GTA: San Andreas Got Tooken!
Posted: 21 October 2004 08:37 AM     [ Ignore ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18

But it won’t have an effect on the Oct 26th release date.  More info here .

Posted: 21 October 2004 10:07 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2005-01-03

OMG Now all I have to do is buy a PS2, buy a mod chip, mod my PS2, Download the game, and burn a DVD to play it! 😊

Posted: 21 October 2004 10:10 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  868
Joined  2004-09-27
[quote author=“Bootes”]OMG Now all I have to do is buy a PS2, buy a mod chip, mod my PS2, Download the game, and burn a DVD to play it! 😊

LOL. 👏

Posted: 21 October 2004 10:44 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18

That’s what it feels like to get a free iPod, and people are doing that.  :think:    :lol:

Posted: 21 October 2004 11:06 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  868
Joined  2004-09-27
[quote author=“HectorGearLive”]That’s what it feels like to get a free iPod, and people are doing that.  :think:    :lol:

LMAO! Yes, that is what it feels like, and it seems I have gone through that provess multiple times with only 2 referals. 😛

Posted: 21 October 2004 06:49 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

haha mmm free games.. good old mod chips. I got one haha.

Posted: 22 October 2004 09:05 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2005-09-21

That drives me crazy, I read the release date was the 19th, I reserved it on the 1st. They told me it was the 19th, then i showed up, waitied in line for 10 mins, asked for my game, and they busted out laughing. So now tuesday, hmmm…

Posted: 23 October 2004 04:01 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
N00b
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-10-22

Don’t you think it strange, everyone, that so many “high-profile” attacks and “thefts” are taking place on sequels to games, near their release date? Seems fishy to me…...

Think about it you are a game publisher/developer/whatever. You have a hopefully-hot title, a sequel to a popular and well-selling game, that you wish to promote; problem is, the usual PR garbage may not be enough anymore. Demos may reveal too much of the gameplay (i.e. weaknesses in the game), and the movies only go so far. Why not stage a “theft”, a “leak” of the code around the usual dark corners of the Internet, put out a public announcement that a “break-in” was committed, and those caught with the code “will be prosecuted under the fullest extent of the law”, then sit back and wait. Pure genius.

Is anyone still going to sit there, fifteen years after the Internet took off, more than three years after the WTC attack, with notices by CERT about potential holes and threats to the cyber-infrastructure posted nearly every day for YEARS, that these so-called “high-tech” game companies, who should have a great grasp of technological abilities and shortfalls, STILL HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO SECURE THEIR SERVERS???

Too much coincidence, people, too much

[1] Valve’s code for Half-Life 2 get “stolen” near their September launch, withholds going gold until this November (don’t hold breath)

[2] Microsoft’s Halo 2, French version, taken and circulated.

[3] Now Take 2, near financial straits and betting the farm on number (lessee, one, two, three, Vice City…..) , well call it number five, of their Grand Theft property (which didn’t really soar in the public until III), suddenly reports a “theft” of their gamecode.

They have the followingin common [a] followups to popular games by big names that need as much hype as possible in order to be heard out in this crowded and high-competitive market, since [c] no-one’s heard hide nor hair of them since the last time that “title was released and [d] the swag they have been pushing out hasn’t been enough. Besides [e] with enough spin, bad publicity (someone broke into our servers and stole the gamecode) can become good (our stuff’s so HOTHOTHOT people are stealing it from us).

Or am I missing something here?

Posted: 27 October 2004 09:27 AM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“RonHack”]with enough spin, bad publicity (someone broke into our servers and stole the gamecode) can become good (our stuff’s so HOTHOTHOT people are stealing it from us).

That’s an interesting theory!  :think:

Makes you wonder if the Valve theft was really because they needed more time to work on the code.  And true, by reporting it as a theft, even non-game journalists will publicize the game by covering said “theft.”  What do the rest of you guys think!?

‹‹ World of Warcraft      Burnout Revenge Review ››