Anyone use a wireless router at home?
Posted: 29 September 2004 09:07 AM     [ Ignore ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2004-07-28

If you’re going to be doing a lot of file transferring among your home computers, then you should look into routers with the Super G technology, which is capable of 108mbps. I have the Netgear WGT624, and I’m pretty satisfied with it. If you’re not going to be transferring files among your home, then standard G or even B is good enough. B is of course cheaper than G. As for the range, most routers typically have a range of a couple hundred feet. However, a wall would limit that range drastically, possibly to even less than 30 feet. So perhaps having the router on the first or third floor may not be as good as placing it on the second floor.

Posted: 29 September 2004 09:07 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2004-07-28

Anyone use a wireless router at home?  I’m looking into getting one and have heard a lot of differing opinions on what to get.  I’m looking into getting either a D-Link Di-624, Lynksys WGR614, or a Netgear (WGR614,or WG624).  Any thoughts?

Posted: 29 September 2004 09:24 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

Do you mean a Linksys WRT54G?

Get it now. Best one out there. I have it running, with four devices connected to it wirelessly.

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 29 September 2004 10:59 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
You > Me
Joined  2004-07-28

[quote author=“AndruGearLive”]Do you mean a Linksys WRT54G?

Get it now. Best one out there. I have it running, with four devices connected to it wirelessly.

Yes, I typed the wrong number after the Linksys.  I’ve read that the range may not be so good.  Have you had any signal loss problems?  I plan on having this connected on the third or first floor of my house and be able to use a laptop with a 802.11 b/g (WLAN and Speedbooster).  I don’t have any knowledge or experience with wireless networks, so any adivice is appreciated. 

Thanks!

Posted: 29 September 2004 09:34 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2005-02-24

i have a netgear wgr614.  i got it along with a netgear desktop wireless pci card for $30 total at compusa after enough mail in rebates to make their receipt machine run out of paper.  it is fast enough for my needs, i dont really see why anyone would need more than 54 Mbps considering the fastest broadband ive seen runs at 3 Mbps.

Posted: 30 September 2004 02:58 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2004-07-19

I run a Dlink 624.  I ran a .b Linksys previously and had firmware problems up the wazoo.
Looked around a while and liked the 624.  It connects three wireless nodes and a bridge.
Seems to do just fine.  Wonderfully flexible setup options that aren’t dumbed down and handicapped.

Posted: 01 October 2004 04:48 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2004-08-06

I have the OLD Linksys 802.11b router that I’ve had for a few years.  Bought it before g even came out and I’ve had no problems with it.  So far I have 7 computers connected to it wirelessly and one connected direclty through cat5.  All is good, signal is ok.  I bought a signal booster to increase the range and I don’t think that made much a difference.

My wireless router sits upstairs in my room on top of my computer, and I still get signal all the way downstairs even with my door closed.  I’d get the Linksys G version if I were you.