Laptop Cooling Pads?
Posted: 09 August 2004 10:07 PM     [ Ignore ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2004-07-24

I am considering getting one of these, but don’t know if they’re worth my time, so some input would be nice.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you probably can’t help me, but I’ll tell you what I mean anyway.

They are pads you put under your laptop which cool them through various methods, some by having exhaust fans, some by elevating them so the fans on the bottom of the computer have more circulation room, etc.

Posted: 12 August 2004 07:45 AM   [ # 1 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2004-06-20

At first I had no idea what you were talking about, but then when you described it, I realized my laptop had something similar.  It has an exhaust fan underneath it, and the back is elevated about a half inch off the surface of the desk. My last computer did not have this, and I think it does do a great bit of help keeping the parts from overheating… I can literally keep my comp running for days and it still run smoothly… I don’t know if the loads of fans are the cause, but… it sure does look cool! (I know this didn’t really help, sorry, I tried)

Posted: 12 August 2004 08:11 AM   [ # 2 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Initiation
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2004-08-11

Yes, Cooling pads are a great thing.

I have a gf4 4200 in my laptop and intensive use makes the temperature go HIGH. When I say high, it’s like 140-150!

If you get a coolpad, which I did, it allows for better airflow and thus a lower temperature.

Most likely this will extend the life of your laptop because it won’t have to deal with the higher temps.

my 2 cp:)

Posted: 20 August 2004 06:10 AM   [ # 3 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2004-07-30

I think they are a great idea, and do help.  However, I think they are WAY overpriced.

Go to Big Lots or a local “Everything is a dollar” store.  Find a metal TV Dinner tray (the kind with fold down legs you sit over your lap while on the couch).

The thin layer of metal will help dissipate heat from the bottom of your laptop, especially if you have the legs on the tray extended so air can flow on the underside.  You can also take an old USB cable and cheap CPU fan and add to it.

Might not be pretty, but it’s a fun mod project, works just as well and will cost less than $5.00.  Much better than the overpriced coolpads in my opinion.

....and even more modderific/cheaper solution….  If you drive by someone’s house that is getting fitted with vinyl siding, chances are they will be having gutter work done too.  See if you can find any scrap pieces of aluminum (for the siding or gutter).  Fold that into a pad type deal.

My dad has rolls of that stuff….hmmm, I should go into buisness *lol*

Posted: 20 August 2004 06:13 AM   [ # 4 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Board Apprentice
Total Posts:  2060
Joined  2004-12-22

Hah, I keep my laptop on my bed all day (don’t need it on the desk, have a desktop for that) and it just sits there on top of the comforter. Of course the spot its sitting on is hot when i pick it up, but I’ve never had heat problems with it…

Posted: 20 August 2004 06:21 AM   [ # 5 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
In The Club
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2004-12-22

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA241U

this is what I have and for the price, it is an ideal way to keep your laptop on your desk.

heat is always a problem on laps but when its stationary on a table, you might as well prop it up.  besides, it helps with typing at a better angle

Posted: 20 August 2004 08:16 AM   [ # 6 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2004-08-20

Hosnetly, the iCurve works wonders.  I know it’s awfully Mac-like, but I use one on both my Dell and my PowerBook and it’s great.

Posted: 23 August 2004 12:31 PM   [ # 7 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Board Mentor
Total Posts:  3333
Joined  2004-08-16

it is a great idea to get one.  Your laptop will live longer and happier.

Posted: 11 September 2004 10:41 PM   [ # 8 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Hi...I'm New...
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2004-09-11

It’s sounds like a great idea.  However, what is the best one to get at a reasonable price.  The Targus one looks pretty appealing.

Posted: 12 September 2004 04:07 AM   [ # 9 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-12-22

The Targus Podium Cool Pad is the best bang for your buck

$30 and you get the choice of 3 different heights for your laptop and it swivels 360 degrees

Posted: 12 September 2004 07:09 AM   [ # 10 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
I've Only Posted Once!
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2004-09-10

I personally use this fan:  

It works pretty well and is reasonably priced, but it’s not very well designed so it can break easily if dropped or anything.

Posted: 12 September 2004 07:37 AM   [ # 11 ]     [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
In The Club
Joined  2004-12-22

i’ll add that the targus is awesome because there are no moving parts, does not require electricity, and along with giving the laptop room to breath, the podium part allows for several viewing angles and speaking from experience, it makes for a much better typing situation