Installing Windows on an SATA drive
Posted: 23 November 2004 12:42 PM     [ Ignore ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-11-23

Hey, i recently bought a Hitachi Desktar 250gb Sata HD. I was able to connect it to my motherboard with no problems and even have it be recognized by windows.  however, when i attempted to install windows XP Pro,(once it went into the Dos like portion of the install) it does not recognize it at all. I have enabled the sata controller on my Motherboard and i have installed the driver for it as well. My motherboard is the GigaByte GA-K8VT800M. Does anybody have any suggestions in order to get it to work?

Posted: 25 November 2004 12:43 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1103
Joined  2005-07-06

i myself have two SATA hard drives on RAID 0. When installing windows XP i had to load a driver, when u are initializing setup it will say “press F6? to load a third party SCSI or RAID driver” not sure if thats the exact message, anyway i have the driver on a floppy and i load my RAID 0 Driver from their. U will probbably need to find the driver for your SATA controller or RAID controller if u have one in order for WIndows to see the Hard Drive.

Posted: 25 November 2004 01:33 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1649
Joined  2004-09-14

You have to go intot he bios and choose the option that says ATA if not SATA or something like that. That same exact problem happened to me a while ago.
I tried what evilXhwnd said to do but that didnt work. I have a western digital. The only thing that did work was go into the bios and changed the way it was recognized.

Edit- I went into my bios and you have to find this option in your SATA settings. Raid Autodetect / ATA. Set it to that and reboot. It should now work.

Posted: 29 November 2004 04:13 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2006-01-03

yeah, all you have to do is load your sata card drivers on a floppy, and press f6 when windows install is starting up (It says PRESS F6 NOW TO INSTALL THIRD PARTY BLAH BLAH BLAH DRIVERS) do that, it should work swimmingly.

Posted: 29 November 2004 09:08 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1649
Joined  2004-09-14

That didnt work for me as I stated on my post that you didnt read. :|