Madden 2005 vs. ESPN NFL 2K5
Posted: 24 August 2004 07:12 AM     [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

Check out the article on the main page, or click here .

What are your opinions on the article, or on these games themselves?

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 24 August 2004 08:21 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2004-07-18

I also found that the QB can sometimes look more like a contortionist rather than a quarterback. Arms begin to move in funny ways and seem like they are attached to the shoulder pad directly.

Wow, you can totally see it too!

Posted: 24 August 2004 09:11 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2004-12-22

I’ve played both games (and I own stock in Electronic Arts so you might see where I am going with this but)...

this year alone I am giving it to ESPN NFL 2K5 for two reasons

- Presentation
- Price

Other reasons are how much the Sega series has grown when compared to the Madden series.

Gameplay is similar enough to call it a wash in that category so you have to look past it and move on to the other details.

Nothing is better than when you challenge a play in ESPN NFL 2K5 and you see the players showing that the guy WAS in bounds when he caught the ball, stuff like that draws you in.  Also, seeing the fans in the correct cloting in the stands and actually seeing them getting up and walking out if you are the home team and you are doing bad.

The ESPN broadcast with Berman and the highlights of the game are amazing.

Sad to say that EA let Sega catch up too much and better be on there toes for next year.  And also, I own stock in EA so the first week Madden sales made me a happy guy.

Posted: 24 August 2004 09:19 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Might As Well Be A Mod
Total Posts:  13561
Joined  2005-03-07

ESPN is taking over IMO. Well at least catching up hopefully next year this makes EA bring the prices of their game down. I know for sure im getting ESPN hockey of EA.

Posted: 24 August 2004 09:42 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“DougKaplan”]I’ve played both games (and I own stock in Electronic Arts so you might see where I am going with this but)....

Actually I didn’t see that coming, given the fact.  I’m going to have to get ESPN just because I haven’t played a football game since 2K1, so I know already it’ll be leagues better than what I had on the DC, regardless.  Plus I’m cheap.  :oops:

Posted: 24 August 2004 09:43 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“gohan_bcc1”]ESPN is taking over IMO. Well at least catching up hopefully next year this makes EA bring the prices of their game down. I know for sure im getting ESPN hockey of EA.

Yeah right.  Did you see the story about how they laughed at EA, saying “Well, it shows you the kind of crap quality they have this year, if they’re charging that little for it.”  [/paraphrase]

Posted: 24 August 2004 10:55 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

I already have Madden 2003, and NCAA Football 2004, so I was thinking about getting ESPN 2K5 since I didn’t want a new Madden yet. Well, as luck would have it, they didn’t make one for the Nintendo Gamecube. Why? Because Sega thinks their gamecube titles don’t sell as well.

This sucks. Its reasons like this that the gamecube fails… because people EXPECT it to fail. No one gives it a chance. Oh well, I guess I wont be buying any Sega games.

Posted: 24 August 2004 11:34 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

ESPN: 20 bucks….AAAAND its got carmen elektra in it. done deal. they win. no questions asked.

Posted: 24 August 2004 05:51 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-07-18
[quote author=“antman22”]ESPN: 20 bucks….AAAAND its got carmen elektra in it. done deal. they win. no questions asked.

What is she a cheerleader or something you get to **** in The Crib feature.  :?

Posted: 25 August 2004 07:46 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1022
Joined  2004-08-21

haha that would be great
i am going to have to play ESPN pretty soon
Madden doesn’t seem as impressive to me.

Posted: 25 August 2004 01:24 PM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2004-06-20

[quote author=“Tighr”]I already have Madden 2003, and NCAA Football 2004, so I was thinking about getting ESPN 2K5 since I didn’t want a new Madden yet. Well, as luck would have it, they didn’t make one for the Nintendo Gamecube. Why? Because Sega thinks their gamecube titles don’t sell as well.

This sucks. Its reasons like this that the gamecube fails… because people EXPECT it to fail. No one gives it a chance. Oh well, I guess I wont be buying any Sega games.

While I don’t play football games, let me enlighten you on this topic.

The sales of the Sega Sports games on Gamecube were dismal. Sometimes selling only in the couple thousands. With sales like that, would YOU continue selling them? (BTW, the correct answer is NO.)

With everyone complaining that Sega always makes bad decisions, I hardly heard anyone complain about this one, as it only made the most financial sense. There just isn’t an extremely lucrative market on the GC for sports games like on Xbox or PS2.

Posted: 25 August 2004 01:54 PM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  2574
Joined  2004-12-22

^^^^

And why is that? Because Nintendo needs to realize that people just MIGHT ENJOY playing their games online.

People want the most bang for their buck. Why buy a Gamecube version with less features, when you can pay the same amount for the same product which has more features?

Then again, the Gamecube version of Soulcalibur 2 sold better than both the PS2 and XBOX versions. Namco pushed that game hard.

Maybe its all about Nintendo’s advertising, or lack thereof? *remembers that God awful Super Mario Sunshine commercial”

Signature 

Gear Live Media Network:
Gadgets, Games, Television, Sports, Food, Social Media, Seattle Mind Camp, Andru, Apps

Posted: 25 August 2004 03:55 PM   [ # 12 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

SonOfDon, thats exactly my point. I wanted that game, but they aren’t making it because it makes financial sense. Why make the game for just me, when no one else will buy it? Just because i’m the only gamecube owner that wants it? Of course they wont do that.

But the problem is, WHY is that true? Why does the Nintendo Gamecube not have a sports market, and why do companies not make games for the GC? There has to be a reason. And I think that reason is that Nintendo has shot themselves in the foot with all this pokemon crap and kid-centric advertising, neglecting those of us who grew up with them and now have more mature tastes. Nintendo could have been the king of video games, but they continue to make absurd choices. It doesn’t stop me from being a Nintendo fanyboy (I always will be), but it does stop me from buying their next system if this continues. I just wont buy ANY game system.

Posted: 25 August 2004 05:11 PM   [ # 13 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

nintendo was trying to attract teh generation after us, the “pokemon” crew…while they did make a lot of money off pokemon and stuff of that sort, kids in general now have more mature tastes, preferring halo over mickey mouse….should they have realized their mistake in not diversifying and expanding their target market? yes. have they, not sure.

this is why you should never put all your eggs in one basket. high risk. you either win big, or lose big. but who knows, we dont know what nintendo has up their sleeves, and they’ve been in this gaming business forever, so maybe they have some sort of elaborate scheme to take over the world.

Posted: 25 August 2004 10:14 PM   [ # 14 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  1011
Joined  2005-01-15

Nintendo needs online. pplz like to play sports online now. its new competition.

Posted: 27 August 2004 05:56 PM   [ # 15 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2004-07-20

i think ESPN 2K5 is superior