1 2 > 
1 of 2
Prepaid Credit Cards?
Posted: 26 November 2005 10:15 PM     [ Ignore ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2005-09-05

go to your local bank and get a checking account with a debit card. your 16 you can get one. dont waste your time and money on that ebay crap.

Posted: 27 November 2005 01:01 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2005-09-05

wow, I can get a checking account 2? Hell yeah, ill be able to sell on eBay!

Anyways, what would I need to take with me to the bank? I don’t have an ID, but do I need like a social and all that or what? Do I need my mom?

Posted: 27 November 2005 01:19 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  466
Joined  2005-09-14

call.

Posted: 09 February 2006 06:13 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-02-09

These cards actually exist and work well (they’re actually prepaid debit cards, not prepaid credit cards), but they work like credit cards.

Check out http://www.prepaidcardforum.com to learn more.

Best of luck!

Posted: 10 February 2006 04:41 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  511
Joined  2005-03-17
MakaVeli - 27 November 2005 05:01 AM

wow, I can get a checking account 2? Hell yeah, ill be able to sell on eBay!

Anyways, what would I need to take with me to the bank? I don’t have an ID, but do I need like a social and all that or what? Do I need my mom?

When I was under 18 I got a checking account that had both my name and my mothers, some places like Bank of America don’t allow you to have one even with a parent, so I tried BankNorth and they allowed it, if you try one bank and they say no just try another, you should be able to find one.

Posted: 13 February 2006 09:00 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2005-10-01

walgreens and cvs sells them.  They are called greendot cards.

Posted: 11 April 2006 07:24 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-04-11

Lots of options from PayPal to the prepaid debit cards, but, uh yeah, tell your mom - she probably has a few answers of her own.  :coolhmm:

Posted: 17 April 2006 06:16 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-04-17

I’m a big fan of prepaid ‘credit cards’ - and they work very nicely for handing out allowances to kids. If you get an allowance and would like to be able to spend it online, try asking your mom to get you a prepaid debit/credit card (like someone said, they sell them at CVS) and giving you your allowance by loading it onto your card. You can use the card anywhere that accepts credit cards - but you can only spend the amount that’s been loaded on it. It’s actually a pretty good way to learn some responsibility with credit cards ,too.

Posted: 17 April 2006 07:24 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-04-17

I never tried the prepaid debt cards though they do sound intriguing.  I personally just use my PayPal debt card if I need to use a credit card, since they double as Master Cards. 

For most bank accounts, you need picture i.d. and a social or a utility or something with your name on it (at least the ones up in MI required that).

Posted: 18 April 2006 07:32 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-04-18

Does not make sense to me having a prepaid credit card.  It sounds more like just having a debit card. Or am I missing something here?  Someone please tell me if I am.

Posted: 18 April 2006 04:32 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-04-18

It seems everyone has these today.  My bank even has cards you can preload for your children and such.  I also saw that Western Union has a pre-loaded Visa card as well.

I would suggest following the other advice though, and just get a regular bank account if possible.  I know I recently opened a second account with free checking, free atm charges anywhere, free checks, pretty much free everything.  Then I opened up a free business account later on and they upgraded my personal account to premium for no charge.

Banks are very competitive these days, especially the smaller ones, so you can get some pretty good deals.  Heck I even got a $50 amazon gift card for opening my account.

Posted: 19 April 2006 12:02 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-04-17

Prepaid Cards have just only recently hit the UK.
Getting them from Ebay i totally disagree with, there are far too many cons on there to trust any.

But getting them from officail sites and banks i think is a great idea.

Having the use of a credit card but not having any debt and only spending what you can afford i think is a really good concept.

For people with a ba credit score that want to get things better, also a great thing to have.

These cards encourage spending what you have saved to put on to the card, and encourage not having a card that povides debt but just spending what you can afford. Wheres the harm in that?

Posted: 19 April 2006 01:13 AM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2004-12-29

Posted: 19 April 2006 06:04 AM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Joined  2006-04-17

I’ve never had a problem with either eBay or Paypal, for all the rotten things that I’ve heard about both. In fact, a couple of months back, I lost my Paypal debit card - sucked up by an ATM while I counted my money (who knew the thing was carnivorous and hungry??) - and for a whole host of reasons, haven’t been able to replace it. That means - since I’m paid nearly 100% through paypal - that in order to get at my money, I need to paypal it to my roommate and have him pull it out with HIS paypal debit card. So.. I send him money one night and without thinking put ‘for cigarettes and household stuff’ in the memo line just so he knows what the money is for… and the next thing you know, he gets a letter from Paypal freezing his account and warning him about buying cigarettes. Sounds like the beginning of a nightmare, right? But it wasn’t because Paypal was great. It took me less than five minutes on the phone to explain the situation and have them fix everything.

