problem with my cd drive
Posted: 28 October 2004 06:54 AM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2004-07-27

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about this.  My cd burner lately has been disappearing from my computer.  When I say disappear I mean it will work for 20-40 min then if you go to My Computer it won’t be there, it won’t open, the light won’t flash when I try to open, if I go to a burning program it’s not there.  The only way to get it back is by restarting which can be a huge pain.

This all has happened in the past, but recently it’s been happening more and more.  Also, recently I’ll go to burn a cd, put a blank in and it won’t read as blank.  It’s almost as if when I put in a new cd it won’t update the info about that cd.  Like say I have an a microsoft cd in my drive, then I put in a blank.. it won’t update to say that it’s blank.  (Although when looking at the properties it will say that there’s nothing on it) It’s very strange…

any ideas?

Posted: 28 October 2004 10:05 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2004-12-28

How old is the drive?  CD drives will eventually “expire” depending on the quality of the workmanship that went into making the drive.  Ive had to replace a CD drive before due to the fact that it was a few years old and not functioning properly.  Mabye the IDE cable came loose.  It happens from time to time because of the vibration of the computer.  But that shouldn’t prevent the drive from opening and closing.  :think:

Posted: 28 October 2004 10:08 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18

My DVD player began working just intermittently(sp?).  Just got worse over time by itself.  :|  This is the one for my TV, but same concept.

Posted: 28 October 2004 12:53 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2004-07-27

yeah it’s pretty old like 3 years.. but i don’t know.. this seems to be kind of sudden.. I mean it did this every once and a while before but now it’s like constant.. i’ve looked around the net to see if anyone else has had the problem and it seems that people have.. even with new players.. but i haven’t been able to find a good solution.

Posted: 28 October 2004 01:16 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

time to replace, cd burners are cheap.

Posted: 28 October 2004 01:29 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2004-07-27
[quote author=“antman22”]time to replace, cd burners are cheap.

except i’m a poor college student.. :(.. and plus.. i like my cd burner.. it’s got a clear blue faceplate thingy haha

Posted: 28 October 2004 04:08 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2004-07-27

now this is weird..

the cd drive seems to be working fine.. when i pop in a blank discs the windows option thing comes up fine.. if i pop one in when itunes is open it recognizes a blank one

yet when i try to burn something in nero it always says that the disc isn’t blank

Posted: 28 October 2004 04:12 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2004-12-28

It most likely has something to do with the laser.  Those lasers dont have a very long lifespan.  From what I’ve heard, I’m almost positive that the laser is the problem.  You COULD send it into the company to have the laser replaced.  Or you could just buy a new CD-RW drive for ALOT cheaper.  I got mine for like 30 bucks, not too bad.

Posted: 28 October 2004 04:21 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2004-07-27

except.. why in the world.. would it read fine with everything but nero.. if it was the laser don’t you think it wouldn’t read at all

Posted: 29 October 2004 02:17 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

it might be nero, if u installed sp2, nero apparently is one of the 5000 programs that have conflicts with sp2. maybe go to the nero site and see if there are any sp2 patches.

Posted: 29 October 2004 09:08 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2004-07-27

this was all really weird..

so i decided to uninstall nero and reinstall it.. which wasn’t getting me any results.. I burned a cd with a different program and then the cdrom freaked out.. the led was blinking red.. so i unplugged the drive completely and then I decided to just make a new file.. so i did that and the new file burned fine.. i’m watching it right now

as weird as this sounds I think it may be the file.. although i could be wrong.