Nintendo Patents key components of online gaming.
Posted: 21 August 2004 01:36 AM     [ Ignore ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  2662
Joined  2005-01-06

Just thought this was interesting. Way to go Nintendo:

Signature 

http://www.pacats.com

Posted: 21 August 2004 05:18 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

I don’t know how they got away with this, but its going to be interesting to see what happens.

This is one of the reasons I want to go to law school and become a patent lawyer. Some of these things are just plain rediculous.

Posted: 21 August 2004 05:38 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2004-12-22

you should read some stuff on cube.ign.com about some stuff nintendo patents.

most come to frutition and really give a heads up on there plans better than most press conferences do.

this “might” have something to do with the DS though.  I know its near the date its hitting stores but its confirmed the DS will have wireless access and online gaming.

Posted: 21 August 2004 06:29 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

This article was slashdotted a few weeks ago, and most of the discussion centered around this being for the Revolution, which might have a more centered approach for online gaming. Everyone was amazed this patent was approved because of X-Box live as prior art, but I think the patent was backdated to 1999 so that would be before xbox.

Posted: 21 August 2004 06:35 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-12-22

Nintendo is definitely throwing people for a loop with making the DS online ready, the Revolution possibly online enabled, and then the stance they take where they mention they dont want to invest money into online gaming because they dont see it being a sound financial investment because online gaming doesnt bring in money.

Posted: 21 August 2004 07:06 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Board Apprentice
Joined  2004-12-22

Haha, the way I see it, online gaming doesn’t bring in REVENUE, but it does bring in MONEY in the form of more systems/games/accessories sold. So maybe they can’t make money on charging for online play, but when 50 million households have your product, you probably made money.

Posted: 21 August 2004 07:12 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-12-22

interestingly enough…microsoft (i believe) is still losing money on each xbox sold, they were at least when the system first came out and i dont see why it wouldnt still be losing money especially with the price drop of the system.

nintendo has so many games for the gamecube that would make killer online games that its just a shame they didnt push the online for the cube.  i am not a fan of online gaming but can only imagine how awesome it would be for an online gamer to play super monkey ball, mario party, animal crossing, metroid prime, mario kart, mario golf, zelda four swords, crystal chronicles, etc… online and with other people.

as a die hard nintendo fan boy, the lack of online gaming (aside from PSO) really got me upset.  i didnt want online gaming but i cant even imagine how many more nintendo owners there would be if they had the online gaming enabled for most of these games.  the modem is available for the cube.  sony has the developers run the servers for the games and doesnt charge a monthly fee, this would be great for nintendo but unfortunately, nintendo makes most of the games above that i listed and would have to pay to run the servers themselves.  but i personally know tons of people who would pay good money for a monthly fee to play those games online.

ok, my hands are tired from typing.

[/rant]