< 1 2
2 of 2
Completed the Matrix Trilogy last night - what the hell?
Posted: 05 November 2004 04:27 AM   [ # 26 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“Andreux”]Oh, I totally understood the part with the Architect, but to be quite honest, I don’t even know what the war is for. LOL Why is Agent Smith a bad guy? I mean, apart from wanting to destroy Neo & Co.

The war is happening because humans are enslaved to the Matrix, though they don’t know it.  Remember, the machines are using them as batteries.  The Machines are trying to dig into Zion to stop the resistance.  Agent Smith’s role was previously similar, though within the Matrix itself, as you’ve seen in part 1.  Problem is, ever since he’s been destroyed once by Neo, the process has given him free will.

Posted: 05 November 2004 04:31 AM   [ # 27 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Know It All
Total Posts:  6460
Joined  2004-12-22

Okay, okay, I think I’ve got it—now, my question is: How does Agent Smith have free will now through Neo destroying him? And what does free will do to Agent Smith now?

Posted: 05 November 2004 05:21 AM   [ # 28 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“Andreux”]Okay, okay, I think I’ve got it—now, my question is: How does Agent Smith have free will now through Neo destroying him? And what does free will do to Agent Smith now?

Smith mentions before the big fight in the alley that something in Neo may have “overwritten” Smith’s coding.  He then “knew what he had to do” (which is, return to the Source, like all deleted programs, as the Oracle explains), but he was “compelled to disobey, compelled to stay”, the same way Neo is compelled to reject the Matrix.

Posted: 05 November 2004 06:34 AM   [ # 29 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Know It All
Joined  2004-12-22

Okay, and do they both follow through with their desires? To reject the Source and the Matrix, respectively. I’m guessing Neo didn’t reject since, well, he does all that crap in the Matrix 😛 But as far as Agent Smith goes, I’m guessing he rejected it too since he’s still, well, alive. LOL

Iiiiiiiiii think I get it now!!

And okay, so what does free will do to Agent Smith? Why does it make him so “evil?” Neo has free will too, and he isn’t evil.

Posted: 05 November 2004 08:12 AM   [ # 30 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“Andreux”]Okay, and do they both follow through with their desires? To reject the Source and the Matrix, respectively. I’m guessing Neo didn’t reject since, well, he does all that crap in the Matrix 😛 But as far as Agent Smith goes, I’m guessing he rejected it too since he’s still, well, alive. LOL .

Yep yep, you got it.  It’s not a movie where you will figure it all out in one sitting.  It’s a thinking man’s action film.  :love:  The point is they are both “free.”

[quote author=“Andreux”] And okay, so what does free will do to Agent Smith? Why does it make him so “evil?” Neo has free will too, and he isn’t evil.

Smith has always hated the Matrix (see part 1’s conversation with Morpheus when he had him strapped to that chair).  This is despite his function being to essentially protect it from rebels. 

But as Neo’s power increases, so now does Smith’s, since they are sharing some type of code now.  Some of this is explained more in Revoultions, but I won’t spoil it for you.

The beauty of the Matrix films is that they are open to many interpretations.  I try to give the answers based on the face value of the film itself though.

Posted: 05 November 2004 04:40 PM   [ # 31 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2004-11-03

I liked the first Matrix, and I saw like 3/4ths of the second one… and I completely missed the third one. The second one wasn’t that entertaining for what I saw of it. And a few of my friends didn’t like it too much. But I was told that the last one was better than the second one was.

Posted: 05 November 2004 04:45 PM   [ # 32 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
You > Me
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2004-09-22

i walked out on the third one and i never walk out during movies

Posted: 05 November 2004 05:53 PM   [ # 33 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Know It All
Joined  2004-12-22

Thank you, Hector, for making more sense of this movie 😊 LOL Seriously, I think I’m good now. It’s a lot clearer :D

Posted: 06 November 2004 09:22 AM   [ # 34 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“socksgov”]i walked out on the third one and i never walk out during movies

It’s weird.  Many people liked the third better than the second, and for me it’s the other way around.  If you look at all action films coming out these days, they really don’t compare.

Posted: 06 November 2004 09:24 AM   [ # 35 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“Andreux”]Thank you, Hector, for making more sense of this movie 😊 LOL Seriously, I think I’m good now. It’s a lot clearer :D

No problem.  Should create a Matrix appreciation thread, seeing how I’m such a big fan.  Don’t like the heading to this thread.  :think:

Posted: 06 November 2004 10:09 AM   [ # 36 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

haha Matrix is very very complex. But once you understand it things make sense.

Posted: 09 November 2004 01:06 AM   [ # 37 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“gohan_bcc1”]haha Matrix is very very complex. But once you understand it things make sense.

People need to put effort into paying more attention and making connections from one film to the next.  I know I had to.

< 1 2
2 of 2