Anyway…. waaaay off topic. Prepaid debit cards. Aside from them being a great way to give kids experience using plastic - because face it, we’re in a plastic world - while teaching them that the money isn’t unlmited - I also strongly recommend using a prepaid debit card for online purchases. I feel a whole lot safer making online purchases with a card that ONLY has the amount on it that I put on it - usually just enough for the purchases - and isn’t linked in any way to my credit cards or bank accounts.

Posted: 19 April 2006 08:01 AM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-04-18

Well, I’d have to agree, using ebay is just a good way of making some guy somewhere rich.  I’ve used ebay to try to sell stuff but have realised it a waste of your time and money…you’re better off selling things on your own site.

Posted: 19 April 2006 10:38 AM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2004-12-29

Posted: 19 April 2006 11:01 AM   [ # 16 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-04-18
chameleon - 19 April 2006 09:04 AM

I’ve never had a problem with either eBay or Paypal, for all the rotten things that I’ve heard about both. In fact, a couple of months back, I lost my Paypal debit card - sucked up by an ATM while I counted my money (who knew the thing was carnivorous and hungry??) - and for a whole host of reasons, haven’t been able to replace it. That means - since I’m paid nearly 100% through paypal - that in order to get at my money, I need to paypal it to my roommate and have him pull it out with HIS paypal debit card. So.. I send him money one night and without thinking put ‘for cigarettes and household stuff’ in the memo line just so he knows what the money is for… and the next thing you know, he gets a letter from Paypal freezing his account and warning him about buying cigarettes. Sounds like the beginning of a nightmare, right? But it wasn’t because Paypal was great. It took me less than five minutes on the phone to explain the situation and have them fix everything.

I am a little bit intrigued about why you can’t get your paypal debit card back.  I have a paypal business account with debit card and use it all the time it is a real godsend.  I have heard all these paypal horror stories, but I also know a lot of people who have had no issues.  The cigarette line is kind of funny.  They must have some kind of automatic filtering.

Anyways, you can get your money out by transfering it to your bank account or they will even send you a check as far as I know.  Nothing beats the debit card though, and I would like to know why you can not get yours replaced.

Posted: 19 April 2006 01:19 PM   [ # 17 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Joined  2006-04-17

It’d take me an hour to explain all the circumstances - basically, between me being stupid about changing my mailing address when I moved last fall and my roommate’s daughter deciding that my bank debit card was fair game for her use without my permission - I ended up without a bank account - and didn’t even know it because the little chit was clever enough to hide all the mail notices from the bank. The only reason that I even had the account was to anchor my Paypal, so I never thought to check it… so when I tried to replace the debit card, I found I had to change the address and when I went to change the address I found I had no bank card to verify a new address with… in fact, it’s all me being careless with things I should not have been. When you come right down to it, as frustrating as it is, kudos to Paypal for their security measures in NOT sending a new debit card to an address that couldn’t be verified through the credit card company.

Posted: 20 April 2006 01:27 PM   [ # 18 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-04-11

I had some difficulties with PayPal, but they were my own fault. I actually started three accounts over the course of three years (only used it three times and each time forgot I had such an account). Long story short I had money from some freelance work sent to my newest account, but my information conflicted with one of my existing accounts. So - two accounts with the same info - mmmm, nobody’s getting the money.

In the end I spent three hours on the phone sorting it all out - works like a charm now. Although it was a nightmare at the time.

Prepaid credit cards for kids - well, now that would be just what my kiddos would want. Being a good parent I could never agree to being agreeable.  😉

Posted: 31 May 2006 11:14 AM   [ # 19 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2006-05-25

Where I live, you can get prepaid cc at the local mall.  Any Simon Mall carries them.

Posted: 02 June 2006 11:46 PM   [ # 20 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2005-02-24

yup, i did my offers for free sites using simon mall cards.

Posted: 04 June 2006 10:50 AM   [ # 21 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2006-05-24

A pre-paid credit card seems like just the thing for people who don’t know how to handle their spending. I like the idea of using it as an allowance for kids. Great idea.

Posted: 20 April 2009 07:21 PM   [ # 22 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-19

Thank you so much for your sharing 😉

[right]maison de credit[/right]

Posted: 15 May 2009 09:53 PM   [ # 23 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
N00b
Joined  2009-05-15

simulation credit auto
Thank you for your detailed response.
Have a good day you guys

Posted: 29 June 2009 06:36 PM   [ # 24 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-06-29

Prepaid cards can work great but make sure you treat them as you would cash.  Also, I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t believe you can initiate a chargeback (should there be a problem with the purchase) as you can with a credit card.  Good luck!

Posted: 30 June 2009 02:46 AM   [ # 25 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
N00b
Joined  2009-06-30

Thanks so much for sharing the post.

credit auto

1 2 > 
1 of 2