SP2
Posted: 10 August 2004 03:57 PM     [ Ignore ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  2004-12-22

so…who’s got service pack 2 for windows? oh ya, don’t know if ya’ll knew, but the 80mb sp2 doesn’t have everything. the full pack is 266mb.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165b076b-aaa9-443d-84f0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

i hope they put in what they were missing first time through: security.

i think they beefed up the firewall…i know they made improvements to IE, but hell if i’m using IE again. I dont care what they did.

so far, i’m seeing nothing diff, cept the security feature they got…i guess it makes you feel safe, lol. i know it does a good job at blocking applications, such as steam/counterstrike. i’m too lazy to change all the permissions now, i’ll just wait til it prompts me to.

Posted: 10 August 2004 10:59 PM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2004-07-24

i’ll get to it when i’m at my friends house leeching off his cable, not worth my time on dialup.

Posted: 11 August 2004 01:42 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  2662
Joined  2005-01-06

I’m not downloading it yet—Microsoft already said it will ‘break’ a whole lot of 3rd party apps when installed due to the new security measures.  I’m allowing a 30 day cushion before I install it—I figure by that time fixes and/or workarounds will be developed for a majority of the ‘broken’ applications.

Signature 

http://www.pacats.com

Posted: 11 August 2004 01:57 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2004-08-04

I’ve heard from a couple people that the install blue screened their computer.  I’m waiting for it to be stable enough they list it in the windows update system.

Posted: 11 August 2004 10:54 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-12-22

it will “break” 3rd party apps? hrmm…so far nothign has happened to me, knock on wood. install was completely smooth for me. went well for two of my friends that i know have installed it also. went smoothly on my friend’s tablet pc too, and that sucker has been screwing up like crazy. he says it actually made the tablet usable now.

the only issues i’ve had is whenever i start up an app that uses the internet. it’ll pull up a prompt telling me that it has blocked access to it, but all i have to do is click “unblock” and everythign’s all good.

Posted: 11 August 2004 01:00 PM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  2662
Joined  2005-01-06

[quote author=“antman22”]it will “break” 3rd party apps? hrmm…so far nothign has happened to me, knock on wood. install was completely smooth for me. went well for two of my friends that i know have installed it also. went smoothly on my friend’s tablet pc too, and that sucker has been screwing up like crazy. he says it actually made the tablet usable now.

the only issues i’ve had is whenever i start up an app that uses the internet. it’ll pull up a prompt telling me that it has blocked access to it, but all i have to do is click “unblock” and everythign’s all good.

Well, I’m glad to hear that the install went smoothly…of course I have no first hand experience with SP2, and can only repeat what I read in a press release microsoft release to us in the IT dept.  Who knows, it may work flawlessly…I just don’t feel like re-ghosting/patching the 250 XP machines we use in our production lab.

Just my $.02

Signature 

http://www.pacats.com

Posted: 11 August 2004 02:11 PM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Board Mentor
Joined  2004-12-22

hehe, ya, on a large scale upgrade, i’d wait on it. for me, it was just one computer, mine. if it crashed, it wouldn’t of been a big deal to me, i’ve got a backup.

Posted: 12 August 2004 03:47 AM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2004-07-19

This thing is making my life harder.  We’ve got to push it out to around 3k PC’s, most on 256k frames but many on freaking dial ups.  Still in the test bed as of now, but I’m dreading the inevitable.