Musicmatch feature in other programs
Posted: 26 August 2004 06:14 PM     [ Ignore ]  
I'm A Regular
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2004-07-27

Ok, well here’s my problem I have a pretty large collection of mp3’s.. now most of them don’t have the album in the id3 tags.  Recently I decided to put all my mp3’s in folders by artist and album.  So i’ve been going through by hand and figuring out what albums the songs are from. 

Now I noticed that Musicmatch has a feature where you can pick an individual song and based on the info you already have (artist and song name) it will find the rest of the info.  Now I only really want this feature and don’t want to use the program for anything else so i’d really rather not buy one.  Can anyone suggest a program that will do this that is free?  I found programs that will do it if you have the whole album.. but most of my songs are just random mp3’s.. I want a program that will fix the id3 tag of an individual mp3 based on what you have for the artist and song name.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks!

Posted: 26 August 2004 07:07 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

I know there are programs out there that will use CDDB info, and based on track length and partial filenames it will find possible matches for them. I’ll google for you, results in the morning (I’m tired and have work in the AM)!!!!

Posted: 26 August 2004 07:16 PM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2004-07-27

yeah i found a few that do kind of like that.. but they would only fix complete albums.. like I would have to find the entire album.

but guess what.. I did a google search (musicmatch lookup tag feature) and stumbled upon a comparison for Windows Media.. turns out.. that will do what i’m looking for!  I don’t ever use Windows Media so I had no idea it would do this.. I tried it with one track and it gave me a choice of which album and edited it all.. looks good so far.  Feel sort of silly that I spent so much time looking around for something that would do this meanwhile windows media has been sitting right in front of my face.

Thanks anyway!

Posted: 26 August 2004 07:22 PM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

Phew! Glad you found it. I wasn’t having much luck. I wasn’t searching for musicmatch, though.

Yeah, Microsoft has a penchant for offering stuff that is already being sold… They are really destroying the software market. Firewalls, media players… they even have Microsoft PWS on the XP disk!!! Why use MS PWS when you could just use Apache?

Posted: 26 August 2004 07:45 PM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-07-16

hey spice is that with windows media player ver 9?

Posted: 26 August 2004 08:03 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
I'm A Regular
Joined  2004-07-27
[quote author=“cybeerman”]hey spice is that with windows media player ver 9?

yup..

it’s pretty good.. doesn’t find some of my rarer artists.. and with certain artists it’s only giving me best of’s when i want original albums.. but for the most part it’s tons better than me doing all this by hand.