 07:58 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-02-24

[quote author=“Bend3r”]But the point their trying to make is that Gratis just means free (in latin actually…oh the things we learn in high school) and as long as they don’t mention Gratis Networks or whatever, they’ll be fine.

My advice: put the site up and see if you can get your accounts off hold.  They may be willing to bargain with you!

I understood they were trying to say that gratis meant free, I was just mentioning that by containing certain content, it could be viewed as the gratis network company…

Posted: 29 March 2005 08:10 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2004-08-23

An internet acquaintance of mine that used to post on this board created a website that contained complaints from Gratis members, a walkthrough for Gratis websites, cancellation numbers for offers—basically the whole nine yards. He got an email from Gratis’ legal department saying that if he didn’t remove the offending content, they would pursue legal action against him. Guess what. It’s been at least four months and nothing has happened. His website still lives. My guess is that crappy ol’ Gratis is full of hot air.

EDIT: Profanity. Sorry.

Posted: 30 March 2005 01:07 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2005-02-05

I imagine they probably figured it would be a waste of time to pursue legal action against the site. Anyway, Gratis does mean ‘free’ in Spanish as well.

I think you’d be fine putting that site up. But don’t quote me on that. =) If you really care, consult an attorney.

But, honestly, why go through all the effort of putting up a site like that?

Posted: 30 March 2005 07:53 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2005-09-21

Im still waiting on an xbox supposedly shipped by gratis on 2/17/05 !! No tracking # either, this sucks, ive waited over a month and they dont even respond to support tickets..

Posted: 30 March 2005 08:15 AM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  2503
Joined  2004-12-28
[quote author=“blakthorn”]Im still waiting on an xbox supposedly shipped by gratis on 2/17/05 !! No tracking # either, this sucks, ive waited over a month and they dont even respond to support tickets..

xboxes are backordered AFAIK

Posted: 30 March 2005 07:49 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2005-09-21

updated:

3/30/2005 4:13:37 PM
customer service wrote:
In looking into this matter, it was discovered that the latest lot of XBoxes which were updated in our database as Shipped on 3/8/05 were incorrect. In talking with our distributor, we learned that XBoxes are currently backordered and 3/8/05 was the day they learned of this, NOT when the XBoxes were shipped. At this juncture, we can not give a definite time frame. However, we will keep you updated on the progress of the order. Thank you for your patience. Also, we do not offer Paypal equivalents.