What do you do online?
Posted: 17 April 2006 03:06 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-04-17

I spend a great deal of time online, because it’s not only a form of recreation and an information source for me, but it’s also my workplace. 
Generally, when I’m online, I am usually checking/answering email, posting on forums that I belong to, participating in a couple of rpgs (role-playing games) that I like to write in, looking up information, IMing friends and writing articles and web-content.

Posted: 17 April 2006 06:45 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-04-17

Hey, anarch - we need to hook up 😊.

As a freelance writer, the web is my workplace too. I do design and writing, so I’m often checking out other folks blogs, checking in on job forums where I score work, posting on forums that I belong to and either rp’ing or adminning in one of the games that I’m part of.

Posted: 17 April 2006 07:32 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-04-13

Hi guys!!

I guess I spend a lot of time online, although it is not my profession.  I tend to spend a lot of time googling students papers to see if any of them are plagarized. 😊  On top of that I love to keep up with all the new things going on in the world around me that I often feel out of the loop on.  Iming is something that I have really only gotten really involved in within the last year.

Posted: 18 April 2006 01:08 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2006-04-12

I do a lot of research for my assignments for school. I check email, chat, update my journal, post on message boards, read news, read blogs, play games, put library material on hold (lame, I know), surf ebay and sell stuff on ebay… that’s all I can think of right now.

Posted: 18 April 2006 08:41 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-04-18

Well, I do a lot of things online, mostly checking my emails, working and chatting.  I don’t do a lot else really.  And oh yeah, I post in forums as well…as you can see.

Posted: 18 April 2006 05:19 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1028
Joined  2005-01-15

I make money, look up tutorials for photoshop/flash, email, post on forums, share homework answers with my friends through aim, and play some games online.

Posted: 19 April 2006 12:11 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-04-17

Last night i was reading an article about what we do online really can show what type of person we are.

At the start i thought it was a load of bumpf but as i read through i was actually seeing some tell tell signs as to what i am really like.

For example people playing games over the age of 25 online, gives an indication of warm and playful nature, mabe have children themselves, and young at heart..

All this stuff is probably made up but do you think that people can tell what sort of person you are by the things you have listed in the posts above?

Posted: 19 April 2006 12:52 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2006-04-12

I think it definitely does. There was this article my friend was telling me about. I wish I could find it, but I can’t. It was basically saying stuff like… you’re one of those older people who act young if you are over the age of 25 and still dress like you’re 22, you want an ipod, you play video games, etc…
There’s nothing really wrong with that, but if you are one of those people you probably are still a kid at heart. I’m like that, and I’m 27 - I’m not going to stop playing video games just because society tells me to. I’m going to be me, and if that means I am “not acting my age” or “am acting too young” than so be it. I’m mature with the decisions I make in my life, and how I treat other people, and that’s all that should matter.

Posted: 19 April 2006 06:11 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-04-17

I agree that what you do online can tell a lot about the kind of person that you are and what interests you. Speaking of doing things online though…

My mom is 67. Four years ago, I went down to set up her computer and get her online. We chat via IM nearly everyday now —she totally kills me. She uses IM to stay in touch with her grandkids, all of them between 12 and 24. When I talk to her I feel like I’m talking to my 16 year old.. it goes like this..

hi how r u?

Hi, mom! What’s up?

nuttin. Just wuz talkin 2 ur daughter.. well g2g ur dad is complainin that im online again lol

Yipes.

Posted: 20 April 2006 01:31 PM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-04-11

Chamelon,

That is hysterical. My parents wouldn’t know how to plug one in - and they don’t want to know.

Most of my online time is work related. I do a lot of copyediting and freelance writing for clients so I spend time researching and connecting with clients.

I rarely play games - not that I don’t like them - I just don’t seem to have the time.

Then, of course, interfacing with people who have no faces (or some sort of Ronald Mikey clown thingy - yikes) is also something I find myself doing more and more. 😊

Posted: 03 May 2006 11:41 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2006-03-31

When I am online, I search for really great websites with fun content, I love makezine.com gearlive.com and others like the mythbusters part of discover. Make is awesome because of all the creations you get to see there…speaking of creations I discovered a new site designed to show off your creations cre.ations.net its got entry spots, you will just have to see it, its cool. I like gearlive because they are BIG they have mindcamp (look it up on google) and a video podcast, and a handfull of writers so its a good way for me to keep up on technonogy. i also love worth1000.com I enter their photoshop contests, pretty often. And I like to look at cool pictures so I go to google images and look up say “fractal” or “invention” or “eccentric” and just see what comes up.

Posted: 24 May 2006 07:01 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-05-24

Forumposting
World of Warcraft (Argent Dawn EU)
Email
MSN/AIM
Browse
Slashdot
etc…...

I spend 4-8 hours a day on the computer it’s quite sad…

Posted: 25 May 2006 08:15 PM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2006-05-24

I check my e-mails. I have two accounts through hotmail and yahoo. As a freelance writer I also look for work, contests, and other research I have to do. I post on my forums, look up information constantly, read MSN news to find out what’s going on in the world, and find as many writing websites as I can. I usually am also checking travel itinaries to get an idea of some fun and exciting vacations I might want to take.

Posted: 27 May 2006 08:29 AM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-05-27

i play some games, plan journeys, read email, post a bit, ermmm…dunno I couldnt cope withoput the Internet thats for sure

Posted: 28 May 2006 05:24 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-05-27

I do a lot of my homework online since I attend college classes through the internet.  I’m also a compulsive e-mail checker.